User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #16
out rider
Nearing the end

Oddometer: 595
"checking the torque on the head bolts"

Don't fix it till it's broke I was told by long time Ural owners. Remember, the engine is aluminum. Things strip easy, I know.

You will only regret owning a Ural when you don't have one.
out rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #17
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
It's all about the GRIN.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Im on the fence. YOU are NOT Helping.
Just keep reading here and on SS. You will get one.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,071
It's only a matter of time. My four year old sat in one at TriQuest and has been begging ever since.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #20
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Just do it

I just bought a 2007 GU that was as mint as I could ask for. Never had it been off road or seen rain (until I towed it home in a downpour). The grin factor is off the scale. The UDF factor is off the scale and real. You would have less rock star status driving a Lamborghini. The bike is oh-so Russian. As I tell people, its so flawed its adorable. Driving it properly and safely requires more mental capacity that the time I rode Kurtis Robert's back up Erion Racing superbike (buts that's another story in its own right). A Ural is so many things: Vintage while being modern, functional (you can haul all sorts of crap), family and friend oriented (no one says no to a side car, not even my in-laws), cool with out being pretentious and a perfect rig for those who love to mechanically fiddle.
Approach the bike with an understanding of what it is, and what it isn't and you won't ever look back.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:01 AM   #21
trebornoops OP
Jus'a Squirrel

Oddometer: 8
Still liking it...

I took the family dog out for his first trip, for at least 5 minutes he only wanted out!

I think after he realized, Its supposed to make those noises, he was fine.

As of right now I do not see the Ural leaving my possession any time soon. Too much fun, I like UDF.

Getting close to planning a trip, just building trust at the moment.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
The best way to introduce a dog to a hack is to turn getting in and out of the sidecar into a fun game.
Start with placing a blankie and a toy in the hack while rig is parked, engine off. Call the dog to jump in and promptly reward him/her with a treat as soon as he/she assumes the correct sitting position for riding.
Repeat a few times until the dog is on autopilot with entry/exit procedure.
Then, with dog comfortably settled in the hack, fire up the rig while keeping it stationary. Stand next to hack and pet/talk soothingly to the dog as rig idles. Let it idle for a minute then switch it off and reward the dog if he/she did not panic.
Repeat a few times and, once satisfied that the dog responds positively to engine noise, slowly circle around, climb on and "pretend to drive..." while talking /praising the dog for sitting pretty. Reward the dog with a treat from the motorcycle.
Once, you are happy with these results, you can ease it (clunk it) into gear and slowly circle the block at low speeds.
A harness secured to the hack via a short lead (short enough that the dog cannot jump out, but long enough so that the dog may lie down inside the hack) is good insurance towards an accident...
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Congrats! It's a beauty

I've got 20,000+ k on mine now and yah, the grins just don't stop.

If you haven't yet, you might want to get David Hough's book on how to ride a sidecar (whitehorse press I think). Has some good techniques for right handers and some cautions on situations I hadn't really thought through (like off camber rights).

My son accuses me of liking the wrenching part as much as the riding. It is therapeutic.
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
Rolan
Plains Rider

Oddometer: 5
Congrats on your new ride.

I bought my Gear Up new back in 2007, its one of the very few things I have bought in my life time that I have no regrets about. I did about a year or research before I bought it. I looked at all kinds of on/off road bikes, the Ural was the only one that could haul all my metal detecting gear and get to the places I wanted to go. I rode it to town today just to go pay bills and pick up a few things. Such mundane tasks are a lot of fun on the Ural, it makes everyone I see smile.

If you are undecided about getting one consider what your going to use it for most. Compare all the other options that suit the job, and choose wisely.
Rolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #25
daydream
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Don't get wrapped up in torque settings on a Ural. You will wind up regretting it. The lawn mower you traded probably has more technology than the Ural. It is one of those kind of bikes that if you go screwing around trying to make it perfect you will wind up fixing it until it is broken. If the headbolts haven't caused any leaks in 7 years then leave them alone, they like it just fine where they are. It is not a BMW. Having watched videos of them being manufactured I took special notice that no one had a torque wrench in their hand. I did notice a hammer or two though. (Most of us Uralistas say, "if you can't fix it with a hammer, it's probably an electrical problem.".

Just enjoy and don't push the speed. Much over 58 mph it doesn't not like it and will get even.

Tom
daydream is offline   Reply With Quote