User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
it matters for MRI's too...

I needed to get an MRI awhile back and they asked if I had done any grinding or welding and I have done both....had to get my eyeballs Xray'd before they would do the MRI (fortunately no metal was detected, especially steel)....evidently the magnetic field is strong enough that steel fragments in your eyeballs would move towards the electromagnets during the MRI
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
Drilldogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
quoteThey don't "drill" into the eyes; they put some colorant (to locate the thing) and anesthetic drops and use some microscope and special tools to remove the piece of metal.
Lastly, they prescribe some antibiotics and cover your eye for a few days (so you stop blinking).
The cut or puncture naturally heals without scars in the cornea that could reduce the vision, unless it gets infected.quote

They DID use a drill bit to get a piece of metal out of my eye that I tried to ignore for a few days. I got a good look at it and it looked to be about a 1/8" steel bit. I try to avoid that now.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer: 172
The shavings can get in your hair and fall into ...

06 FJR1300 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start Project 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights - 2013 BMW F800GT 03 GasGas 280 Pro
mikeysduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 289
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
..........the doc told me to get into an ophthalmologist first thing tomorrow morning, and if I can't get an appointment, to get to the ER............
Any update?
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #20
hadfield4wd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Yep I wear glasses and a shirk while doing any kind of grinding or metal cutting. I've had to have the rust rings riled from my eye. I was wearing safety glasses as we'll. that's when I started wearing the shield in conjunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hadfield4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #21
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,736
Quote:
Yup. I ALWAYS wear my safety glasses, I've got about 10 pairs hiding around the garage, so they're always at hand. However, sometimes shit has a way of getting around. I'm the same way about gloves. If for no reason other than to keep clean.... got about 10 different pairs of them too, all for different tasks.

I've never had flash burn, but just bought my first TIG and don't know that my Forney is going to cut it... it'll miss the arc and flash at me sometimes. I probably won't get flash burn, but if nothing else it really impedes your ability to weld!

I think I already posted my hand injury here at one time... cut 4 tendons (in half), 2 ligaments, and 2 joint capsules. My hand was TRASHED, and will never be quite the same again. I'd post the picture again, but not everyone likes gore

were you grinding something at the time you got something in your eye? That shit is the worst.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnewqban View Post
Any update?
Went in to the ophthalmologist yesterday, and he did just as others had said... numbed my eyeball, and popped the rusty metal out with a scalpel. He said if they're deep, they will sometimes drill, but didn't need to in this case. Then he busted out what he called a "tiny battery powered dremel" and polished the surface of my eyeball where he had been digging. Nifty eh? No eye patch even, I got to ride home.

I got some antibiotic cream (about the consistency of Neosporin, a bit uncomfortable to apply) to put in my eye 3 times a day, and have a follow-up appointment next Tuesday to make sure it's not infected.

What really blew my mind, is that last night I got a call from an unknown number... it was the female doctor who saw me at the walk in clinic on Sunday. She called from home just to check up and make sure all was well and it was taken care of. When was the last time a doctor (not *your* doctor mind you) called after hours just to see how you were doing?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #23
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
What really blew my mind, is that last night I got a call from an unknown number... it was the female doctor who saw me at the walk in clinic on Sunday. She called from home just to check up and make sure all was well and it was taken care of. When was the last time a doctor (not *your* doctor mind you) called after hours just to see how you were doing?
I'm glad your eye is A1!

My wife got a couple of calls from the docs that treated her after an unplanned gravity event last year . . . . 300 miles from home.

She says that the next time she biffes it, she'll do it closer to their hospital ;-}

The are caring folks in healthcare.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #24
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 289
Cool2

Quote:
Went in to the ophthalmologist yesterday, and he did just as others had said... .......When was the last time a doctor (not *your* doctor mind you) called after hours just to see how you were doing?
Great news !!!

What a relief, isn't it?

Stay on the antibiotic as prescribed, even after you feel much better.

Actually, a female doctor did that for my sick son last year, ...... some people are just amazing
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,736
Glad you got it popped out uneventfully. I run a machine shop, so I'm constantly behind a pair of safety glasses...this kind of thing is on my mind occasionally.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #26
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,980
I had a small piece in my eye for a few days (body grinder), started to rust. They can see the spot when I go in for an eye exam. Other than that I have no aftereffects. Glad you're OK.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #27
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
Here's a trick that will some times keep you from going to the doc. Get a big ass sub woofer that is dead. Bust the magnet off it and stick it to the side of your tool box. Its good for magnitising screwdrivers and pulling mettle from your eye. These things are strong and if you get it close to the mettle splinter it will pull it out.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #28
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
Here's a trick that will some times keep you from going to the doc. Get a big ass sub woofer that is dead. Bust the magnet off it and stick it to the side of your tool box. Its good for magnitising screwdrivers and pulling mettle from your eye. These things are strong and if you get it close to the mettle splinter it will pull it out.
I tried a small neodymium (uber strong) magnet I had in the garage from a past project. I put it in a sandwich bag (clean and smooth) and actually rubbed it across my eye a few times, to no avail. It's definitely going into my bag of tricks should this ever happen again though!

Thanks for all the well wishes fellas. My eye's hardly red anymore, and the pain is almost completely gone. Hooray!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
Patriot4570
Trail Blaster

Oddometer: 2,687
I was helping a friend of mine one day we were on the roof of a 5 story condo by the beach .We were patching some stucco, and I was grinding away with a side grinder. A piece of the wire wheel went in my eye .I was wearing safety glasses but not goggles ,it hurt like hell had to go to the doc and he removed the wire .Note to self wear goggles next time.

Douglas Mac Arthur
Patriot4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #30
lynch180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
I needed to get an MRI awhile back and they asked if I had done any grinding or welding and I have done both....had to get my eyeballs Xray'd before they would do the MRI (fortunately no metal was detected, especially steel)....evidently the magnetic field is strong enough that steel fragments in your eyeballs would move towards the electromagnets during the MRI
I had an MRI also and was asked the same questions, did not think that it would make a difference that I had fabricating shit in my shed from an early age..............Nearly had my eyes pulled out off my head, it was like someone put a hover on my eye balls

So the MRI confirmed that I have a bad back and rusty eyes
KTM 250 EXC
Honda XR 50
lynch180 is offline   Reply With Quote