User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Matt fe2o3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Battery Tenders - different brains?

So if this needs to be merged or whatever feel free.

Topic is observations on performance difference without conclusion (I am after the conclusion) between the Battery Tender (BT) branded Jr. and the Plus models.

In history I have had a BT Jr. keeping watch on my non-Yuasa YTX-14-BS for a couple years. It was a pre-charged job that I dropped in and away I went. The OEM Yuasa was never really that strong and I suspect it was a shelf battery (or used) dropped in without full charge at time of sale by the ass-clown dealer (but thats another series of stories).

Recently I needed to charge a pair of Yuasa NP7-12's. I decided to buy and additional BT and selected the "Plus" model, as I already had the JR. Here is where the observations come in.

Both on the bike and on the NP7-12's the Plus takes a lot longer to go solid green than the Jr. For sure the output of the Plus is higher at bulk charge than the Jr., however why on earth the full-charge solid green takes longer I cannot explain.

Does the Plus have an additional charging step that the Jr. does not have?

Kinda curious and not sure exactly what is up. While it is nice to think the Plus doing a more thorough job than the Jr., I'm without experience reports of others to compare..

Your own experiences with these two would be interesting. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only dude that has both models in his garage.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,073
I observed the same thing... the Jr. never went green on a couple AGM batts I had, the Plus did. slight voltage threshold differences, I suspect
Old 10-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
bikefreak47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
My two Jrs. and two +'s do the same thing on a bunch of different bikes. The Jrs. will be solid green within 30 to 60 minutes. +'s may take 4 to 12 hours. The +'s also show a considerably higher voltage- 13.5 to 13.8 volts when solid green while the Jrs. show about 12.99 volts when solid green.
bikefreak47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Matt fe2o3 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak47 View Post
My two Jrs. and two +'s do the same thing on a bunch of different bikes. The Jrs. will be solid green within 30 to 60 minutes. +'s may take 4 to 12 hours. The +'s also show a considerably higher voltage- 13.5 to 13.8 volts when solid green while the Jrs. show about 12.99 volts when solid green.
Ok, so far sounds normal enough...
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
check the FAQ

Copied from Deltran's website:

"Since mid-2006 the only major functional difference between the BTJR and the BT Plus is the maximum amplitude of the charger current, 0.75 and 1.25 amperes, respectively. Even though the marketing description may still be applicable, again, in a limited context, we can say now that the BTJR has a larger brain that enables it to create maximum charge effectiveness with minimal output current amplitude.
After connecting the BTJR to a battery and then applying AC power, it first conducts a number of checks during Initialization Mode to ensure that the battery functioning normally. Then it will deliver its full charge at a constant rate of 0.75 amperes. This is called the Bulk Charge Mode. The battery voltage will rise and when it reaches a predetermined level the BTJR will hold the battery charge voltage constant at that level, allowing the charge current amplitude to drop. This is the Absorption Charge Mode. The Absorption Charge Mode is complete when the battery charge current drops below a very low value, usually below 1/8 ampere. Some BTJR models have timers to limit the duration of the Absorption Charge Mode.
After the current drops or the allotted time expires (typically several hours), the BTJR automatically switches to a Float / Maintenance Charge Mode. The purpose of the Float / Maintenance Charge Mode is to maintain the battery voltage just slightly (typically between 1/10 and volt) above where it would be if it were fully charged and sitting at rest. This keeps the battery topped off at voltages well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery
."

Based on this it sounds like the Plus should be faster, not slower to green light status than the Jr.

I have 3 Jr. models, so no basis for comparing them. I would email Deltran and ask.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
One of my jrs stopped going to steady green. I thought it was one of my battery's until I swapped two jrs and the same one on a different bike wouldn't go steady green. Bought another jr and no problems. The new one looks a little different.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,055
I have two "smart chargers". One is the original Deltran, & the other is a Yuasa "smart shot" 1.5 A.
When the Yuasa is hooked up to a bike, it will achieve float, then after a couple days all the LEDs go out, as if it's unplugged. I returned it & the new one does the same thing. If I unplug it & start over it goes through the same cycle. BUT, if the battery is removed from the bike, it will stay lit in float mode.
The Deltran has been no trouble.