User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #1126
bent wheel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Huh?

I've been riding on the street and dirt ( I'm talking long journeys on dirt roads not just around some local track) for over 45 years. I've had my share of emergency responses, rocks on road around a corner, trucks pulling out if front of me, cars turning left etc. While I've spilled in the dirt plenty I've kept it upright on the pavement the whole time. Somehow my grandfathered motorcycle endorsement dropped off my license and I had to do the whole "new rider" thing at the DMV. In the instruction book it said to turn " press down on the handlebar". My response at that point and to this day is "Huh" ?
bent wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #1127
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Yeah the language was not very helpful. I remember now that just when my wife asked about countersteering a mc magazine I subscribed to mentioned countersteering with a more erudite description.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #1128
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent wheel View Post
I've been riding on the street and dirt ( I'm talking long journeys on dirt roads not just around some local track) for over 45 years. I've had my share of emergency responses, rocks on road around a corner, trucks pulling out if front of me, cars turning left etc. While I've spilled in the dirt plenty I've kept it upright on the pavement the whole time. Somehow my grandfathered motorcycle endorsement dropped off my license and I had to do the whole "new rider" thing at the DMV. In the instruction book it said to turn " press down on the handlebar". My response at that point and to this day is "Huh" ?
Turn a bike left you press down on the left bar and the bike will go left. I was told that at my advanced riding training. Even tho I corner with out thinking about it.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #1129
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
I'm a noob but here's what worked for me.

Find a nice safe corner somewhere (no traffic, no gravel, not a decreasing raduis, no dips or humps, or access from side roads with good line of sight around the whole turn, turn should be not too sharp and long enough so you can play with the lean of the bike = a tight sweeper

Our practice turn goes to the left

Get up to speed on straight approching practice turn

1. Brake to proper speed - for you

2 Look through the turn as far as you can see -Hint ( if as far as you can see is getting farther away the road is getting straighter - if it gets closer you just entered a decreasing raduis turn )

Counter steer - push forward on the left handle bar grip- feel bike lean over

Roll on the throttle.

Exit turn - stop pusing on left bar -roll off throttle depending on speed - stand bike up right

Go around your loop and do it again

This time - note is your elbow bent or straight when you push on the left grip -- a straight arm makes it harder to control how hard you are pushing - bend your elbow this time.

This time with bent elbow pushing on left grip - push down/back on the left foot peg -- feel how you can now press less on the left grip -push down then let off then push again - it a subtle adjustment - learn to do it every time and you can delicately adjust your lean with the pegs

This time with bent elbow pushing on left grip -foot pushing down/back on left peg - push in on the tank with your right knee/leg --let off then push in again -it has more effect than pushing on the pegs but it's still subtle.

This time scoot up on the seat with your chest closer to the tank and head over the bars prior to braking for the turn

With bent elbow pushing on left grip -foot pushing down/back on left peg - pushing in on the tank with your right knee/leg - and scooted up on the seat with chest on tank feel the bike lean and turn -

It will turn really easily - so be careful - forward weight shift makes more difference than pegs or pushing with your knees but all three won't get you around the turn without pushing on the grips

Can you adjust your lean in the turn if needed - can you not brake and take the turn - can you roll on more throttle -

Now turn around and do your loop the other way and practice to the right.

Go home -park the bike - drink some beer with your friends -

Next day - go to the same place -- Do all Four - Push forward on Grips- push in with knees and down on pegs - lean forward----but smoooooothly - smooth and steady sails the ship

Are you braking too hard for the turn causing the front suspension to bob as you enter the turn - are you changing gears mid-corner - are you having to adjust your line in the turn every time - how about your roll on the throttle is it smooth, in the right gear ?

This is just my experience on my V-strom which is kinda a tall - top heavy bike.

I'm no racer but using my whole body to ride the bike works better for me.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #1130
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
Didn't we all go through this as kids on bicycles?
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1131
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,429
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1132
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
If you didn't you certainly shouldn't be on one with a motor.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #1133
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Strange that this thread got bumped today.

I had the day off and was exploring roads. One road, in particular, was a very long, well paved and empty two-lane (it led back to a really nice airport). On my way out I found myself just looking around at the end of a long straight where I had sped the DR650 up to about 90 MPH. The corner came up upon me faster than expected (admitting that I wasn't really paying attention - too much scenery on an empty road to look at), and instead of subtly and unnoticeable-y, I felt my left arm push very quickly, forcefully, and very measured (to sway the handlebar a specific amount) to make the right turn I really wasn't ready for.

Counter-steering becomes that ingrained, and it's awesome!

Rode all day before that incident and never once though about counter-steering until I needed it in spades, lol.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #1134
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
Quote:
I did and you did but since I have been in the motorcycle industry I have met many who never learned to ride bicycles as kids. I am not going to turn them away from the joy of riding as adults. I point them to where to get good instruction and then supliment what they learned there by going riding with them.

Some of them have turned out to be very proficient riders... Others just treat it as a hobby. Whatever floats their boat.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #1135
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Yes but as kids you just rode the push bikes and did not know the ins and outs on of countersteering.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #1136
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Strange that this thread got bumped today.

I had the day off and was exploring roads. One road, in particular, was a very long, well paved and empty two-lane (it led back to a really nice airport). On my way out I found myself just looking around at the end of a long straight where I had sped the DR650 up to about 90 MPH. The corner came up upon me faster than expected (admitting that I wasn't really paying attention - too much scenery on an empty road to look at), and instead of subtly and unnoticeable-y, I felt my left arm push very quickly, forcefully, and very measured (to sway the handlebar a specific amount) to make the right turn I really wasn't ready for.

Counter-steering becomes that ingrained, and it's awesome!

Rode all day before that incident and never once though about counter-steering until I needed it in spades, lol.
Pushed left to go right???

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #1137
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I did and you did but since I have been in the motorcycle industry I have met many who never learned to ride bicycles as kids. I am not going to turn them away from the joy of riding as adults. I point them to where to get good instruction and then supliment what they learned there by going riding with them.

Some of them have turned out to be very proficient riders... Others just treat it as a hobby. Whatever floats their boat.
Over the years I've had several people in my MSF class who had never ridden a bicycle. I don't think one of them has ever passed. Imo it's a bridge too far.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #1138
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Yes. But, as kids, there was no instruction. We learned as a pure trial and error/stimulus response activity. Cognition of what we were trying to learn often got in the way of actually learning how to do it. Thus, some kids seemed to "get it" right away. And other kids struggled for some period of time. In the comic strip Calvin and Hobbs, Calvin struggles with learning to ride a bicycle while his Dad who does ride often is of no real help. Ask any kid who rides how he/she does that and teach it to a kid who does not ride for an example of frustration.

Some years ago, a guy was selling a vhs tape of how to teach a kid to ride a bicycle in about 20-40 minutes. I haven't seen it. but am led to believe that it works pretty well.

A cupple years prior to that "Bicycle" magazine ran a blurb on how tough it was to teach a highly motivated and well intentioned adult to ride a bicycle. The guy eventually learned. At the time it amazed me that that such 'experts' would not know how to do that?

My grandkids cannot ride a bicycle and seem to have no interest, wtf?

tbc
Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #1139
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Pushed left to go right???
Whoops. Right arm pushed. LOL
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR