Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
I really like the Xs 750. I put loads of miles on them in the 80's.

Gearbox designed by Getrag and then built by the japs using screws made from cheese. - you may know this but there's a large Allen bolt on the end of one of the gear shafts, the heads on the bolts had a nasty habit of snapping off allowing two gears to be selected at the same time. I've seen the carnage when this happens on a couple of occasions.

Just take the Allen bolt out and fit a decent quality bolt in its place. Good insurance for a $1 or so.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #17
Krantz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thanks Rob! Yes i'm browsing the net for info in these.
Seems like main issues are 2-nd gear,and possibly leaking petcocks.
Haven't got far today with it.Mostly prepared workplace-bench,place for parts that wil come off, etc.
Took the exhaust off,front and rear brake calipers,sprayed everything with "liquid wrench"-what a devilish concoction! Very agressive,gives me massive headache, but works!
Calipers came off easy.So far i like this clever little fella.Comparing to my airhead,which was designed and executed with engineering superioroty and elegance in mind ,this thing had simplistic approach.They probably figured something like a template to create a motorcycle and after that promised bonuses to anyone who made it simpler yet.
But gyus,please continue to chime in- any little bit of info is greatly appreciated.

Krantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #18
Krantz OP
Adventurer

I'm slowly taking it apart.After decade and a half under the sky some stuff is frozen, other is just fine.Ignition looks really clean.Front brakes are frozen solid, rear is not bad.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Put it in top gear, pull in the clutch, roll downhill, dump clutch.

I'll either free up the engine or crash interestingly.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
Krantz OP
Adventurer

The engine turns.Wheels turn.Brake calipers a free.

I wonder who designed fuel petcocks like that.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Krantz OP
Adventurer

Had a little time to work today-removed carbs,airbox,tried to pull out battery box- not without taking rear wheel off.
One of the carbs has traces of water damage inside by the butterfly.

Then i found that the middle slider moves ok, the ones on each side are stuck.

And a little mistery inside the airbox- what happened that melted it like that?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
Krantz OP
Adventurer

Interesting. PO told me that at some point the engine has been rebuilt.It certainly looks very clean.I took valve cover off- pristine!

Can't see any wear on cam lobes. So if this is so good- do you think i should take the head off to see why it was seized? Or try to fire it up like that?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,074
" So if this is so good- do you think i should take the head off to see why it was seized? Or try to fire it up like that?"

I already chimed in... not just some armchair mechanic, decades of professional mechanic experience counseling you.
If you don't listen to me then later you will

Keep up the photos, story please!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #24
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 295
I would strip and do the necessary inspections prior to running the bike. You do not know what is rusted or corroded internally. Gas contamination removes the oil film. BTW that cam is very dry.

Given the corrosion on the motor on the outside it would be wise to do a proper investigation prior to any startups. If there is rust or corrosion in the motor your eventual bill will be Large if you try a startup now. Find out why the motor is seized first!
2014 KTM 1190R
manxkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #25
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,104
I guess it depends.
If you really like a bike, for whatever reason, it is worth it to fix it up.
If you are looking to get off easy money wise, old bikes in bad shape are not a good bet.

You can also fix something up just good enough to ride, and not make it look good, which saves a boat load of cash, but many can not resist spending money to make a bike look better.
You find that brand new front fender on ebay for $75.00, or whatever and before you know it the bike looks like new, you spent as much as a new bike costs, and its value is 1/4 of what you have into it.

That works if you like old bikes, they do not make them any more, now you get plastic covers liquid cooled things with bad seats.

I got an old bike cheap, and am not worried about looks as its a dual sport.
They do not make anything like it now, a 220 pound bike with good suspension in an air cooled 4 stroke full size bike version.

I have about $1000.00 into it over time so far, and its been great fun to play with in the garage.

I will likely not make money on the bike, but I have a 220 pound full size bike with good suspension to ride in the dirt...which is what I want.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #26
Krantz OP
Adventurer

Concours- if by listening to you means run away fast- while i appreciate it- already a little too late.Today went to lic. bureau and made a transfer- this baby is officially mine.So we have to get along somehow.But thank you all the same-any info is valuable.Mechanics are pretty straightforward on it,but still i'm careful to apply any force- anything broken is hard to replace. So far the only thing that bothers me is the oil filter- i cannot remove it.The bolt is seized solid. Maybe i will grind it off just to take the cover off, to see what is inside.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,104
Yes, any water that gets in the carbs will run into the motor, but will not get to the cams.
Besides, new gaskets and seals on the top end would be a real good idea.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krantz View Post
Concours- if by listening to you means run away fast- while i appreciate it- already a little too late.Today went to lic. bureau and made a transfer- this baby is officially mine.So we have to get along somehow.But thank you all the same-any info is valuable.Mechanics are pretty straightforward on it,but still i'm careful to apply any force- anything broken is hard to replace. So far the only thing that bothers me is the oil filter- i cannot remove it.The bolt is seized solid. Maybe i will grind it off just to take the cover off, to see what is inside.

NP, don't mean to offend, just trying to get the point across. Do as you see fit, I'll be here watching the progress. ALL those oil filter bolts locked up, people evertightened them. I always took a large nut and TIG welded it on the head of it in situ.. A proper six point socket could also work if it's not too bitched up to start with.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Krantz OP
Adventurer

Quote:
NP, don't mean to offend, just trying to get the point across. Do as you see fit, I'll be here watching the progress. ALL those oil filter bolts locked up, people evertightened them. I always took a large nut and TIG welded it on the head of it in situ.. A proper six point socket could also work if it's not too bitched up to start with.
No offense at all! I'm flattered you read it(holy crap, someone is interested!) For a moment i was going to stop-no one posted reply.Get your beer,popcorn, whatever you like!
Here is where it gets nasty:

What is the best way to clean the carb? All i have at the moment is break parts cleaner. It is good for many things,but not this.And those floats- do you think they are salvageable?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
Krantz OP
Adventurer

NJ _Brett
Quote:
That works if you like old bikes, they do not make them any more, now you get plastic covers liquid cooled things with bad seats.
That's just it- i like old(er) bikes.Modern stuff is fine, but somehow is... well, you probably know.That is why a lot of inmates have more than one.After fiddling with my slash 6 for a while i got a question from my much better half- what modern bike would you like to have(meaning not wrenching but ride)? My first thought "Am i lucky or what?" My second thought was - hm-m-m! What bike indeed? To answer that required a trip to our local Yamaha-Aprilla-Kawa- everything dealer.Just to look and compare.You know,what I'm talking about. So you can enjoyably burn coupla hrs walking around.Forget about time.Daydream a little.
So the first thing you see-plastic.Lots of it.
Then you realize- all these bikes are huge-ass machines!Like ford f350 on 2 wheels.Or cute little scooters.Then you go to the second floor. Aha! Moto Guzzi! They have racer.
Too flashy.Nice,but too much bling to my taste.and G-7 classic.Nice, but something is missing.It's white,and simple- i would rather see it in red.And it requires some modification,don't even know what.If i would like to get something modern,it would be Kawasaki W650.Or you guessed it- TU250.
I started riding in 7th grade.My first bike was pile of parts that i brought home one summer day. My mom almost had a heart attack.Nobody believed it would ride again. Took me 1 month,i was on the road. So to me,when i look at the bike and seat on it,i smell gas,my hands are dirty,tools clanking under the seat-that gets me excited.Yep! I'm officially old!
So to return to the idea of this yamaha- no plans to make it showpiece.I just want to bring it to nice,tidy condition and ride it.After all, when you stop at the light,how many of these you see next to you?Chances are it's some HD or crotch rocket(nothing against either one)