ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #62776
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
Stolen 05 640 Adventure

ohio plate
big and orange :)
from Asheville NC last week
FMF pipe
pumper carb
just fitted a new engine from a SXC in it.

Keep you eye out
thanks
Sorry to hear this.....Hell of a way to welcome our newest American.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #62777
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Mine is a 89, doesn't seem too lean. 68mph wide open in a full tuck, maybe with a tail wind. 50 is pretty nice, 55 OK but a little buzzy. Electric + kicker and drum brakes on both ends.
I need to throw a leaf peeper/gravel road ride together before winter. Thinking about Nov 9 right now. If anyone* wanted to borrow the TW for the ride they'd be welcome to.
*Well maybe not just anyone, but most anyone.
I'd love to get the ktm out on some gravel before the year is out, Count me in.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #62778
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
I need to throw a leaf peeper/gravel road ride together before winter. Thinking about Nov 9 right now. If anyone* wanted to borrow the TW for the ride they'd be welcome to.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #62779
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Mine is a 89, doesn't seem too lean. 68mph wide open in a full tuck, maybe with a tail wind. 50 is pretty nice, 55 OK but a little buzzy. Electric + kicker and drum brakes on both ends.
I'd like to make it. Need to see how work looks but I should be off most Sundays the rest of the year.

V strom good enough or should I bring the klx?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #62780
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,159
Quote:

That's gonna be a great quad trail in a few months
Old 10-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #62781
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
New orange toy

4 wheels instead of 2 and cutting into my riding time. I have spent the last 3 weekends playing with or working on this and not riding.

Made this.

and this

and this

New septic system in my front yard 4 weeks ago is what got the ball rolling on the tractor.

alansz400 screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 05:09 PM
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #62782
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I'd like to make it. Need to see how work looks but I should be off most Sundays the rest of the year.

V strom good enough or should I bring the klx?..
The 9th is a Saturday. I'll keep an eye on the weather, everything here is nice and dry and the creeks are low. If it stays that way I'll repeat some of the stuff we rode earlier in the year and add a creek crossing or two. Personally, I think a small bike fits a little better, I'd say a KLR650 would be fine. I would not want a VStrom on Irish Run or crossing the Little Muskingum, but I'm sure a good rider could handle it.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #62783
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob748 View Post
this it does
the good old days CCOR :)
You rode that bike like a superstar.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #62784
Screzzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
The 9th is a Saturday. I'll keep an eye on the weather, everything here is nice and dry and the creeks are low. If it stays that way I'll repeat some of the stuff we rode earlier in the year and add a creek crossing or two. Personally, I think a small bike fits a little better, I'd say a KLR650 would be fine. I would not want a VStrom on Irish Run or crossing the Little Muskingum, but I'm sure a good rider could handle it.
I don't know if I'm stupid or just naive. I consider myself only adequate as a rider, but whenever someone posts something like this I just want to jump on the SV and give it a shot. "Ride what you got", right? But then I think about how I might inconvenience people if I get stuck in mud, damage the bike, etc. The problem is probably that I have 3 bikes in the garage and none of them are dual-sports.
Screzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #62785
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screzzy View Post
I don't know if I'm stupid or just naive. I consider myself only adequate as a rider, but whenever someone posts something like this I just want to jump on the SV and give it a shot. "Ride what you got", right? But then I think about how I might inconvenience people if I get stuck in mud, damage the bike, etc. The problem is probably that I have 3 bikes in the garage and none of them are dual-sports.
Just do it. I'll get stuck and fall down with you. Knobbies? I don't need no stinking knobbies.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #62786
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, but its so hard to gauge how other people ride. I really don't even like to ride gravel on VStrom, so maybe I'm not a good judge. Mine does have street tires and I'm a crappy rider. I have a bike or two that I'm more comfortable with. Your SV would probably make it. Matt (mgbgt89) rode almost everything I'm considering on his motard. IIRC we gave him a push or two in the mud. I'd venture to say it wouldn't bother him much if he dropped it. So there's that as well.
I've rode the rougher sections with a guy on a 990 that had no issues and I've had to help wrestle a 1200GSA up the same stuff (boy that's exhausting). I personally would rather not drop a fairinged (is that a word?, maybe it would be faired? maybe I have ADD?) bike and bust up the plastic if I had other options. If Gorman asked I'd tell him the 950 would be fine, but he can likely out ride me on my 450EXC with that bike.
In short, you're welcome to show up on the SV and I'll even help you wrestle it around if it happens to get stuck or dropped.
I'm really more concerned that no one gets over their head and gets hurts, that just sucks for everyone involved, not to mention makes me feel bad. If you don't like how something looks, I probably know a road around & we'll wait the extra 10 or 15 minutes for someone to go around the long way.

ruppster screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 08:19 AM
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #62787
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,304
Quote:
This is an interesting point.

One the one hand, it's awesome to see guys show up to rides on oddly inappropriate bikes, and ride crazy stuff. It's a great learning experience and a good way to see what you and your bike are capable of.

On the other, it can be aggravating when everyone else shows up on a true dual sport ready to tackle mud and rocks and what not; and then there is one guy that either doesn't have the skill set or the equipment to do the same. Slows everyone down and reduces everybody's fun factor. The more hardcore guys are annoyed by going slower than they want and not riding everything they want to; and the slower guys are annoyed by feeling rushed and thrust into situations that are over their heads. I've been on both sides of this.

Me personally, I always think it's acceptable to show up on anything if you are friends with the other guys on the ride - friendship allows for a lot of tolerance and in those circumstances it's more about the quality time with buddies than the ride. If you are a lurker or don't personally know the other guys coming, you're better off to ride what they are riding and make sure your skill set is comparable to theirs, since in those instances it's about the ride and the development of relationships is secondary to that. Just keeps everyone happier.

Note that I am absolutely not speaking for Nathan or his Nov 9 ride, just offering my input in general.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #62788
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

An SV would be an interesting challenge on Irish run. Having a foot of suspension travel gives my bike a little bit of an advantage. Big rocks and step-ups don't kill my momentum. Not impossible, but if you're afraid to drop it then i wouldn't try it. My motard isn't perfect anymore, I don't mind dropping it in some mud from time to time.

When I rode imogene with EJV i felt bad since i was obviously holding him up. I concider myself to be a mid level skill rider, and he blew me away on the S10. He was cool about it, and helped me push a few times when i needed it.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #62789
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Note that I am absolutely not speaking for Nathan or his Nov 9 ride, just offering my input in general.
I think anyone that knows me knows I don't get upset about too much. I really don't care what you ride, just getting together, laughing at each other & having a good time is what it's mostly about.
Don't ride something you can't laugh about if you drop it. I think that may be why I haven't 100% bonded with my VStrom.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #62790
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Maybe we need to have a 4 stroke 200cc max ride, better yet 15HP or less. Bring that Grom down, I'll get the TW out, surely someone here has a CT90 or maybe a 125TTR with tags. We'll cruise around at 35-40mph on gravel roads all day getting 80mpg.