Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 676
Copy and paste track points in Basecamp for Mac

I'm trying to copy track points from several tracks in a given region to create a loop ride. I seem to remember in Mapsource that you could double click the route and find the point you wanted to begin copying and hold the shift key and highlight and drag them to a new map. You just did the same with however many tracks you wanted to cherry pick and then join all the tracks to make your new track. In Basecamp the only way I could achieve this result was to split the track to get the points I wanted, thereby creating several tracks, then copy this into a new list and repeat. In Basecamp, I can open the Track Properties box and select the track points I want to copy, and under the Edit tab select copy, but I can't figure out how to paste them into a new project. My question is how to copy and paste track points from several tracks into one new one? I've been searching for several hours and reading about all kinds of similar issues, but none that specifically address this particular issue. Thanks for all the help and patience.

Dave
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 676
So, no one else has figured out how or if this can be done either?

Now I don't feel so dumb!
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Basecamp seems to be a real piece of shit for doing this type of thing.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
I'm trying to copy track points from several tracks in a given region to create a loop ride. I seem to remember in Mapsource that you could double click the route and find the point you wanted to begin copying and hold the shift key and highlight and drag them to a new map. You just did the same with however many tracks you wanted to cherry pick and then join all the tracks to make your new track. In Basecamp the only way I could achieve this result was to split the track to get the points I wanted, thereby creating several tracks, then copy this into a new list and repeat. In Basecamp, I can open the Track Properties box and select the track points I want to copy, and under the Edit tab select copy, but I can't figure out how to paste them into a new project. My question is how to copy and paste track points from several tracks into one new one? I've been searching for several hours and reading about all kinds of similar issues, but none that specifically address this particular issue. Thanks for all the help and patience.

Dave
BaseCamp for the Mac does not support cut/past of Track Points into a List or Track Properties window.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
jrsue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
BaseCamp for the Mac does not support cut/past of Track Points into a List or Track Properties window.
This was one of my concerns with Basecamp. In mapsource I would frequently cut and paste tracks together(properties window) to get what I wanted. With the help of some people on this forum, I could easily patch in, anywhere, a new section of track. It just required opening a new track window, inverting (the new) track, paste together, then inserting it wherever I wanted in the original track.

It is a bit different in basecamp (PC) but I have just recently got it sorted..works like a charm

--
jrsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsue View Post
This was one of my concerns with Basecamp. In mapsource I would frequently cut and paste tracks together(properties window) to get what I wanted. With the help of some people on this forum, I could easily patch in, anywhere, a new section of track. It just required opening a new track window, inverting (the new) track, paste together, then inserting it wherever I wanted in the original track.

It is a bit different in basecamp (PC) but I have just recently got it sorted..works like a charm
--
Yes, you can do similar editing of Tracks in the Windows-BaseCamp. I don't usually offer up alternative OS-BaseCamp solutions since most folks aren't using both.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
jrsue
Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, you can do similar editing of Tracks in the Windows-BaseCamp. I don't usually offer up alternative OS-BaseCamp solutions since most folks aren't using both.
Wow thats to bad Mac's don't support this. I use this all the time working with tracks.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Yes it is definitely a shortcoming. You would think that Garmin would say something about this somewhere people didn't have to waste time trying to figure it out. Mapsource was a snap to use for this sort of thing.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
jrsue
Adventurer

Is there any way to get Mapsource on a Mac? If so when you need this specific functionality, edit your track in MS, then bring it into BC. Or on the other hand... just be like the rest of the world and get a PC
Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

You can run XP on your mac using bootcamp. XP seems to run better on a mac than it does on a PC. I used to do this so that I could run Mapsource, until I swallowed the Basecamp pill. Basecamp is ok but I still think Mapsource was better. As most things computer based newer is better even if it isn't.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsue View Post
Wow thats to bad Mac's don't support this. I use this all the time working with tracks.
According to the Dev Team, v4.3 of Mac-BC will have more Track Edit capabilities - look for it in 1Q2014.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
jrsue
Adventurer

Quote:
According to the Dev Team, v4.3 of Mac-BC will have more Track Edit capabilities - look for it in 1Q2014.
Alright thats good to Know...will look out for it.

BTW... DRTBYK, lots of your posts and your BC info at your website is very good, and has been of great help in acquainting myself with BC. As a MS veteran I was very reluctant to make the switch but now I am glad I did. Have to say after a few weeks of using BC I like it better.