User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 232
How do you hide your bike?

So I've been wondering: To those of you who like to camp off the beaten path, what do you do to make the bike less obvious? I have a blue/silver KLR and while Id like to repaint it a more stealth color, I really like the paint as is.

Ive been thinking of taking with me a small camo net but even the smallest are pretty bulky to pack. I hammock camp and to a point, I can get the bike under the tarp but theres plenty of times I wont have the tarp up or just dont want the bike under it.

For fun, heres me camping (car camping at a big camping event I host every year) im on the right

my other tarp (no door ends on this one)

I know a lot of people just camp way out of the way where no one would look, but times youre near where people can see and you'd rather not be noticed.

Ideas?

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
I try to pick my spot as close to dark as practicable. I pick a spot where passing vehicles headlights won't hit me. Once it is dark, if no light hits me , and I show no light, I'm not likely to be seen. At first light I'm gone.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
I try to pick my spot as close to dark as practicable. I pick a spot where passing vehicles headlights won't hit me. Once it is dark, if no light hits me , and I show no light, I'm not likely to be seen. At first light I'm gone.

Walter

thats what i do when i camp in the woods on an off ramp...lol

Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
So I've been wondering: To those of you who like to camp off the beaten path, what do you do to make the bike less obvious? I have a blue/silver KLR and while Id like to repaint it a more stealth color, I really like the paint as is.

Ive been thinking of taking with me a small camo net but even the smallest are pretty bulky to pack. I hammock camp and to a point, I can get the bike under the tarp but theres plenty of times I wont have the tarp up or just dont want the bike under it.

For fun, heres me camping (car camping at a big camping event I host every year) im on the right

my other tarp (no door ends on this one)

I know a lot of people just camp way out of the way where no one would look, but times youre near where people can see and you'd rather not be noticed.

Ideas?
push it over in the long grass.

Just kidding, but seriously, why hide it, you have a hammock that is obvious to see, just camp as if you are supposed to be there. If confronted, plead ignorance and beg for forgiveness.
fredgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
push it over in the long grass.

Just kidding, but seriously, why hide it, you have a hammock that is obvious to see, just camp as if you are supposed to be there. If confronted, plead ignorance and beg for forgiveness.
oh thats rule #1....

the hammock is surprisingly invisible

unless its this one...

not so stealth!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,831
Why hide it, put a disk lock on or cable through the wheels and I seriously doubt you'd sleep through someone trying to make off with it. Like others mentioned, if you're on a busy road, don't put it out where every passing car can see it but I doubt you'll be camping (or at least sleeping) on a busy road.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
S

Ideas?
Don't worry about it.

The glow of your IPad gives you away anyway
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,025
I sometimes carry a small surplus camo poncho, that I use a quick shelter, a work area and have been known to hide the bike when I'm someplace I shouldn't be. Oh, and I've actually used it as a Poncho as well. With a bunch or paracord with it, It all packs up to about the size of a Fosters Beer can.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Motopapillon
Eppur si muove

Oddometer: 343
Don't worry about the flashy paintjob on your KLR -- at night what gives it away are the reflective lenses on the lights. When I stealthcamp on my KLR I bring along a 6 x 8 cheapo plastic tarp, in forest green or poop brown, a couple of dollars from any bigbox discount department store. I roll this up tight, wrap it with a rubber strip cut from an inner tube, and since it's about the size of a D battery flashlight I can always find a place to stow it. I use it to tarp the bike if I get rained in for a day or two, as a sacrificial sunscreen on my collapsed tent in the desert, and to drape over the bike to shield. it from passing lights when I prefer my presence go unnoticed.

As a KLRista, I can sometimes get two, even three seasons out of a singe tarp.
Motopapillon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Why hide it, put a disk lock on or cable through the wheels and I seriously doubt you'd sleep through someone trying to make off with it. Like others mentioned, if you're on a busy road, don't put it out where every passing car can see it but I doubt you'll be camping (or at least sleeping) on a busy road.
not the issue here. im saying when you dont want to be seen for....privacy....reasons, how do you hide it?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
It seems that many here just don't get what the OP is asking. Hint: It's in the thread title...

When I'm stealth camping, I generally find a place that is far enough from any roads that I could even build a camp fire if I need to. I usually find a country dirt/gravel road, and then find small trails that lead off from that. Then I go back plenty far away so that hiding my bike is a non-issue.

This, however, doesn't always work, since you can't be guaranteed to find just what you're looking for. In this case, I try to find a place that has some natural cover like a briar patch or some other thick vegetation to park behind. Or if there is a small hill or depression that can hide my bike, that works too. I have my bike covered in reflective tape so that other drivers can see me. Unfortunately, when I'm trying to hide my bike, the reflective tape isn't my friend. I always keep a tan kelty tarp in with my tent bag. I've only had to use it to cover my bike once, but it worked very well... Just make sure to let your bike cool before putting the tarp over it! I have the smallest size (9 foot) Kelty tarp, and it packs reasonably small.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
good advice, just keep riding deeper but...
sometimes you just can't be completely hidden. and then who are you hiding from? i guess he could throw a camo tarp over the bike, but in the end if someone is in that area they are gonna see ya. short of laying the bike sideways and doing a military style cover for you and the bike you're still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
It seems that many here just don't get what the OP is asking. Hint: It's in the thread title...

When I'm stealth camping, I generally find a place that is far enough from any roads that I could even build a camp fire if I need to. I usually find a country dirt/gravel road, and then find small trails that lead off from that. Then I go back plenty far away so that hiding my bike is a non-issue.

This, however, doesn't always work, since you can't be guaranteed to find just what you're looking for. In this case, I try to find a place that has some natural cover like a briar patch or some other thick vegetation to park behind. Or if there is a small hill or depression that can hide my bike, that works too. I have my bike covered in reflective tape so that other drivers can see me. Unfortunately, when I'm trying to hide my bike, the reflective tape isn't my friend. I always keep a tan kelty tarp in with my tent bag. I've only had to use it to cover my bike once, but it worked very well... Just make sure to let your bike cool before putting the tarp over it! I have the smallest size (9 foot) Kelty tarp, and it packs reasonably small.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
woodentoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I think you did a great job hiding it!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #14
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
good advice, just keep riding deeper but...
sometimes you just can't be completely hidden. and then who are you hiding from? i guess he could throw a camo tarp over the bike, but in the end if someone is in that area they are gonna see ya. short of laying the bike sideways and doing a military style cover for you and the bike you're still there.
You'd be amazed at what people don't see that is right in front of them if they're not looking.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 289
tarp

this is more to keep the rain from puddling in my seat then to hide the bike
dutchjohn is offline   Reply With Quote