Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
elizilla OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 10
New sidecar rider stranded in PA - can anyone help?

Hello,

This weekend I sold one of my sidecar outfits to my friend George. This morning he left my house in Michigan on the BMW K75 sidecar outfit, to ride it home to NYC.

He is now stranded on I-80 near Loganton PA. He thinks maybe the battery didn't like to support his electric heated gear. Or something. It's stone dead and he's had to call for road service. I feel kinda bad that I sent him out on this trip and now he's having trouble.

He still needs to get back to NYC in time for work on Monday morning. And it's not like motorcycle batteries, or BMW mechanics, are easily found in rural Pennsylvania, especially on a Sunday. George is pretty resourceful and can work on his own bikes, but he only has what he was able to carry on the plane when he flew to Michigan on Friday. He could use some local help, if anyone is within range to go. If you can help, please drop me a PM and I will put you in touch with him.

Thanks!
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 946
New hack Pilot is me!

I did truly have a dead battery. I was cruising well on the interstate, but I had my heated gear on, gloves and jacket, as well as the factory aux lights, and I'm fairly certain it all overwhelmed the 33 amp alternator on the bike.

Some good info out there suggested to upgrade to the 50 amp alternator available on some later K-bikes.

I got a jump, after figuring out how get to the battery without removing the ignition module (though of course I first took about half the bike apart under the seat), and made sure to kill all the lights and heated gear before pulling over for more gas.

I made it home to Brooklyn about 5:30 am.

Thanks for throwing up the thread! Now, lots to figure out about how to fix that seat....it looks like my GF is the perfect size to drive it though!
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 969
Glad you was able to ride it on in. All that gear is a good reason to add a full size battery in the car, it takes a lot longer to run down. You could also add a relay to shut down a separate fuse block, at a certain voltage, that the gear and auxiliary lights are hooked to.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,468
Glad all worked out. If I would have seen your post in time we could have come out there. You were only about 30 miles or so from us.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
elizilla OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 10
George, glad to hear you made it OK.

I am told that those factory driving lights are desirable unobtanium for that bike. But they're also old technology halogens. I bet some of your LEDs would eat less power, and then just sell the factory driving lights to someone who cares more about authenticity than functionality.

Also, the heated grips with the two settings probably just have that basic resistor wiring. When I have wired my own from scratch, I throw away the resistor junk and wire them to use a proper 'troller. Why waste your scarce wattage, heating a resistor?
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
MILLENNIUM FALCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I wish I had seen this when it happened I'm only about 5 minutes from there. Glad it worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
Hello,

This weekend I sold one of my sidecar outfits to my friend George. This morning he left my house in Michigan on the BMW K75 sidecar outfit, to ride it home to NYC.

He is now stranded on I-80 near Loganton PA. He thinks maybe the battery didn't like to support his electric heated gear. Or something. It's stone dead and he's had to call for road service. I feel kinda bad that I sent him out on this trip and now he's having trouble.

He still needs to get back to NYC in time for work on Monday morning. And it's not like motorcycle batteries, or BMW mechanics, are easily found in rural Pennsylvania, especially on a Sunday. George is pretty resourceful and can work on his own bikes, but he only has what he was able to carry on the plane when he flew to Michigan on Friday. He could use some local help, if anyone is within range to go. If you can help, please drop me a PM and I will put you in touch with him.

Thanks!
MILLENNIUM FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Sorry no help, but I'll keep my eye out for a hack in NYC. good luck on your ride..
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
mac85
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
FWIW, I have a K75 with the 32A alternator, and I've yet to have issues running heated jacket and gloves (though generally not at full power), plus Rigid Dually LED aux lights and rear running lights. Thought I might have issues, but so far so good.

Might be worth considering selling the factory aux lights to someone who's dying to have them and replacing with some nice bright LEDs. Enjoy the K!
mac85 is offline   Reply With Quote