Old 03-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #211
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post

Have you used/tried these?

George

Yes, they're great for storing spare motorcycle engines on (even behemoths like a GS850 engine). You can move the engine around easily without hurting your back or the engine.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #212
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post
Just got them to move snowmobiles around.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #213
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,963
Security camera

http://www.harborfreight.com/weather...ion-47546.html

Did you try this camera?

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21131.jpg"

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 06:10 PM
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #214
Johnny4x4
Hope 2 B Cool Sumday

Oddometer: 53
I bought one of the small griders there a few years ago- works good for as many times as i have used it.

recieved as a gift a digital mutimeter- works as many times as i have used it.

bought a large pipe wrench and the handle broke on it, and a few cheap gadgets that dont last much after the first use

so good and bad for me.
Johnny4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #215
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,112
I thought this was the thread about crap...

I had to use a HF metric tap & die set at a friend's house once and it was verrrrrrry iffy. The taps I used were clearly junk. That said, I used a ton of lube and very little force and got through the job without breaking any. Never again.

I've also not had any luck with their air fittings (specifically the female couplers) or their tire chucks -- they all leak. I've managed to find decent Milton stuff at farm stores.

And I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the drill bits are beyond awful.

I've got lots of good HF stuff (see the other thread), but it's still a very mixed bag.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #216
stainlesscycle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
I've also not had any luck with their air fittings (specifically the female couplers) or their tire chucks -- they all leak. I've managed to find decent Milton stuff at farm stores.

both types of their air fittings are junk - they have 'automotive' and 'industrial' each has a different profile, and they both suck.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #217
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,015
Good, bad and ugly

Good: their ~$55 set of twist drills. They are the best set of drills I've ever used. When a machinist bud recommended them I thought he was joking. I bought a set about five years ago, was amazed, and busted out and bought two more sets. I've yet to open either of the second two, as the first is still truckin'.

Bad: Their close quarter 1/4 drill. POS. First one I had crapped out (presumably beveled gears stripped) while drilling an aluminum plate. Took it back sans service contract and bitch so much they gave me a new one. It did the same thing drilling fiberglass! They apparently don't have 'em any more, or maybe mines actually a 3/8ths. I'm too lazy to go look.

Ugly: their "rope" Used to paying my ass off for New England Ropes double braid line, I spring for ten bucks worth (about fifty feet) at HF. What utter crap! I think it's made of the same shit that they make the cellophane cover for kids Easter Baskets. This shit is 3/8" line and you can break it by hand!

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #218
LBourque
G/S nut

Oddometer: 225
weld your own stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
LOL, something about having a 3000$ welder tells me you probably shouldn't buy a stand? Or at the very least you should buy the factory sold matched stand to that welder.

HF stand is deserving of an HF welder on it.

Personally my welding "stand" is one of those chrome wire rack carts sold by sams club, Future plans are to get another one and put a steel top between the two for a rolling welding table.
If you have a $3000 welder,weld your own stand.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #219
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
These. Grommet punch + pag grommets.
Total junk, not worth a dollar.

The the punch handles buckeled and bent before the groomet would expand to its final intended shape. The kit went straight to trash bin.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #220
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
I had to use a HF metric tap & die set at a friend's house once and it was verrrrrrry iffy. The taps I used were clearly junk. That said, I used a ton of lube and very little force and got through the job without breaking any. Never again.

And I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the drill bits are beyond awful.

I've got lots of good HF stuff (see the other thread), but it's still a very mixed bag.
I've had very good luck with their air fittings, as well as their smallest pancake air compressor.

I agree about the tap/die set though. I bought one in a pinch a year or so ago, and they're trash. I bought the cheaper of the sets, maybe the more expensive one is better.

If you're needing to tap something, chances are, it's important enough to buy a good one.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #221
phillyrube
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green427 View Post

I've had good luck with their pneumatic nailers, air compressors, power saws, drills, and generators.
Don't know about their generators. We have (had) 2 small generators on a rescue mass casualty truck. They don't get used regularly, but we put a small amount of Stabil/gas in them once a month, run them till it they stop, then put them up. Lasted a year, now they won't start at all. Another truck across the city has Honda generators, same maintenance, and no issues, they start first pull. Don't think I would buy a Harbor Freight generator for emergency use only.

As far as tools, I routinely tear up their star and hex bits working on the 'motor, but they get replaced free, so no issues for me.
phillyrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #222
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyrube View Post
Don't know about their generators. We have (had) 2 small generators on a rescue mass casualty truck. They don't get used regularly, but we put a small amount of Stabil/gas in them once a month, run them till it they stop, then put them up. Lasted a year, now they won't start at all. Another truck across the city has Honda generators, same maintenance, and no issues, they start first pull. Don't think I would buy a Harbor Freight generator for emergency use only.

As far as tools, I routinely tear up their star and hex bits working on the 'motor, but they get replaced free, so no issues for me.
When I was crewing for a hydroplane team, a lot of the (lower budget) guys were running their 2 stroke generators for battery chargers. They all said they were about 50/50. Either you got one and it worked perfectly, or you got one and the pull start broke almost immediately. If you got one of the latter, you'd exchange it until you got one that worked, and eventually, you'd end up with a good $100 generator
Old 10-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #223
FlyFishJeff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead View Post
I have the HF safety wire plies and used them to wire the grips on my three bikes. The pliers worked OK but the wire itself is absolute shyte.

My worse HF buy - the welder stand. There's nothing good about a $3000 welding setup on a $40 stand held together with bolts made of recycled tin foil.
I think all HF hardware (nuts, bolts, screws) must be made of tinfoil. I bought a variety pack and tossed the whole box in the trash after stripping the first three screws I tried.
FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #224
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishJeff View Post
I think all HF hardware (nuts, bolts, screws) must be made of tinfoil. I bought a variety pack and tossed the whole box in the trash after stripping the first three screws I tried.
I bought two of them packs in Metric, one is even SS....sure looks junky. That's a "just in case" I need something I may not have here, long way from a store. And not for use on bikes...... If pressed maybe but make mental note to replace asap with a quality fastener.

Only used one fastener so far, on the Weedeater.

I should buy some of their 1/4" bolts....are they cheesy enough to use as shear off bolts on the snowblower????
Old 10-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #225
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishJeff View Post
I've used HF bolts for years on non-structural stuff like holding plastic pieces together. They rust fast, even the painted and galvanized ones, but work Ok for lite work.

I haven't tried the SS fasteners, but when I need SS I always get the good stuff because I only use SS on important things exposed to the elements.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote