Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
garry_kramer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I have used maps.com no problems on delivery or choice.

Garry
2012 KLR650
garry_kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,838
Pick out your destination and plan your route every morning.
Do not be on a schedule.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #18
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
i like the idea. i have 5 maps of the Moab area on my wall. it brings attention to my love of the area.

i would go with a simple US map. my father in law has on in his computer room. he used it for basic reference when he had a flight coming up. used pins and string to reflect his intended flight plan. a sort of fail safe for my mother in law, should he fly out and not report back.

when the time comes and i can make the long road trips, i do plan a similar thing. large map, either by state, region or US, then area maps to give specific info on local routes or hazards.

my Moab maps are the NatGeo maps from one of the local adventure shops. they are scaled maps with grid reference and are useful for both gps and compass navigation... which i did both of while out on the trails in my Jeep back in 2006. the routes i took are highlighted, as are the routes that i intended to take... but did not get the chance to.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Benchmark Atlas Taped Together

I bought two of these Benchmark Atlas books,

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listin...-2690256483047

removed the staples and taped the pages together. I now have a GIANT wall map of Colorado with great detail. It did help me plan my off road trip, however, I will admit (in hindsight) that the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Map by Butler, had enough detail for what I did. If you want every possible jeep trail option, then taping together a Benchmark Atlas will give you the detail and big-picture overview. Oh - I forgot to mention, we also have a ping-pong table we don't use anymore...I used that as my map table.

Cheers,

Pangia

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Another Wall Map afflicted soul, here.

Most of the walls in my apartment have maps taped up on them, bristling with coloured push pins showing where I've been, where I want to go, potential interests, etc.

A lot of the times I will put up some of the well worn and much scribbled on/used to funnel gas through, tank bag maps that I used during a trip, as a fond memory kinda thing.

These maps aren't for in depth metre by metre GPS accurate trail traversing, but simply a big picture overview down to the 4x4 roads and FSR/Logging roads scale. Many a pleasant cup of tea consumed with schemes and dreams, planned on cold winter nights.

I do have a fairly highly detailed photocopy jigsaw puzzle pastiche that I made up from one of the "Backroad Maps" covering several square feet nearly floor to ceiling in the hallway, though, lol...
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #21
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 613
Yes, know how many of you feel. I read maps like people read books. Can stand around looking at a wall map like folks sitting around a camp fire....
Rarely do my trips ever match the planned route though.
And was wondering how big a wall one needed for a mapbook. Guess its one hallway wall for southern B.C. and then northern on the way back!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 915
this is all I use anymore...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!!!
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
rover650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I'm thinking of getting this one from ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70119430/
rover650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover650 View Post
I'm thinking of getting this one from ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70119430/
If you go with that, post back here how you like it...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!!!
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #25
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 568

I have this one on my office wall. Mrs Trip gave it to me for xmas one year. A real map gives you perspective, something that gps/computer maps don't do well at all. This one is not cheap, but they are beautifully made. (...hmmm, having looked at the other links, its not so expensive at all...)

http://www.ravenmaps.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NA

Rhode trip screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 09:10 AM
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,987
Maps are nice to look at and great for the blue sky type of route planning but if you're getting to the nitty gritty of planning a ride, it's not going to give you near enough detail to do it properly unless you're A. sticking to pavement or B. have access to topos for the entire route which would amount to allot of maps. Talking to locals is great if you can find those who are willing to discuss their area and actually have a knowledge of it, many don't. I've been directed off on wild goose chases by locals before and have also been directed to some really cool places only a local would know about. I wouldn't want to rely solely on that option in the western US. For detail planning Delorne sells state recreational atlas that has the topos, that's probably one of the few paper solutions that's realistic for off road planning with enough detail to be usable in remote areas. I take the atlas apart and use pages from them as a hard copy paper backup for the GPS.

It's hard to beat doing it electronically; Topo emaps, Garmin Mapsource program and Google Earth work great here in the US. We do some rides in pretty remote areas where planning is critical so I'm talking from experience. Some riders like to wing it, not a smart idea out west, esp if you're in the desert where fuel and water isn't readily available. More than once we've come to the rescue of travelers "winging it" off the beaten path, had we not come by it might have gotten ugly. You may not want to follow a scripted itinerary but you'll want to know exactly where you're at all the time, it can be a long walk out if you have a mechanical, run out of fuel or have an injury.

Even if you don't have a GPS rig yet, the Mapsource pgm is available for free download as well as free Topo emaps of many western states. If you want to get the routes or tracks for different rides from other inmates then you have to go electronic.

I'd suggest getting ahold of the CDT tracks, the MS program and free topo maps and start playing around. You be amazed at the detail you can drill down to as well as having distance and elevation info right there. Paper topos are nice but you'd need a big stack of them to cover a decently long ride like the CDT which is not very realistic. Once you get the tracks into Mapsource, it will let you open them in Google Earth (There's other ways to do this but the two, mapsource and GE work well together) Once the track is open in GE, you'll have a birdseye view of your ride with the ability to drill down and look at terrain features as well as pictures people have taken in the same areas which is invaluable for locating POIs along your route. On a remote ride I'll get the tracks built, then open them up in GE, fly the entire route making note of the interesting places along the way, then go back into mapsource and make POIs of the places I've discovered in GE. When you actually begin the ride you'll have good "locational awareness" of your path which is essential if things don't go as planned.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
Virtual Rider
Traveler

Oddometer: 764
Buy one of these for your favorite state: Delorme Atlas & Gazetters

Then remove the pages and assemble them as wall paper. I always thought that would be cool to see.