User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #886
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 214
Silicone Seal Tube Dries Out? Try This

I kept finding my tubes of silicone seal dried out. It's just not a product I use all the time.

Now, I generously wrap the threads, of the tube, with teflon tape. Replace the cap as normal and the drying out process is considerably slowed or stopped. I teflon taped my first tube this past May. I just opened it. It was like a new tube. It might be a good idea to add more tape after you open the tube.

I don't know if this is posted elsewhere, but it's working for me.

In the past I tried a plastic bag between the cap and tube, vaseline over the end on the tube... No Help.

14 Tiger 800 For Sale 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 03 CRF 230
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #887
staikosn1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
The oil filter stuck once in a year ago... BUT we did the job.

staikosn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #888
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 626
I remember a time I used three batteries, two or three sets of jumper cables, and some scrap iron to do an emergency roadside frame repair on a $75 Isuzu pickup I used to have. Glad I had some ARC rod on board!

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #889
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by staikosn1 View Post
The oil filter stuck once in a year ago... BUT we did the job.
Looks like a BMW filter, them sure have a thick skin and not easy to cut into.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #890
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorguy1979 View Post
I remember a time I used three batteries, two or three sets of jumper cables, and some scrap iron to do an emergency roadside frame repair on a $75 Isuzu pickup I used to have. Glad I had some ARC rod on board!
Won't a wire coathanger also work as welding rod in a pinch?
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #891
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post

I've used them as braze rod before.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #892
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,797
I'm not a welder but every time I've seen a coat hanger used to weld something it does not come out "Brazed". It looks "tacked". Maybe strong enough but when a guy put my muffler's on this way I was not happy. I did borrow a gas outfit and brazed them myself later and actually I did a pretty good job. (was maybe just luck)

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #893
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I'm not a welder but every time I've seen a coat hanger used to weld something it does not come out "Brazed". It looks "tacked". Maybe strong enough but when a guy put my muffler's on this way I was not happy. I did borrow a gas outfit and brazed them myself later and actually I did a pretty good job. (was maybe just luck)

I've seen ARC welds that couldn't hold up to a hard stare, all things worth doing, are worth doing right-ish....

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #894
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,562
Quote:
I've seen ARC welds that couldn't hold up to a hard stare

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #895
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
I've used them as braze rod before.
Well technicality brazing would involve brass brazing rods, Gas welding (hotter than brazing) on the other hand would work but both pieces would have to be real clean and itis a weld base metal melting to other base metal with coat hanger as filler.

Brazing doesn't melt base metal it softens it to adhere to it.

Most braze rods need flux to remove the impurities like flux in soldering some brazing rods are flux coated some are not and use a separate container of flux.

tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #896
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 165
bead breaking

I was trying to get the tire off my 59 ford 3/4 ton it had snap ring wheels at that time. The tire was an old real 8 ply tire on for years I was lifting the whole front of the pick up off the ground with my handy man jack on the tire no luck, rusted on. My neighbor came by said he would haul me and the tire to town but first pour coca cola around the bead and wait 20 minutes. I did and it pushed right off when i started to jack again.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #897
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysduck View Post
I kept finding my tubes of silicone seal dried out. It's just not a product I use all the time.

Now, I generously wrap the threads, of the tube, with teflon tape. Replace the cap as normal and the drying out process is considerably slowed or stopped. I teflon taped my first tube this past May. I just opened it. It was like a new tube. It might be a good idea to add more tape after you open the tube.

I don't know if this is posted elsewhere, but it's working for me.

In the past I tried a plastic bag between the cap and tube, vaseline over the end on the tube... No Help.

Simpler fix: Before screwing the cap back on, squeeze the tube such that some of the RTV comes out and as you screw the cap shut, there should be some RTV pushed along the the thread in front of the cap.

This will cure - till the end of the thread. The stuff in the nozzle will stay uncured. Remove the old, cured RTV the next time before you shut the cap again, and as before, squeeze some RTV onto the thread as you start screwing the cap back on.

Alternative - Use the conical dispenser. After you finish, just let it be. The material will cure in the dispenser (pretty easy to remove as is is conical plastic), but not inside the nozzle. While threading the dispenser back on, try ensure that there is some RTV on the nozzle thread.
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #898
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
I have heard of doing this with some newspaper tightly wrapped around the coathanger. As it burns off the smoke creates a cloud of gas to keep the metal from oxidizing too bad. Crude version of flux on the outside of real welding rods.
broncobowsher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #899
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
Z-axis scaling.

When trying to measure something and all you have is a finger and a phone, take a photo. Later, when you pull the photo up on your computer and you realize that your fingertip isn't lined up with the edge of the item and it's way bigger than real life, place the same finger between your eye and the photo until they're the same apparent size, then measure the item in the photo from the distance that your finger is sitting.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #900
Ardyjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I once worked as a bus mechanic. One day got a road call for a no air situation, and arrived to find one of the discharge valves on the 2 cylinder air compressor had shattered and holed one piston.
I bummed a quarter off of the driver and placed it under the discharge valve retainer. This blocked the holed cylinder from the good one allowing it to pump air , and got the bus back to the shop without a huge towing bill.
Ardyjay is offline   Reply With Quote