Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #16
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream View Post
I have the bike and I have stripped all the "tupperware" off and the only problem so far is, that it has sat for 2 years. Lots of stale gas and varnish. I have the fuel pump soaking in a mixture of 50/50 Seafoam and gasoline. I changed oil and filter, brake fluid and clutch fluid. The injectors will be looked at next. I also found out about Beemer Boneyard. They make the bike more affordable....
dream, three years ago we successfully used a Boneyard fuel pump kit in reclaiming a R850R that sat-up for 5 years. I can almost still smell that stale gas. We had the injectors cleaned too, which maybe wasn't necessary, but inexpensive. I suggest replacing all of the fuel lines, including the vent lines in the tank -- and we had to remove the canister that had become soaked with gas. The R850R was sold this summer to help finance the purchase of our GS rig.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 06:02 AM Reason: Canisterectomy
SwampFox883R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #17
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
You maybe able to salvage injectors and lines if you have not tried to start it, pump some solvent threw them and they maybe fine, good luck.DB
I had the injectors from my K100RS cleaned at a diesel injection service center after the bike sat for 6 months with the fuel rail open. It was ~ $12 each and included new O-rings.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
We have mounted many of our sidecars on these bike as well as used our steering modifications (similar to Hannigan's) and also make an automotive rear wheel for the bike. The bikes work very well with a sidecar, you should be happy with it.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
daydream OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thanks Jay. I like your rigs, especially the M72D on a BMW GS. You are on the "left coast" and I am on the "right coast". At my age it would take a lifetime to get there.

Tom
daydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #20
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

We ship kits all over the world.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Old 10-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
bert111bel
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
We ship kits all over the world.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Even to Europe /Belgium ??
bert111bel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #22
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Yes, and for both left and right side mount.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Old 10-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
chiba
elitist BMW snob

Oddometer: 1,175
As for width, expect something in the 6' range. I have a Hannigan Classic latched onto my K1200RS; I asked Claude to leave just barely enough room to get the right-side hard case on (it can't be opened) and that put my rig at almost exactly 6' wide. I can't imagine an R12RT-based rig with a sizable car would be much different.

Iron Butt Magazine - not just for LDR!

- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #24
daydream OP
Adventurer

Thanks for your input. I have a Aluma 638 trailer. It is 63" wide and 8' long. I would like to have the capability to use it if I have to.

The R1200RT is now running great. I guess sitting in a stew of ethanol, water, and stale gas was too much for the fuel pump. New pump, it started right up. I have pretty much decided to buy a Hannigan Sidecar for it and have them attach it. We have to go to Kentucky first and pick model out that not only looks good but meets my wife's expectations of comfort. Steerlite, Lean Control and hydraulic disk brakes are also on the list. Last thing, I don't care for the "trailer wheel look" on the tub so I will be looking for something else.

Tom
Old 10-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #25
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream View Post
Thanks for your input. I have a Aluma 638 trailer. It is 63" wide and 8' long. I would like to have the capability to use it if I have to.

The R1200RT is now running great. I guess sitting in a stew of ethanol, water, and stale gas was too much for the fuel pump. New pump, it started right up. I have pretty much decided to buy a Hannigan Sidecar for it and have them attach it. We have to go to Kentucky first and pick model out that not only looks good but meets my wife's expectations of comfort. Steerlite, Lean Control and hydraulic disk brakes are also on the list. Last thing, I don't care for the "trailer wheel look" on the tub so I will be looking for something else.

Tom
Hannigan can probably do a bmw R1200 wheel also, look at the adv model, get a swaybar DB
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #26
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,050
I have a Hannigan Conte Classic on my K12RS, I think the track is 56". It just fits on my Triton 64" wide trailer, the left footpeg just tips up at the top of the trailer fender. You need to check to see if the RT jugs will clear. I'm not too far from you if you and your wife want to take a look at the car.

This is with a short windscreen I made. The tall stock shield is mounted now if your wife wants to see and try it with the convertible top on.
www.earplugco.com

Bobmws screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 06:49 AM
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #27
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Rear BMW wheels can be ran on sidecars. The 4 bolt pattern that BMW ran for a while is a bit of a pain to run as the bolt circle is small enough that you can not mount the wheel bearings in the hub instead you must mount them in the end of the swing arm and build a special hub to also support the brake rotor. Or if you go with the newer 5 lug wheels we drill our hubs with two bolt patterns, the pattern for the automotive type wheel we run but also the BMW pattern so it is no problem at all to run a 5 lug BMW wheel off of a 1200 however FYI as lots of people read these posts for many years to come, some BMW's like the C650GT scooter have a smaller 5 bolt pattern, for these we have to drill a different pattern on our hub. Not an issue to do, just not some thing we keep on the shelve.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,408
We have done the Hannigan dual sport model (which is basically a Classic with a BMW wheel) on various bikes. We have also modified these to mount the same wheel on the sidecar that we do for a car tire conversion on the rear of the bike.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #29
daydream OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all your input. I looked at Sabrina Summers' Website and she is selling a BMW R1200RT with a Hannigan Dual Sport with the BMW wheel. I believe Claude put this rig together for her. I like the look - substantial but not bulky. (thesabrinasummers.com)

I hear discussion about "Sway Bar". Necessary or not? Also, is a steering damper required?. I am waiting for some parts from BMW so this questions keep popping in my head.

Tom
Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #30
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,327
I'm very pro swaybar once you try one you won't be without one,Hannigan installs them as does Claude, his are a bit more substantial.Steering dampers are personal preference, they all shake a bit but some are scarey.Your throwing a couple bucks at that thing, I think the Sabrina Summers rig is gone, I also really like it's look.DB