ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #91
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer
 
VietHorse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
Oddometer: 1,382
Have you considered the heat which may affect to your battery?
__________________
***********************************
VIETNAM by Motorcycle | My Ride Reports on ADV

***********************************
VietHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #92
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietHorse View Post
Have you considered the heat which may affect to your battery?
From the exhaust pipe? Or just general heat? Yes and no. I have seen a fair few bikes with the battery mounted with the boxer metal kit and all seem to be ok. I think... Think being the key word, it will be ok haha
violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #93
digga
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpop View Post
From the exhaust pipe? Or just general heat? Yes and no. I have seen a fair few bikes with the battery mounted with the boxer metal kit and all seem to be ok. I think... Think being the key word, it will be ok haha
Don't really see where the 'heat' will be coming from personally! 'zorst pipes are due to be up and away - Ok there may be a little heat from the oil pan, but the battery will be sat in a slight breeze i would have thought??

Looking good and very black
__________________
Poise .... raising an eyebrow - not the roof.

Sex - the price women pay for Marriage.
Marriage - the price men pay for Sex !
digga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #94
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post
Don't really see where the 'heat' will be coming from personally! 'zorst pipes are due to be up and away - Ok there may be a little heat from the oil pan, but the battery will be sat in a slight breeze i would have thought??

Looking good and very black
I think this is spot on... The true test will be once the bike is back on the road.
violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:14 AM   #95
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 174
I have some updates from the fabricator. He has started to make the rear subframe and welded in the boxer metal frame braces. I am thrilled at how well the rear frame has turned out. Its very edgy and very different.











In the next few weeks a few things will be going on. The custom exhaust will be made, the old exhaust/pillion peg brackets will be cut off and new "round bar rods" will be welded in place. I will also be welding up the holes on the top clamp (that hold the stock bars) and cutting off the steering lock barrel and smoothing it out. Plenty more to do!
violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:58 AM   #96
oJOEYo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 23
Do you have any side-shots of that seat?
oJOEYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #97
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by oJOEYo View Post
Do you have any side-shots of that seat?
I didn't get a shot of the side while I was at the shop but if you look a few posts back you will find exactly the same seat with the number "5" on it. It's exactly the same cowl.
violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 AM   #98
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer
 
VietHorse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
Oddometer: 1,382
The sub-frame looks great! They 've done an awesome job. Just curious how the bike balanced with the side suspension and "side" sub-frame.
I am thinking of a bigger rear tire. Yours seems small? Is it 140?

__________________
***********************************
VIETNAM by Motorcycle | My Ride Reports on ADV

***********************************
VietHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:41 AM   #99
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietHorse View Post
The subframe looks great! They 've done an awesome job. Just curious how the bike balanced with the side suspension and "side" sub-frame.
Yo! The bike was always mono side mounted shock so I can't see it ring a problem.
violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #100
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer
 
VietHorse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpop View Post
Yo! The bike was always mono side mounted shock so I can't see it ring a problem.
Definitely right. It 's designed that way. Just don't know the feeling. How different to my 1200GS and my CX650. They both vibrates side-to-side when low RPM.
__________________
***********************************
VIETNAM by Motorcycle | My Ride Reports on ADV

***********************************
VietHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #101
oJOEYo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpop View Post
I didn't get a shot of the side while I was at the shop but if you look a few posts back you will find exactly the same seat with the number "5" on it. It's exactly the same cowl.

I didn't even recognize it! That seat is beautiful!
oJOEYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #102
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.
 
Pokie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 851
The perspective makes it look a little weird, it looks like the tire will hit the sub farme.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #103
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
The perspective makes it look a little weird, it looks like the tire will hit the sub farme.
It's different to the norm... Very unorthodox. I'm wrapped at how it turned out. This was the best picture I could find that showed the gap between frame and tyre. I can't see it being a problem.

violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #104
digga
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpop View Post
It's different to the norm... Very unorthodox. I'm wrapped at how it turned out. This was the best picture I could find that showed the gap between frame and tyre. I can't see it being a problem.

That subby looks the dog's bo**ox, very neat and eye catching nice job.

those braces look almost horizontal - i thought the idea was to brace the headstock area to the swingarm pivot area? ( always remember that a welder mate of mine would always say : Strength in Triangles. ??

(just my 2penn'orth)
__________________
Poise .... raising an eyebrow - not the roof.

Sex - the price women pay for Marriage.
Marriage - the price men pay for Sex !
digga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #105
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga View Post
That subby looks the dog's bo**ox, very neat and eye catching nice job.

those braces look almost horizontal - i thought the idea was to brace the headstock area to the swingarm pivot area? ( always remember that a welder mate of mine would always say : Strength in Triangles. ??

(just my 2penn'orth)
Thanks mate and I do get where you're coming from. It's hard to tell of the actual angles from all of these pictures, very deceiving. It is triangulated in a way and feels strong. The guy that welded it builds roll cages for tech inspected drag cars so I have complete faith in his work although time will tell.
violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014