User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #61
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Much as I thought...

... Triumph rig makes a much better highway bike. I find the KLR rig great on gravel tho, and surprisingly smooth for a single. First thumper I've owned too. You are in the perfect position now to compare... looking forward to any further thoughts you'd have on that. Triumphs sure are sweet looking bikes aren't they - classic! Will look very nice with the sidecar painted to match.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #62
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,554
Vern-any advantage to powdercoating the car instead of painting it? I usually only think of powder for metal parts. Its OK on fiberglass?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #63
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Vern-any advantage to powdercoating the car instead of painting it? I usually only think of powder for metal parts. Its OK on fiberglass?
I doubt it as the prcess involves heat and and needs to conduct electricity, Sputniks are metal.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:59 AM   #64
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
The Sputnik is all steel. This one had been poorly powdercoated in the past.I think it will be easier to do it over rather than prep it for paint. If the quote comes back too high I may paint it instead.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #65
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
The Sputnik is all steel. This one had been poorly powdercoated in the past.I think it will be easier to do it over rather than prep it for paint. If the quote comes back too high I may paint it instead.
Shows you how much I know about Sputnik's! Didn't realize it was steel. I suppose another option would be to have the powdercoater just do the blasting, then bring it home and paint it.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #66
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Fool Economy

Last tank of gas solo worked out to 40 mpg
First tank of gas with the sidecar works out to 31.3 mpg

spec sez I have a 4.4 gallon tank so in theory, assuming that is all available for use, I should have a range of 137.72 miles per tank.

reserve is only sposed to be .7 gallons, but I started missing at 88 miles and tanked up at 89.9 miles taking 2.87 gallons leaving a little over 1.5 gallons of reserve which in theory should give me almost 47 miles on reserve.

This has been easy, no passenger, no load commuting, longest trip about 12 miles, not much stop and go, top speed around 70mph.

better than my Suzuki, not as good as the KLR. Workable.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #67
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,883
Menace
Have you changed the gearing any ? Given that's it way over square 90x68 bore & stroke you may want to gear it down a little and spin it faster, I'd bet the economy would be better.DB
Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #68
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Menace
Have you changed the gearing any ? Given that's it way over square 90x68 bore & stroke you may want to gear it down a little and spin it faster, I'd bet the economy would be better.DB
You may be right+. I presume it has stock gearing but I havent checked. Going to leave it be for now,get some miles and a better feel for its performance.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #69
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

I had an old road sign in the scrap pile. I cut it up and rubber mounted it to my subframe for a skid plate

Old 11-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #70
lxmary
Dirty Girl

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGrrrl View Post
I ask because the Scrambler looks like a tempting choice for my next tug. When I got my first hack 20 years ago for my BMW R100GS I bought some spare spokes... 20 years later they're still sitting unused.
No broken spokes here.....Have driven a scrambler/cozy rig for 2 seasons with no issues. Bike is a 2008 and was ridden HARD before the sidecar was added- on AND off road. Awesome clearance on the rig- so it still goes off road, now with more stuff!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #71
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

I tacked the rally bar together today. I need to add the tab mounts for the lights and finish the welds...

Old 01-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #72
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,806
Happy New Year! We're still here listening, anything new happening with the rig? Awesome work by the way
Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #73
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Are you asking me?

Sorry, phone ate my photos. I threw the drive chain last week and it ate up my chain adjuster. Put new chain and sprockets on and cobbled together an adjuster until I can get a new one. I went down a tooth on the front sprocket(now a 17). No tach so no real data, but seat of the pants, it is not over revving at highway+ speeds and is a little more willing at take off and will thump along a t a walking pace, hauling the sidecar. Seemed fine with the OEM 18/43 but is more better with the 17. Simple cost effective swap.

I pulled the sidecar body off so it would be easier to get at the front sprocket. Running around with a waterlogged wooden rocket box bungied to the frame. I gave the paint codes to the painter and they are ordering paint. I need to completely disassemble the sidecar sheet metal so they can prep and paint it. Probably do that next week.

Been having problems with my mig welder, so I will need to go back over my light bar and luggage rack. Intend to fit a grab bar rack to the back of the bike and have some covers made, hopefully while the sidecar is getting painted

Have two LED spots and two LED flood lights to mount on the light bar above the front deck of the sidecar. Intend to wire them with the floods on with the low beam and all four on with the highbeam. Need to braze tabs to the rock guard for the headlight and do all the axillary wiring, including wire the tail light, signals and the running light on the sidecar. Plan to convert everything to LED.

Been riding the rig every day and it is very encouraging. Pulls effortlessly, not much steering effort. The suspension is harsh( I haven't done much rough stuff, though I was flying over dirt at about 50mph when I snapped the chain). There is a distracting wobble that comes and goes. Other than that it seems about perfect for what i want to do with it.

I will post photos when i have actually done something more to it.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #74
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,806
Haha yeah, I got to the end and assumed it was your building thread but apparently not

I guess we are all eager to see it done and painted, been wanting one for too long but need to focus on the monthly payments for now. thanks for the update, very encouraging!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #75
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Haha yeah, I got to the end and assumed it was your building thread but apparently not

I guess we are all eager to see it done and painted, been wanting one for too long but need to focus on the monthly payments for now. thanks for the update, very encouraging!

yeah I pretty much hijacked this thread

I have always been a big fan of Brit bikes and have had good experiences with the Hinkley machines. Been wanting one of the retro twins for quite awhile now. So far I am very happy with the Scrambler both solo and with the sidecar.