Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #31
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
I need to see stuff (and sometimes feel it) to understand. Any pics of your battery quick disconnect system on line?

Coulda used it at 2 in the morning when my wife's F650 caught fire...course it is under all that plastic, that'll slow you down some.

roy
Fire is one concern that prompted the rig. The other was the need to disconnect a bunch of grounds easily to open the front cover. I have the main one and two 10Ga dedicateds.

Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #32
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
So the 2 tool rolls I carry under my seat weigh about the same as my battery.

Feel zero difference when I ride without them.

And for that matter, there's almost no difference in my Airhead's handling with or without the saddlebags, lightly loaded.

Maybe on a 1 to 10 scale, about 1 point difference in lightness feel in twisties.

I'm really gonna doubt the avg middle aged (read body weight) ADV'r on an airhead is gonna make a dent in handling by placing a 15lb battery from the box to below the tranny.

But whatever, you guys seem to get pretty warped, I mean, wrapped up in these things....
I only carry one tool roll, plus a couple other tools scattered in nooks and crannies---but it's a very heavy tool roll. If I can move the battery down then the tool roll moves down to the batteries position.

On tour, I figure 15-18 lbs for tools and spares, 55 lbs of gas at a fill, 50 lbs of clothing and camping gear, 30 lbs of food, water and ground softener, depending on time of day. GF's run about 120lbs (I likes 'em muscular) plus an extra 30 lbs gear on a two up trip. I have heat shields for the mufflers so I can get the load pretty low, but still, stuff like the nights food, water and whatnot ends up on top. So the lower I can have the base weight, the better.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #33
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaka View Post
plus an extra 30 lbs gear on a two up trip. .
Busted!

ME 109 screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 03:30 AM
ME 109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #34
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,405
Quote:
Wait, are you guys seriously discussing how a few pound modern gel battery affects a 30 year old Airhead's handling.....
Lean - flex - weave wobble - resume vertical followed by more wobble
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #35
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post

On tour, I figure 15-18 lbs for tools and spares, 55 lbs of gas at a fill, 50 lbs of clothing and camping gear, 30 lbs of food, water and ground softener, depending on time of day. GF's run about 120lbs (I likes 'em muscular) plus an extra 30 lbs gear on a two up trip. I have heat shields for the mufflers so I can get the load pretty low, but still, stuff like the nights food, water and whatnot ends up on top. So the lower I can have the base weight, the better.
With all that added, you seriously believe lowering a mere 20lbs of that, makes a difference in an Airhead... with a strong woman hanging off to boot....?

What's the delta, .001 of a degree in lean.... Rossi?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #36
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,968
I'm reading this and just thinking "who packs 30lbs of food in America, on a bike!?"
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #37
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
I'm reading this and just thinking "who packs 30lbs of food in America, on a bike!?"
I bet the Donner party wished they did.....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #38
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,283
Quote:
Those of us that are riders?

I ride/commute every day, and well over 80mph.

Nope, don't feel much of a difference as I stated. Guess I just acclimate to however my bike is set up for that day and it behaves according to my input as a rider.

Sometimes, I don't know how some of you guys sleep at night with the amount of abstractions you bring into owning an Airhead...
Abstractions we bring into owning an airhead?!? You are thinking of it all ass backwards. What I am talking about is at the very core of owning an airhead: RIDING it.

Surely you know what I mean by 'riders'? The type guy that is lapping you in a few laps at a track day or whatnot?

Acclimate? What is in fact happening is that you are not riding the bike close to fast enough for the bags to make a difference. That's just fine. Now try to put your feet in the boots of one of those guys that can just RIDE. Go ahead and be proud of being slow and safe or whatever but don't at the same time be unwilling to see the sport from the eyes of one of those 'crazy' guys. I have had so many guys that remind me of how you are sounding tell me that they could ride like I do if they just had bigger balls. It comes off sounding kind of pathetic. It's skill, not balls. I certainly don't say that to guy's that are better at it than I am!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #39
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
3 gallons of water for camp, a 12 pack of beer for the evening (for 2, couple large bottle of good ale for one), 2 lbs steaks, half dozen eggs, pint milk, pint juice,small melon, pint cottage cheese and/or yoghurt, coupla bannanas, grapes, maybe a summer squash, brown 'n' serve rolls, spagetti sauce (small can), shredded mozzarella/provolone, small tin anchovies, bulb garlic, medium onion or two shallots, 1/2 lb bacon if possible, chocolate bars (large), marshmallows or jiffy pop, several shooters Beams Black or Wild Turkey 101, Portobellos, Wild rice or Polenta mix....

30 lbs easy. It's all gone by lunch the next day---the liquids by break of camp in the morning except a water bottle, the last of the baked sandwiches, stuffed mushrooms and fruit by mid-day. Late in the day/early evening hit a grocery store, liquor store, maybe a bakery, fill the water bags---be off the road and pitching camp by the time the deer get really active.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #40
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
With all that added, you seriously believe lowering a mere 20lbs of that, makes a difference in an Airhead... with a strong woman hanging off to boot....?

What's the delta, .001 of a degree in lean.... Rossi?
Yes.

I've loaded the bike poorly and experienced how bad it can get. Know what throwing 30 lbs of gas on the back rack---and then finding yourself riding through miles of deep soft sand is like? On a road bike shod with conti twins?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #41
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
3 gallons of water for camp, a 12 pack of beer for the evening (for 2, couple large bottle of good ale for one), 2 lbs steaks, half dozen eggs, pint milk, pint juice,small melon, pint cottage cheese and/or yoghurt, coupla bannanas, grapes, maybe a summer squash, brown 'n' serve rolls, spagetti sauce (small can), shredded mozzarella/provolone, small tin anchovies, bulb garlic, medium onion or two shallots, 1/2 lb bacon if possible, chocolate bars (large), marshmallows or jiffy pop, several shooters Beams Black or Wild Turkey 101, Portobellos, Wild rice or Polenta mix....

30 lbs easy. It's all gone by lunch the next day---the liquids by break of camp in the morning except a water bottle, the last of the baked sandwiches, stuffed mushrooms and fruit by mid-day. Late in the day/early evening hit a grocery store, liquor store, maybe a bakery, fill the water bags---be off the road and pitching camp by the time the deer get really active.

This is what we call "fat man camping."
By "we" I mean hikers/campers.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #42
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
Busted!

extra sleeping bag and pad, 8 lbs
second raingear and warmies, 6 lbs
triple extra earplugs, contaceptives, gadjets you can look busy with, 2 lbs
12Dc hairdrier and hot wawa boddle, 4 lbs
Clean underwear, 4 pairs of boots and cosmetics, 10 lbs.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #43
freud OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
hahaha...

I love how this thread ,at some point, turned into a discusion about food
freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #44
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
This is what we call "fat man camping."
By "we" I mean hikers/campers.
That 'cause the hikers/campers live one way when they are hiking/camping and another way at home. Backpacking I go pretty light--but it's gotten old and I don't do it much anymore. From the bike, boat or truck I live on the road about the same as I do at home. Fewer showers maybe. At home I cook extensively on wood and the Coleman (I'll get the kitchen finished some year). I eat food and prepare recipies that work with that style. While I have a very restricted diet anymore, I eat better than most people I know. I don't have the broadest range as a cook, but what I can make I can make very well, and I can handle cuisines from a number of cultures, mostly Middle Eastern and North African. I pick up new stuff here and there.

Been quite awhile now since I was a fat man.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #45
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by freud View Post
hahaha...

I love how this thread ,at some point, turned into a discusion about food
Yeah...usually it turns into one about the best oil...