User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
jd2577 OP
The Boy Ruger

Oddometer: 82
Flash 2 Pass Compatibility

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct area. If not, let me apologize now.

Short story... if you're considering installing the Flash 2 Pass on your bike be sure to contact them and confirm the unit will work with the opener in your garage.

I installed the F2P on my '05 BMW R1200GS and really like the convenience and security it provides. So much so that I even considered adding these to the cages in the driveway. Well... after recently installing a new door opener, and failing to confirm compatibility with said new opener... I should know never to just assume... I quickly learned the F2P will not work with some opener models. Specifically, I bought the top-of-the-line Chamberlain opener from Lowes (Model LW5000EV) and found this problem a few months after the opener install. I contacted F2P and was told that, if the opener has a yellow "learn button" (which mine does), they cannot work with that model. I'm not going to explain the rest of the details. I simply wanted to put the advice out there because this was not something I had considered. If I would have, I would have bought another compatible opener. Oh well... live and learn I guess. Now I need to figure out with to do with the F2P and start carrying the operator again... or just get off the bike and enter the access code into the keypad every time I get home.
jd2577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 639
thanks for the heads up

curious why it took so long to figure out the openers weren't compatible ?

as far as companies I dealt with Chamberlain on My driveway alert system and what a great company!!

We also just tried to install a mid line Genie and after dealing with tech support and replacement parts We took the whole thing back to Home Depot and called an installer to supply and install LOL

ZEmann screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 07:09 AM
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 51
I have a Flash to Pass, and I have a garage with a yellow learn button, and it works great.

All you have to do, is to mount the F2P receiver (that goes in your garage) in parallel with the inside garage door opener switch.

Works like a champ.

This is all pretty clearly documented on their website;
http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/installation-help/

Quote:
Receiver Installation
The Flash2Pass™ receiver is even easier to install. There are two wires that go from the garage door opener motor to a pushbutton on the wall that you use to open the garage door from the inside.
After disconnecting the power to the garage door opener
Remove the pushbutton from the wall,
Undo the two wires from the back and
Attach them to the Flash2Pass™ receiver, and
Attach the receiver to the wall.
Turn the power back on, and that’s it!

If your current pushbutton console has functions other than to open the door, like light and lock switches, you can still keep those functions by using “jumper” wires from your current console to the Flash2Pass™ receiver. Complete instructions are included with every set and separate receiver.
Jeff
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
jd2577 OP
The Boy Ruger

ZEmann - the time delay was because I had the F2P originally installed in the garage at my house where it worked flawlessly. Over the last month or so I've been moving things into the fiancé's house which has the newer opener. A few days ago I decided to finally move the F2P and that's when the discovery happened.

udoggie - I might be doing something wrong with my wiring but I tried installing the receiver a couple different ways with no luck. First try was with the wiring running from the opener to the original pushbutton and then to the F2P. Second was to run from the opener to the F2P and then to the original button. Third, as recommended by F2P tech service, was to install the receiver close to the opener and run the wires directly to the opener terminals. None of these worked for me unfortunately. Called F2P back for more advice and was informed that the opener I have is the one they can't talk to. Something to do with the programming software within the opener. But I'm kind of suspicious now if you have the same opener and yours works just fine. May have to give it another try.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 213
I had a new garage door and opener installed yesterday. Thanks Costco.

My new high end LiftMaster 8550 opener, with a yellow antenna, is super smart, so smart it ignores my F2P receiver. I called F2P. They said to pop the receiver open and move the switch to "N"... I don't have a switch. The *yellow antenna identifies the receiver software in the opener.

My F2P is properly wired, directly in to the opener. I was told I have an old style F2P receiver. I need to upgrade to the newer receiver. Cost around $70, choose one of these models 103300 , 103100 or 103102. They suggested eBay, Amazon, Home Depot, Local Moto Shop.

* Edit the purple wire is "most likely" to work. The yellow wire antenna is not compatible with F2P

06 FJR1300 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 14 Tiger 800 03 CRF 230

mikeysduck screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 10:45 AM Reason: Better Information
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
jd2577 OP
The Boy Ruger

My F2P is just about a year old and I have the receiver with the dip switch. I've tried it with the switch in both settings and have had no luck. Weird thing is, the red light on the receiver blinks as it should when properly connected. I think my specific problems lies with the programming software internal to the opener I have and the software purposely preventing the F2P from operating the opener. Or at least that's the understanding I got from talking with F2P customer service.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
udoggie
Top Dog

For the folks who are having problems, are you running the wires from the F2P switch that mounts inside the garage to the back of your opener, wiring it in parallel with the existing garage wall switch?

That was all I had to do to make things work for me.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Still not right

Got my new updated F2P receiver yesterday. Installed it this AM.

Hooked up per instructions, dip switch set, positive and negative are properly attached. 12.11V at the back of the F2P from the opener. The F2P is wired directly into the opener, via its own set of wires.

The new F2P receiver flashes the LED, per the instructions. The receiver appears to accept my old transmitter, as added.
The manual button on the new receiver will not open or close the door. Flashing the lights, on the bike, will not operate the door. This transmitter, on this bike, was working fine until I got the new Liftmaster 8550 opener.

I have another call into F2P. I hope to hear from them Monday.

I now have 2 old receivers, one new receiver and 5 transmitters. A big pile of non functioning hardware.

I'm sure the eBay vendor doesn't want this thing back if F2P can't get it working.

06 FJR1300 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 14 Tiger 800 03 CRF 230
Old 10-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
udoggie
Top Dog

Basically, the F2P inside receiver basically just closes the connection between the two wires.

What happens if you touch the two wires together at the back of the garage door opener?

If nothing happens, then the opener is different than than most every other one on the market, and no after-market opener accessories are likely to work with it.

Jeff
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
jd2577 OP
The Boy Ruger

udoggie - I tried wiring mine both in parallel and in series with no luck.

I'm really thinking my issues, and possibly yours too mikey, are with the security software within the opener. The red light blinks on the receiver as it should but neither the F2P receiver button nor the transmitter on the bike will operate the door. It's acting like the opener is purposely ignoring the F2P, thinking its a security risk.

EDIT: udoggie, I'll try your last suggestion and see it that works. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
udoggie
Top Dog

FYI, if you wire the switches in series, they would only work when you push both of them at the same time. You would definitely need to wire them in parallel.

In parallel, it should trigger if either of the switches are pushed.

I'm starting to wonder if they are doing something wonky with the switch. I'll do some googling and see if I can find anything more about it.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
udoggie
Top Dog

FYI, on page 14 of the manual for the 8550, it says;

"NOTE: Older Liftmaster door controls and third party products are not compatible"

Looks like you might be screwed, sorry.

(I found the manual at;

http://www.liftmaster.com/CatalogRes...s/114A4243.pdf

Jeff
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Just talked to F2P again. The technical guru was in today. The Purple wire antenna in "most likely" usable, the previously mentioned yellow wire antenna is a no go. The F2P recommended I attempt to return the new receiver to the eBay store. If they wont take an open item, F2P will send me an unopened package to return!
Jumping the wires does not work. It's way beyond a simple switch.

Looks like I'll be buying a hand full of battery operated openers. Back to carrying one in a pocket and fumbling around for the open button in the driveway.

I looked at used Homelink openers on eBay. My Lift Master came with a Homelink repeater, to work with my car. The Homelink transmitters look big in the photos. I know they fit in sun visors. Homelinks are not water proof, or resistant. I don't want to start cutting holes in fairings.