ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
New Trip Planning Aid - Travel Management Maps

I have recently started using Travel Management Maps for trip planning. These have started becoming available over the past year or so.

At first the idea of using these was repugnant to me on the general principle of being strongly opposed to land closures.

But I broke down and started checking them to see if the roads I wanted to ride were actually open. I found these maps often show roads that don't appear on any other digital or paper map I have.

You have to search online for the particular forest or BLM district you are interested in.

In a few cases I have done a screen capture of a map and then imported it into Google Earth and georeferenced it to create a kmz file. I then load the kmz file into Basecamp and manually draw tracks in areas where my other maps don't show roads.

I understand that all of the Colorado National Forest MVUM maps are available as kmz files.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,250
Link?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Link?
Dah, USFS & BLM .gov
Old 08-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I have recently started using Travel Management Maps for trip planning. These have started becoming available over the past year or so.

At first the idea of using these was repugnant to me on the general principle of being strongly opposed to land closures..
How about demanding that Garmin sell maps that clearly show legal motorized routeable routes?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
How about demanding that Garmin sell maps that clearly show legal motorized routeable routes?
Really? Demanding a private company take US Forest Service data (your/my tax dollars created) and sell us maps? How about just having the FS use the data that THEY are creating with our money and provide us with free Garmin compatible MVU maps. Currently, each Forest Management team use whatever facility they want to to provide the "required" MVUM's.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Really? Demanding a private company take US Forest Service data (your/my tax dollars created) and sell us maps? How about just having the FS use the data that THEY are creating with our money and provide us with free Garmin compatible MVU maps.
When I buy a map from Garmin (or any map publisher, & understand Garmin is only reselling data) I expect that all city streets, county roads, state highways, and federal highways to be correct and current. When a speed limit shows on screen, I expect it to be correct. When a road shows within a Forest (and it is "Routeable"), I expect it to be legally open.

Yes for off road OHVers (non-street legal) who just go play for a day in some forest or BLM area a downloadable government map would be nice. They don't need City Nav.

Adv and Dual Sport riders who leave a motel in town, ride a bunch of dirt county roads and then ride some single track in a forest, should be able to do it with one Garmin map. If Garmin doesn't want to show legal roads, they should leave each forest blank and say refer to government maps.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
When I buy a map from Garmin (or any map publisher, & understand Garmin is only reselling data) I expect that all city streets, county roads, state highways, and federal highways to be correct and current. When a speed limit shows on screen, I expect it to be correct. When a road shows within a Forest (and it is "Routeable"), I expect it to be legally open.

Yes for off road OHVers (non-street legal) who just go play for a day in some forest or BLM area a downloadable government map would be nice. They don't need City Nav.

Adv and Dual Sport riders who leave a motel in town, ride a bunch of dirt county roads and then ride some single track in a forest, should be able to do it with one Garmin map. If Garmin doesn't want to show legal roads, they should leave each forest blank and say refer to government maps.
That is an admirable expectation that I believe all of us travelers can appreciate - but it's completely unrealistic.

Or, how about you, and the rest of us, provide our knowledge and data about roads to the Open Street Map Foundation where WE can make changes to maps based upon where we travel, what we see and the GPS data we collect. And even better the data is free to anyone who wants it.

I've put my money on OSM providing me accurate maps over the long haul.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I have recently started using Travel Management Maps for trip planning.
Link?
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

The master links are pretty much what Countdown said.

I usually search for a specific forest or BLM district.

Here are links to a few that I have used lately.

First is BLM Monticello District. These are really nice maps IMHO.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/monticello.html

It looks like you can backtrack that and get to any state.

Here is where you can get the Santa Fe National forest maps:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/santafe/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5411664

Again looks like you could use that base address to get to other national forests.

It seems not all BLM districts are finished. I tried to find the maps for the Ritchfield UT BLM distract and it looked like they haven't published them yet.

But again I was really surprised at how useful the maps are.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am still finding Travel Management maps useful for trip planning

I just downloaded the MVUM for the Kaibob NF north of the Grand Canyon from here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/kaibab/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5392529

This site also had links to a program that would load the MVUM directly to a Garmin GPS unit.

So I decided to try it with my Montana. First off my virus checking software was not pleased with this executable. I had to tell it a couple of times that I really wanted to run this.

What the program did was to load a gmapsupp.img file to the SDC card. I got control back of the Montana and scrolled over to this area and Enabled the new map. The MVUM was there.

The program that did this had an option to add this file to maps that were already there. When I selected this it gave me a warning about making sure I could recover. So I deselected the option.

I suspect that if you didn't use this option with something like a 60, it could wipe out all your other maps. It would be interesting to see if it does know how to add the new map to what is already there.

All the other maps I had on the Montana seemed to be unaffected.

I don't know if this direct download feature is commonly available for other forest districts. I know the Colorado MVUMs are available as digital maps, but I was under the impression that they were kmz files. Could easily be wrong.

I recently upgraded my firmware. I was surprised to see that all the mapsets were Enabled, whereas before I only Enabled them one at a time as I desired. So I set them back to all Disabled except one.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just discovered this web site which lots of travel management maps for forests in New Mexico and Arizona.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/gis/USFS_Southwestern_Region_MVUM_Repository.html
Old 12-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Thanks for pointing these out, I have been saving the links as they are posted.
I do a lot of work related to access on public lands and have worked with .gov internal map data for some time, really good to see this become a more serious effort. It is my understanding that it is a relatively simple export from the GIS files the .gov uses to a .kml/.kmz Google Earth file which can then be exported as a .gpx format most GPS units and software can use.

There is also an effort by the agencies to produce better quality hard copy MVU maps then the lousy newsprint versions which contain dang few reference points for orientation.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
wbbnm OP
Beastly Adventurer

I believe the Colorado maps are already available somewhere as kmz files. I neglected to save the link in a place I can find it though.

When necessary I go thru the tedious process of doing a screen-grab of a map section and then geo-referencing it into a kmz file in Google Earth.

I generally only do this when the MVUM has a road or trail that does not show up on any digital map I have. I load it into Basecamp to draw tracks on the road I want.

A guy I ride with a lot has done this with nearly all the maps in places we ride and the travel management maps are the primary display on his Montana.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
garmin is a joke
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
I believe the Colorado maps are already available somewhere as kmz files. I neglected to save the link in a place I can find it though.
Perhaps you saw my post:
http://staythetrail.org/mvum/

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote