User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #38881
cby7715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Moving the Gauges

Got a 2012 WR250R earlier this year. I added a KTM 690 windscreen and was thinking of moving the speedometer/dashboard up a little higher. Is that possible? Is there enough slack in the wires to move it up 6 inches or so?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #38882
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cby7715 View Post
Got a 2012 WR250R earlier this year. I added a KTM 690 windscreen and was thinking of moving the speedometer/dashboard up a little higher. Is that possible? Is there enough slack in the wires to move it up 6 inches or so?

Ah,,yep.

Welcome to ADVrider.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #38883
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post

Come'n Doug,,,ill stop by and grab ya Friday night.Ill explain it all to the wife."The Hammer"?"No,no,no,its a new Father prep class,,,ill have him back some time Sunday,,,maybe.".
I wish...too many things already going on this weekend.

But here are some vids to show you what not to do( on the WRR) at the Hammer.

http://youtu.be/ZXmZiAJ1zho

And the big crash...that ended my day for the Hammer. I was sure I had broken ribs, but the Astars suit did its job, and I walked/limped away. LOL

http://youtu.be/tFCf4Y957Yw
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #38884
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 384
OK for those in the know.... CO programing....Good? Bad? or BS?

I've read a number of posts here and elsewhere on the web...I have yet to find data other than someone's BUTT-dyno...

Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #38885
Dirt Rider
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I did two bikes for friends. It maybe made a little difference to how it ran down low. Doing the throttle position sensor adjustment made a much larger change, especially in getting rid of the jerky throttle in first gear. I also tried then adding a Throttle Tamer. This slowed down the bottom end way too much and made it take too long to rev. No hit so to speak. I changed the cam on the Tamer to half the recommended profile and that was a good compromise between smooth bottom running and low end rev/response. I then geared down the bikes a little lower so first gear would not be needed as much. Worked out great. 13/49.
Dirt Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #38886
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Rider View Post
I did two bikes for friends. It maybe made a little difference to how it ran down low. Doing the throttle position sensor adjustment made a much larger change, especially in getting rid of the jerky throttle in first gear. I also tried then adding a Throttle Tamer. This slowed down the bottom end way too much and made it take too long to rev. No hit so to speak. I changed the cam on the Tamer to half the recommended profile and that was a good compromise between smooth bottom running and low end rev/response. I then geared down the bikes a little lower so first gear would not be needed as much. Worked out great. 13/49.
Tps adjustment? Interested in more info.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #38887
Dirt Rider
Old Adventurer

The TPS adjustment I believe had a separate thread that I found. Not sure it was on the Mega thread. It is a little difficult to do as the screws that hold the TPS are hard to get to, very close and behind the frame on the right side. I made a special tool per someone else's input. I will see if I can find the thread again. Try a search yourself also. You might find it before me. After I did the first bike, the second one only took about an hour.

Here's info from the WR250 site. http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...on-off-at-idle

Dirt Rider screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 05:03 PM
Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #38888
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
Anyone using a Xena XX-14 or XX-15 disc lock? They are different sizes and I'm not sure which would fit.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:51 AM   #38889
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
I got a wr250r recently and have been enjoying the bike but the FI has me a little uneasy. I don't want it to fail far from home (who does?) and I am thinking about picking up a spare fuel pump from Ca Cycleworks to carry with me. Does anyone else do this? The repair seems like it would be pretty straightforward with the hardest part being not dumping all the gas when changing out the pump. And yes, I'm aware that internet paranoia has gotten the best of me
My girlfriend and I have a pair of ADV modified WR250Xs that we keep and ride out of Las Vegas for West Coast rides. We carry a spare fuel pump between us on extended rides. Hers is a 2008 with a little over 10k miles. Our extended rides range from 1500 to 4000 miles and we often ride in pretty remote places. If hers was not a 2008, I'm not sure we would carry a spare fuel pump. Since fuel pumps are really the only "common" failure points on these bikes, I look at it as a safety blanket when we're riding out in the middle of nowhere. Given all of the crap we carry with us on these rides, it really doesn't take up that much space.

mtntrails screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 03:03 AM
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #38890
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
More gearing and light clutch options

Ok, so I went on the Bucky 5 DS ride. I made the improper calculation of sticking with my usually 14/49 instead of using the 13t. Big mistake when you weigh 230 lbs. Not to mention I have always switched to the 13 for trail rides in the past.
1st was running a bit high in the rpm range and very jerky on/off throttle, but second had to much of a power drop off on the hilly ride with my weight. That brought on the 2nd problem, by the half way point my left arm and hand were suffering. The gearing problem forced me to use my clutch a lot more than normal. The clutch on my bike has narrow engagement and is quite heavy, by the end of the ride I had to use 3-4 fingers instead of 2 and I had no feel left for feathering etc. Just in or out.

Now I am looking at Righteous Stunt Levers as an option. Anyone have one on their WRr? Does it slightly increase the engagement range? I know it really reduces the pull effort.

Oh and the more you weigh the more critical gearing is on a 250.... yes I am stating the obvious. But how people report the performance of this bike in terms of gearing has varied widely and often times weight is left out of the description. It's kinda like seat height. People mention how tall they are instead of inseam. And it is inseam that matters not your overall height.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #38891
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
...But how people report the performance of this bike in terms of gearing has varied widely and often times weight is left out of the description...
Yes! And---rear tire diameter. The combination of front sprocket/rear sprocket/rear tire diameter is what determines the final drive ratio. You can't accurately compare sprocket sizes without including the tire diameter.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #38892
Bogus Jim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Now I am looking at Righteous Stunt Levers as an option. Anyone have one on their WRr? Does it slightly increase the engagement range? I know it really reduces the pull effort.
I have one, very happy with it. It's much easier to feather the clutch (larger engagement range as you said) and easier to pull. I have the "shorty" that fits two fingers.

Still not as good as the hydraulic clutch on the KTM's though.

Bogus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #38893
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
Provided you like the hydraulic clutch. Personally, that was one of the reasons I couldn't wait to sell my KTM. :)
Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #38894
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,812
My WRR has the easiest pull clutch of all the bikes I own. I guess it's all relative.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #38895
Dirt Rider
Old Adventurer

What DougZ73 said. Mine is very easy to pull also. Never use more than 2 fingers. Maybe a little cable adjustment and lube might help.