Right on.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #2462
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,124
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug View Post

I took it for a ride to Sarasota, as there was an old bike dealer there having an open house, and their special guest was Cookie Crum, and I wanted to meet her.

She started riding the Wall of Death on an Indian in 1949, at age 17.

Quite a feat for anyone, let along a pretty teenage girl 65 years ago.

here is some more info about her.

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/ind...en_of_the.html

When she heard I was on an Indian, she wanted to come see it, so I asked for a picture with her.

Terrific story, great personality.
Lady in White
Old 10-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #2463
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
no doubt!

I knew a guy in Bama, we didnt hang out much, but he was in the BMW club & was into bikes, so we often BS'd. I went to his funeral, and there was a pic of him during WW2 on a harley. turns out he was a dispatch rider. I would have loved to known more about that!
My dad was a dispatch rider during WW2 leading up to D-Day. Still have his leather pudding bowl helmet in a place of honor in my living room. And, yeah, there were some pretty good stories involving night runs during blackout on wet cobblestone streets, etc. His favorite was the time he low sided his 45 and it somehow managed to bounce up and into a pub. Of course it was still running with the throttle set where he left it so it was careening around inside the pub "and tables and chairs and shit were going everywhere." Laughed his ass off every time he told it.
vicster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #2464
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,638

damn, that was before everywhere in the UK was covered by CCTV (for your safety, of course)
that woulda been awesome to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
My dad was a dispatch rider during WW2 leading up to D-Day. Still have his leather pudding bowl helmet in a place of honor in my living room. And, yeah, there were some pretty good stories involving night runs during blackout on wet cobblestone streets, etc. His favorite was the time he low sided his 45 and it somehow managed to bounce up and into a pub. Of course it was still running with the throttle set where he left it so it was careening around inside the pub "and tables and chairs and shit were going everywhere." Laughed his ass off every time he told it.

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #2465
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,339
I've known lots of WWII vets and the vast majority of them didn't talk about it much. My dad included. He taught motorcycle mechanics at Ft. Knox most of the war, but spent the last six months in Europe. It was always my impression that they had seen and experienced a lot more than they wanted to remember, so they usually avoided the subject when they could.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #2466
Buck McCann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
I've known lots of WWII vets and the vast majority of them didn't talk about it much. My dad included. He taught motorcycle mechanics at Ft. Knox most of the war, but spent the last six months in Europe. It was always my impression that they had seen and experienced a lot more than they wanted to remember, so they usually avoided the subject when they could.
davevv...I understand that. My dad spent two years in Viet Nam as a helicopter pilot and only in the last few years has he opened up about his experiences, for which I'm grateful. They would have been lost forever otherwise.

He had two Hueys go down on the same day. In the morning they were shot down and in the afternoon the engine just quit and they auto rotated in.
Buck McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #2467
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
davevv...I understand that. My dad spent two years in Viet Nam as a helicopter pilot and only in the last few years has he opened up about his experiences, for which I'm grateful. They would have been lost forever otherwise.

He had two Hueys go down on the same day. In the morning they were shot down and in the afternoon the engine just quit and they auto rotated in.
same with my dad - never spoke to me about his time in Vietnam until recently.
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #2468
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oh, make no mistake, my dad had no stories to tell about any of his time once he landed on the European continent, but the family knew some of what he'd been through. When he was in his 60s, I asked him if he thought it was worth it. He said, "Yeah, if you'd seen those people in the camps, you'd know it was worth it." Shut me the hell up.
Hell of a generation.
The great thing is, years after he died, we found a box of letters in the attic he'd written to Mom and they chronicle his journey from England to Normandy to Berlin. I'd love to hop on a bike and use the letters as a guide to follow in his foot steps.

Sorry, Doug, hijack over.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #2469
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

no hijack, I enjoy hearing old bike stories. And if you have read any of my ride stories, you know I visit all the WW2 places I can.
I even found the remnants of the original Stalag Luft 3 near Zagan, Poland, the story from there is what the Great Escape is based on.

besides, the OT stuff on this thread is the best part.
All I do is dick around in my garage.

Started the JD today, gonna try to ride it tomorrow before I tear it apart.
I hate to tear apart a running bike.

But I know its gonna look badassed when I finish it!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #2470
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, your pictures from where the Battle of the Bulge took place are what got me hooked on your threads, as my dad was in there. They're what got me thinking I need to go too.

Speaking of dickin around in the garage, I should have some pictures of an R90HD to share in a week or so.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #2471
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

one day I will restore my 42EL to military trim, then I want to do a WW2 tour thru europe. My friend in Ireland has a WW2 BMW R75, I told him he should let me chase him all the way to Berlin :)

Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #2472
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,253
Quote:
no hijack, I enjoy hearing old bike stories. And if you have read any of my ride stories, you know I visit all the WW2 places I can.
I even found the remnants of the original Stalag Luft 3 near Zagan, Poland, the story from there is what the Great Escape is based on.

Started the JD today, gonna try to ride it tomorrow before I tear it apart.
I hate to tear apart a running bike.

But I know its gonna look badassed when I finish it!
My Cousin resided at Stalag Luft 3 for nearly 2 years after having his B-17 shot out from under him. I'd love to do a "WW2 History" tour of Europe.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #2473
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,983
Yeah my Dad was a WWII veteran as well. I find it interesting to look back at how everyone's fathers were pretty normal when I was growing up in the 50s - then think about the fact that most had been through that war less than 10 years before.

My Dad was captured at Bastogne in the Battle of the Bulge. Eventually loosened up over the years to talk about the march across Europe to where he was interned with all the remaining officers from Tito's army. IIRC it was Stalaft 16 if I got that right. Other interesting stories of life and death all around him. He NEVER watched an episode of Hogan's Heroes though.

On the old bike side though, he did buy a new Harley back around the mid or late 30s. Apparently he dropped it in some gravel up in north Alabama where he lived - and promptly sold it deciding motorcycles were not for him.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #2474
Kevan Garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Hey Doug.

Agree with you. I love the stories, old and new, about bikes and trips and the great people you run into along the way. Being a noob wrench I also enjoy watching you and others dickin around in the garage. I learn a lot and am less intimidated when I dive into a project.

Keep up the great ride stories, and the great build threads.

Quote:

Peace

Kevan
Kevan Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #2475
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,983
Hey Doug, are you making it to the Eustis swap meet this Spring? I just saw a thread here where its expanding to 3 days.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote