User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267

Welcome to northeast ohio.

I know a guy that does oil spray in canal fulton out of his garage, Did that one winter and my truck still got noticeably rustier. I just bought this peice of shit to drive in the winter instead.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
Motocicletta OP
ridetowork

Oddometer: 477
A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post

I know a guy that does oil spray in canal fulton out of his garage, Did that one winter and my truck still got noticeably rustier. I just bought this peice of shit to drive in the winter instead.
Can one argue that in this case rust starts from the inside of doors and unibody?

Condensation, no or little paint on the inside surfaces, paint and rust treatments will never get inside the rocker panels.

Thanks for the poignant pic. I like the Porsche style window lift.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 461
I'll add my 2 here as well, having grown up in Colorado and lived all over the place.

Studs are definitely pointless for city driving, and as others have pointed out, most states only allow their use in the winter. We didn't have this problem in Colorado, as the clicking of my studs on pavement one year in August reminded everyone (my apologies to the DOT).

That said, a lot of the studdable winter tires are a harder compound than the studless Blizzak-type tires and will last significantly longer when used on pavement. I like General's Altimax Arctic, which is the tire formerly known as the Gislaved Nord-Frost 3 (Continental owns both companies, so the discontinued Gislaved molds made their way to Germany to turn out more tires). They hold up nicely, grab pretty well even without studs and are among the cheapest snow tires on the market now. Firestone's Winterforce is a similar tire, but it does make more noise. If you have a Nokian dealer, the Nordman 4 is a discontinued Nokian Hakkapeliitta design and should also be cheapish and relatively long-lasting.

The less performance-oriented all-seasons also do decently well in snow: the blockier the tread pattern and the deeper the sipes, the better.

As for rustproofing, wash it. Then wash it again. And it'll still rust, but it'll rust less if you keep the salt off. Freaking Subaru. It blows my mind that a brand specifically marketed at people who live in areas with snowy winters is one of the most poorly rustproofed available. They tend to rust through in places not covered by an old-school oil or wax spray, though, so that's not worth it.

Quote:

I've seen a few Focuses (Foci?) like that here too. I gotta wonder what the hell Ford was smoking when they built those. That's some 1960s rust right there. Volvo and Saab seem to have figured it out in the 80s, and so did Ford in the 90s, but wtf happened on these?! I've seen that model Focus with (very light) rust in Los Angeles.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
FluidFilm

I use FluidFilm. Lanolin based so it keeps my cars skin moist and wrinkle free

Seriously though, it doesn't react with the plastics (some sprays swell or discolor plastics) but does a good job of keeping the chemicals off of the metal (what little metal there is in my Chevy Cruze).

I got my can from Amazon and have used it on 1 bike (Ural) and 1 car (Cruze) for 2 years now. I spray the wheel wells, the rocker panels and as far as I can underneath.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
Smoke Eater 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I own a business with a fleet of cars. We use Blizzaks exclusively in the winter. They're amazing. We can get 3 winters out of a set if we take them off before warmer weather hits. If you run them in the summer, you will burn them right off though.

For rust proofing, we spray our under carriages with Boeshield T-9. A gallon is about $100 and I can do three cars with a gallon in a pump sprayer. It lasts a couple of winters. Fluid film is all the rage here in Maine. It works too but doesn't last as long and makes the vehicle a pain in the ass to work on.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,639
I bought a new '04 Impreza in Oct '03, and had it oil sprayed and undercoated within 2 weeks of purchasing. I did it annually, (or bi-annually, as I had a couple lay-offs) for the first 7-8 years of ownership. Then I noticed rust starting on my rear fenders, so I stopped throwing good money after bad.

I won't do that again.

Blizzaks on a Subaru are awesome in winter. When they wore out I replaced them with Nokian Hakkapellitas. Both are fantastic winter tires. I live on a city street that is very far down on the plowing priority list, so it isn't always done the day snow falls, sometimes not at all. Several times I have stopped the Impreza (2.5 normally aspirated automatic trans) on an unplowed street that, after a day of being compacted by cars, was packed to ice. I can floor it with the front wheels straight and I CANNOT MAKE THE WHEELS SPIN.

Also, look at local conditions to decide whether the issue is more snow or ice, since all winter tires are better for one or the other. City driving tends to be icy, and rural tends to be deeper snow. Regardless, any decent winter tire is light-years better than any all season. The differences are not just in the tread design, but also rubber compounds; winter tires are designed for traction at lower temperatures.

If you need new summer tires and new winter tires, the Nokian WR-G2 are supposed to be a good compromise for year-round use.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I don't envy those of you who live where they use salt on the roads. Out here in Wyoming they just use sand which is nice because it doesn't destroy vehicles as bad (except the normal Wyoming Windshield Casualites)

My Subaru is a 2005 with 111k miles on it and not one spot of rust anywhere. I run Goodyear Ultra Grip snow tires year round and they last good and the grip is excellent in dry, snow or mud.

G
Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
Motocicletta OP
ridetowork

Done Deal

Not wanting to change wheels and tires Ms. Motocicletta called Tire Rack and was told not to drive year around on the ones with the snow mountain logo because they are too soft.

So we got Continental Extreme Contact DWS, not the advrider way (Nokian Hakkapeliitta) but what she and her old man can do, no wheel changes or studs.

I thought that the thread was blocky and with a good number of sipes.

The tires on the car now are the originals from 2008 and are 50% worn, so new tires should make an improvement, the Continetals have letter wear indicators that say what wear is good for snow, rain or summer.

It turns out that the underside of the Impreza is washed at every snow season's end.

We appreciate all the help,

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS

Motocicletta screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 11:26 PM
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstanfield View Post
I don't envy those of you who live where they use salt on the roads. Out here in Wyoming they just use sand which is nice because it doesn't destroy vehicles as bad (except the normal Wyoming Windshield Casualites)

My Subaru is a 2005 with 111k miles on it and not one spot of rust anywhere. I run Goodyear Ultra Grip snow tires year round and they last good and the grip is excellent in dry, snow or mud.

G
You wouldn't be the guy from Wyoming riding a GS I met last summer? Had to tell him that the mud caked on his bike was salted, they do that here for dust abatment.Being from Wyoming he wasn't aware of that. Corrosive all year some of our roads, I bet there is rust on my rotors again today.

Gotta go and spray my bike with Salt-Away. May do the car at the same time.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #25
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
Those contis are pretty good. But still not a snow tire like the blizzaks.

A good modern studless snow tire IMO works better than a studded tire, even on ICE.

No problem running them in the winter except that you will eat through in the rubber in a very short time. Only the top half of most snow tires are the good rubber. Then it is just plain ol all season

I have two sets of wheels and tires for all our vehicles. Seems like what ends up happening is I run fresh winters for the winter. And old winters for the summer.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
Motocicletta OP
ridetowork

Contis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Those contis are pretty good. But still not a snow tire like the blizzaks.

A good modern studless snow tire IMO works better than a studded tire, even on ICE.

No problem running them in the winter (Summer?) except that you will eat through in the rubber in a very short time. Only the top half of most snow tires are the good rubber. Then it is just plain ol all season

I have two sets of wheels and tires for all our vehicles. Seems like what ends up happening is I run fresh winters for the winter. And old winters for the summer.
I am not 100% on the Contis, but It was the best we could do, no swapping wheels, no studs, no driving with snows in the summer, easy for her to buy from Tirerack and a close by installer. The Nokian all season have way more sipes, but there was not a dealer nearby.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Old 10-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #27
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 5,070
Those tires are going to suck compared to a snow tire. No one from tire rack is going to tell you it is safe to drive on snow tires in the summer, they will sell you an all season every time even though a snow tire would be the best for your needs.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #28
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
They use so much damn salt here you could drive on bald ass summer tires. Those tires will not suck. They'll be fine. Youre not crossing tundra with them.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #29
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
They use so much damn salt here you could drive on bald ass summer tires. Those tires will not suck. They'll be fine. Youre not crossing tundra with them.

How many sets of snow tires have you used? and which ones were they?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #30
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
You wouldn't be the guy from Wyoming riding a GS I met last summer? Had to tell him that the mud caked on his bike was salted, they do that here for dust abatment.Being from Wyoming he wasn't aware of that. Corrosive all year some of our roads, I bet there is rust on my rotors again today.

Gotta go and spray my bike with Salt-Away. May do the car at the same time.

No sir, it wasn't me. I ride a VFR, no GS in teh stable at this time.