User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Vdub1970 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Ural vs ATV

I am looking into getting a Ural as a daily rider to get to and from work where I live in Vermont. I travel about 70 miles round trip a day, mixed interstate and backroads but the commute really could be converted to all off-interstate with only about a 5 minute time difference. The speed restriction doesn't bother me I drive old volkswagens reguarly, think a Ural is slow try 54hp and 3200lbs in a tintop vw camper...

Anyway my question is more in regards to the offroad capabilties side of the Ural 2wds. I would like to be able to access all of my property easily. My land is fairly steep and very soft/often muddy. There are quite a few down trees and logs mostly all under 6" around. IF you can get in deep enough there are some rutted up old logging roads that are reasonably passable. A buddy of mine came by last weekend and we tried to get his dirtbikes back there but it was way too soft to get up the hill to get on to the logging roads. I know my neighbor gets back behind his land which is similar with a utility style ATV (I think its a grizzly or a sportsman). I was looking into getting a Quad but maybe a Patrol or Gear-up could kill two birds with one stone. I would like to be able to drag out some firewood and do other land related tasks. Wood could be cut to a reasonable size and its all downhill to the house so I think either a Ural or an ATV would likely be able to drag wood down to the road where it can be grabbed by my tractor. I would likely harvest primarily in the winter and could get the log nose up on something so as to not dig in. I have seen pictures of Russian Rigs in WW2 dragging some heavy artillery through some pretty tough terrain.

Anyway bottom line question: what kind of offroad capabilties do the 2wd Urals really have?
Vdub1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,680
Nice first post.

From what I have read the 2wd Urals are good for muddy and snowy roads where traction is limited. They are fairly poor off road, and maintenance intensive.

I think you would be better served by a 4wd quad.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906932

This is a great trip report. Look at some of the terrain that he encounters that give him problems. Still the ride report really makes me want to own a Ural 2wd.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
A 2WD is very capable for a motorcycle. But 2WD isn't magic either. It's not going to be a mega built up crawler 4wd Jeep. For your use as a log skidder I wouldn't recommend it. If you can't get to the logs with your tractor you likely won't get there in a Ural either. Depending how close you can get you'd be better off putting a PTO winch on your tractor.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,275
I used my Gear up in some rocky steep rutted areas and it worked well.. In the mud & sand I found the exhausts turned into pontoons and the front wheel was a rudder..But on roads and snow it was great.. I wasnt always in 2 wd but fun when it was.. I miss it and am searching for another rig.

I figure a quad would suit your purpose more as you have rear and front tires getting power to the ground.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdub1970 View Post
My land is fairly steep
Possible problem. First gear isn't nearly low enough for these situations and Ural has a dry clutch. With that in mind, proper technique will help.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,916
Vdub1970,
Sounds like I have a similar property here in the mountains of Western North Carolina.
IMHO, You are gonna burn up the clutch in the Ural trying to drag logs.
I have ATVs, a UTV, and a four wheel drive compact Kabota tractor and for me the tractor wins out for dragging logs down the mountain on the logging roads.
Of course, my buddy's log skidder is the safest way to bring those logs down.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,216
As much as I love my Gear Up, I have to agree with everyone else. A 4x4 ATV would be much better suited out of the two choices you are looking at.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Vdub1970 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Nice first post.
You may have noticed I joined a couple years ago. I had intentions of posting a trip log from a 10,100 mile cross america trek I did but never got around to it. I do quite a bit of lurking around here as google searches of odd motorcycle related questions tend to lead me here more often than not but had yet to post.

I looked over that trip report linked and looks like a pretty amazing time makes me want a Ural or at least a hack all the more.

Quote:
If you can't get to the logs with your tractor you likely won't get there in a Ural either.
My tractor is a 1955 Ferguson TO-35 (very similar to a ford 8n) with a loader. Its 2wd and lacks power steering. Its a great rig for what it is but I have trouble getting around the yard without getting it stuck sometimes, no way will it ever make it into the back woods unless I winch my way from tree to tree.

Sounds like the way to go would be a Ural with 2wd to play with in and out of the woods and a cheap used ATV and winch for my wood pile.

Thanks guys.
Vdub1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdub1970 View Post
You may have noticed I joined a couple years ago. I had intentions of posting a trip log from a 10,100 mile cross america trek I did but never got around to it. I do quite a bit of lurking around here as google searches of odd motorcycle related questions tend to lead me here more often than not but had yet to post.

I looked over that trip report linked and looks like a pretty amazing time makes me want a Ural or at least a hack all the more.

My tractor is a 1955 Ferguson TO-35 (very similar to a ford 8n) with a loader. Its 2wd and lacks power steering. Its a great rig for what it is but I have trouble getting around the yard without getting it stuck sometimes, no way will it ever make it into the back woods unless I winch my way from tree to tree.

Sounds like the way to go would be a Ural with 2wd to play with in and out of the woods and a cheap used ATV and winch for my wood pile.

Thanks guys.
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I have extensive ATV and SxS background and I have a GU. Like most folks here I would recommend finding a good used ATV ( Honda TRX 300FW or mid 2000's Sportsman 500) for work and keep the Ural for commuting and mellow offroading. While you can certainly beat the snot out of a Ural, and it can take you places you might not normally go on two wheels, you would be better off not ask it to double as a pure work horse.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I ride my Ural on snowmobile trails in the winter, logging and forest service roads in the other 3 seasons, do enduro rallys with it..................................but try to use a Ural as a replacement for a 4X4 ATV and you will have a stuck or broken Ural.

Choose the right tool for the job.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Nuttymopar
Never a Dull Moment

Oddometer: 7
VDUB, how about you get in touch with me and I can come over and give it a try with my Ural....

I live around Montpelier, so not sure where you are at in Vermont.

If anything, it would make for a fun day.

Nuttymopar@yahoo.com
scott
Old 11-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,334
Getting stuck is all mental

We use to get stuck all the time w/ our first Ural 06.

We learned, now we get stuck only half the time......wife is still laughing.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
gobium
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Ural like leatherman multi tools. It can do lil of everything but it will not do one thing great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQX...e_gdata_player
gobium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Rolan
Plains Rider

Oddometer: 5
Maybe not a Ural?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post
I used my Gear up in some rocky steep rutted areas and it worked well.. In the mud & sand I found the exhausts turned into pontoons and the front wheel was a rudder..But on roads and snow it was great.. I wasnt always in 2 wd but fun when it was.. I miss it and am searching for another rig.

I figure a quad would suit your purpose more as you have rear and front tires getting power to the ground.
I have had my Ural Gear Up since I bought it new in 2007 and I have to agree with Fyr here. I use mine ghost town hunting for metal detecting, so I gets a good deal of off road use. It is very good on dirt roads even very rough ones. Its good off road through pastures and trails. Its very bad at deep sand and deep mud, also the gearing isn't low enough for crawling over extremely bad terrain. Urals are also maintenance intensive by modern standards. research carefully and get the right tool for the job.
Rolan is offline   Reply With Quote