ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #136
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I just made a route from a track and chopped it down to 3500 points.

It is now winging its way across the intertubes to you.
On importing the 3500 point route, it said that it could not import the route. When I cut it down to 2500 points, importing broke it up into 10 different trips.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #137
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
On importing the 3500 point route, it said that it could not import the route. When I cut it down to 2500 points, importing broke it up into 10 different trips.
Interesting. If I use Garmin's terminology, they seem to now be differentiating between a "route" and a "trip". Is that your perception, too? Is there some kind of way to link various routes into a single trip, or some such?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #138
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Another thing I found out today, the Tracker function only exists in the Android version of Garmin Smartphone Link, not in the ios version. To bad its a great function.
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #139
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Software update:

Close Window
BMW Motorrad Navigator V

(68.00 MB)

Change History

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.50:

• Enhanced transferring of tracks between the device and BaseCamp. The active track log is now written to a separate file titled CurrentTrackLog.gpx.
  • Fixed issue that could prevent the map from panning or following the vehicle position.
  • Fixed issues that could cause large portions of the map to be blank or prevent the route line from appearing.
  • Improved vehicle icon position in North Up view.
  • Fixed issues that could cause voice prompt to say incorrect street name or destination name.
  • Fixed issue preventing the unit from speaking when the user presses the speak button on the mount.
  • Fixed issue that caused locations sent over Smartphone Link to appear with an incorrect name in Trip Planner.
  • Fixed issue that could cause Roadside Assistance feature to display incorrect information.
  • Enhanced proximity alerts volume to match navigation volume.
  • Fixed issue that could cause media to play at a different volume when switching tracks.
  • Fixed issue causing media tracks to play in alphabetical order after rebooting the device when random mode is selected.
  • Fixed issue that allowed the device to handle phone calls without an available audio output.
  • Fixed issue that caused the microphone to be muted in a new call when it was muted at the end of the previous call.
  • Fixed issue that prevented the device from reconnecting to Smartphone Link on iPhone when the device was turned on.
  • Added an option to Trip Planner to delete multiple trips from a checklist.
  • Fixed issue that prevented third-party routes transferred to the device through BaseCamp from recalculating.
  • Improved fuel tracking when moving device between a LIN mount and a non-LIN mount.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Large Buttons keyboard to display letters in the incorrect case.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #140
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,353
That's great info Emoto, where did you hear about the update?

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #141
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
That's great info Emoto, where did you hear about the update?
Didn't you mention it on the other thread? If it wasn't you, I can't remember who it was.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #142
Meta-4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I completely lost control of my AmEx whilst pinking up the WCGS, and ended up with the Nav-V to fill the empty cradle from the GPS Prep-kit on the bike...

After putting some road miles on it, I really like the GPS unit for road use. Its clear, responsive and accurate. I certainly like the dashboards view that supplements the info/trip data from the bike's computer. So for road use, this thing seems like the bees-knees....

For Offroad use though - Im not so sure... so maybe someone already has worked this out... I've been using a cellphone and Backcountry Explorer to have FS/Topo Maps and loading GPS Tracks on for the BDR... and while that works, I'd rather be able to do the same with the Nav V... So: Does anyone know a good way to get Topo or maps with Forest Service roads loaded on a NAV V?

Additionally, I cant find the specifications for what capacity MicroSD Cards are supported... Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Meta-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #143
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta-4 View Post
I completely lost control of my AmEx whilst pinking up the WCGS, and ended up with the Nav-V to fill the empty cradle from the GPS Prep-kit on the bike...

After putting some road miles on it, I really like the GPS unit for road use. Its clear, responsive and accurate. I certainly like the dashboards view that supplements the info/trip data from the bike's computer. So for road use, this thing seems like the bees-knees....

For Offroad use though - Im not so sure... so maybe someone already has worked this out... I've been using a cellphone and Backcountry Explorer to have FS/Topo Maps and loading GPS Tracks on for the BDR... and while that works, I'd rather be able to do the same with the Nav V... So: Does anyone know a good way to get Topo or maps with Forest Service roads loaded on a NAV V?

Additionally, I cant find the specifications for what capacity MicroSD Cards are supported... Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Install your Topo/other maps into BaseCamp and then with your Nav-V connected to your computer use Garmin MapInstall to install the map to your device. I recommend installing to the micro-SD card and I believe that the Nav-V supports up to 32GB cards. Use a high quality card like SanDisk and you will have fewer issues over time.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #144
Meta-4
Adventurer

^^ Thank you, Much appreciated - Now I just have to figure out how to get the Accuterra maps I bought from my Android off, in a format that the Nav V can hopefully accept.

Just bought a 32GB class 10 Sandisk from Amazon.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #145
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
^^ Thank you, Much appreciated - Now I just have to figure out how to get the Accuterra maps I bought from my Android off, in a format that the Nav V can hopefully accept.

Just bought a 32GB class 10 Sandisk from Amazon.
Unless you get Accuterra to convert their maps to Garmin compatible format you're out of luck.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-30-2013 at 09:57 AM
Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #146
Meta-4
Adventurer

Ahh, So does garmin sell Topo Maps that are compatible with the Nav/Zumo devices? I dont mind paying for the ability... Im looking at their BirdsEye Topo Series but the Zumo/Nav ist listed as compatible - hence my confusion of how to load Forest Service/Topo Maps. Thanks for the help so far and any other advice you can give.

Edit: Reading the articles on your sig... It appears as though you are running the Birdseye maps (on what looks like to be a zumo or similar)... I'm busy reading your site in case my questions are answered there - Thanks in advance

Meta-4 screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 11:56 AM
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #147
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Ahh, So does garmin sell Topo Maps that are compatible with the Nav/Zumo devices? I dont mind paying for the ability... Im looking at their BirdsEye Topo Series but the Zumo/Nav ist listed as compatible - hence my confusion of how to load Forest Service/Topo Maps. Thanks for the help so far and any other advice you can give.

Edit: Reading the articles on your sig... It appears as though you are running the Birdseye maps (on what looks like to be a zumo or similar)... I'm busy reading your site in case my questions are answered there - Thanks in advance
You do not want the BirdsEye topo's. They are just images of topo maps. What you might want are either the 100K US Topo (not much road detail) or the 24K US Topo's (by region) that have reasonable road detail and are routable. It really depends on what you want the Topo maps for. The latest version's of City Navigator NT 2014.20 have more backcountry roads than most maps - just not so good for trails.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #148
Meta-4
Adventurer

Thanks - Thats super helpful. 24K regional is what I've been looking for but didnt know how to ask the right question. Thank you, for the help and patience.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #149
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Meta-4, are you finding that the forest service roads you seek are not in the CN version on your Nav V?

I am running Garmin regional topos on my Montana and although they are nice, they have not been updated in years.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #150
Emoto
Sure, why not?

So, I ran into limitation of the Nav V over the weekend. I spent a bunch of time creating a fairly complex one day Route to follow. Part of the route was created from a track where I had stumbled across roads that I wanted to take again sometime. The rest I added in BaseCamp with the insert tool (pencil icon) to make it into a loop.

Apparently, imported track points become Via Points when imported to to a route. It wouldn't matter except the Nav V has an arbitrary Via Point limit of 29! So, my route was split into three routes on the Nav V! How stupid is it to not even be able to have a route in one piece for a day's ride?

Even worse, when in BaseCamp and I look at the Route detail dialog and right-click a Via Point and select "do not alert - shaping point" the software doesn't really change it to a Shaping Point, so I still hit the 29 Via Point limit.

If anyone else finds this limitation silly or frustrating, I urge you to contact both Garmin and BMW about it. Garmin built the Nav V to BMW's specs, but I suspect they never thought about this item.