User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
Boatman OP
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,047
Scrapping motorcycle catalytic converters

Anyone ever done this? What did you get for them?

I have 8 cans off various KTM 950's and instead of throwing them out thought they may be worth something in scrap. I've cut a couple apart and the actual cat is about 5" long and 4" diameter.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,785
Well,some states at some point may come looking for those cats.
If a bike was so equipped it may come to pass you gotta have one.

Would be worth way more then scrap at that point. Even stock mufflers may be worth something with the noise tickets some towns/counties are giving out.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,038
I sold a couple of auto cats to these guys SellYourCatsDirect.com

It was pretty easy and they pay the shipping.

I was also scrapping some aluminum last week at the local place and they had a pile of them as well. I didn't check on pricing or anything, but they had containers full, I assume from the local car scrap yards. The cats & wheels are always gone from the local pick & pull.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Probably not enough to fool with.The ones I have looked at are metal spiral wraps and are considered a very low grade converter.

They may be worth a few bucks,but for me they are not worth the recovery effort
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,262
Be prepared to have VIN, vehicle disposition info available, then there's the EPA altering emissions equipment thing. The man is trying to counter the EPIDEMIC level cat theft trend.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
I was also scrapping some aluminum last week at the local place and they had a pile of them as well. I didn't check on pricing or anything, but they had containers full, I assume from the local car scrap yards....
Or from thieves driving around with saws or pipe cutters.

It's a major problem in some areas. Sometimes car lots get hit for dozens at a time.

Just a quick internet search:

http://www.wwmt.com/news/features/fe...ids-3276.shtml

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-insuranc...ter-theft.html
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
I didn't check on pricing or anything, but they had containers full, I assume from the local car scrap yards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Be prepared to have VIN, vehicle disposition info available, then there's the EPA altering emissions equipment thing. The man is trying to counter the EPIDEMIC level cat theft trend.
Concours has it right. The piles of cats at your local scrap metal dealer likely came from shopping malls and fleet lots.

Dangit. 205'd by Vince.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Or from thieves driving around with saws or pipe cutters.

It's a major problem in some areas. Sometimes car lots get hit for dozens at a time.

Just a quick internet search:

http://www.wwmt.com/news/features/fe...ids-3276.shtml

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-insuranc...ter-theft.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Concours has it right. The piles of cats at your local scrap metal dealer likely came from shopping malls and fleet lots.

Dangit. 205'd by Vince.
Quote:
I know about the cat thefts, but I also know that they cut them off at the scrap yard. It's one of the easy money things for them. I would guess there may have been close to a semi load of them, and there have been no local reports of a bunch missing from car lots or shopping malls. They also had literally a mountain of aluminum wheels. The local pick and pull removes all of those that it can, I think they get around $0.40 per pound. I scrapped a bent wheel with my 56lbs, I walked out a rich man with my check for $22.40.

This is the opening paragraph of the Edmunds article, which I find hilarious:

Quote:
You walk out to your car and it's gone. Not your car itself, the navigation system or even your cell phone. The "it" is your catalytic converter. If you don't happen to notice it right away, the moment you start your car, you will. The sound has been described as "a deep loud noise," "an unmistakable roar," and even like "a Harley Davidson."

And just for the record I had removed the 2 cats I had from my own vehicles. Some will be surprised, but I even replaced them. The company I posted doesn't give as much for the replacements as they do the OEMs.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,433
In Atlanta they steal air conditioners, catalytic converters, copper from cell towers, and drain grates off the freeway to sell as scrap.

I have a cat from my 03 Bmw GSA. I am considering selling it as scrap.

My dad had aluminum from A arms off his car. He wanted to sell it instead of putting it in the trash. I took them to a scrap yard, 16 pounds of "dirty aluminum". Dirty because it had rubber grommets in the A arms. The guy walks me to his office calculates for 5 minutes then gives me 85 cents. I should have picked up the A arms and walked away but I didn't.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,785
Mixed scrap. I end up with piles of unsellable junk from taking bikes apart,the junkyard gives me 0 as it is mixed plastic/alu/steel. A guy comes by and gets it out of my yard from time to time,he must take it all apart to get anything out of it. Too much time involved for very little money.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Yeah, with the aluminum you have to clean everything else out.

I spend about 2 seconds on it and if it ain't easy, the 16lb maul comes out. Most cast shit succumbs to the first blow. It cathartic.

My load was about 3 small engines, one TS125 case, and a bunch of pieces of smashed shit... All loaded in the broken wheel.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Boatman OP
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post
Probably not enough to fool with.The ones I have looked at are metal spiral wraps and are considered a very low grade converter.

They may be worth a few bucks,but for me they are not worth the recovery effort

Thanks,,,, that is really what I was after. Worth the trouble or not.

Quote:

I have three of the bikes these came from and the other set came from a friend that would probably have no issue giving his VIN on his totaled bike if it came down to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Mixed scrap. I end up with piles of unsellable junk from taking bikes apart,the junkyard gives me 0 as it is mixed plastic/alu/steel. A guy comes by and gets it out of my yard from time to time,he must take it all apart to get anything out of it. Too much time involved for very little money.

Mixed scrap was my initial thought also. Next time I go to the scrap yard I'll take one of the cut open cans with me and see what they say.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,586
I took a running T-15 Jimmy to scrap and got $60 for it. 72 pounds of suspension parts (assembled struts, control arms, tie rods, wheel bearings) netted about $5. I suppose if I had disassembled the struts and popped the bushings out of the control arms I might have gotten a bit more.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,433
My buddy took an old Honda 4 cylinder engine to the scrap yard. He got $20 and ran over something, got a flat and spent $50 to get a new prorated tire plus the $3.50/ gallon gas spent driving to the yard.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
My buddy took an old Honda 4 cylinder engine to the scrap yard. He got $20 and ran over something, got a flat and spent $50 to get a new prorated tire plus the $3.50/ gallon gas spent driving to the yard.
That sounds about par for the course for me.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote