ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,111
Mounting the Vario top case further forward than stock location?

Currently I have a Pelican 1520 top case.

Since I rerely if ever have a passenger on the bike, I mounted the case further forward such that it covers most of the passenger seating area.
This gives me better weigh distribution and ... of course keeps the bike from looking like it has a bubble-butt ...

Question:
Has anyone studied the feasibility of, or actually figured out a way of mounting the Vario top case further forward than its stock location?

I'm wishing I had a "variable" size top-case, that was keyed with the bike....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Tronna area, Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 2,242
Well my topcase is on it's way to Cali where the buyer is putting it in the pillion spot on his 12GS.

Keep in mind that a 12GS or 658/800 mount works with either the R or F GS topcases. The 12's pillion seat is removeable and separate from the riders so with the case mounted pillion, the back rest cushions work now for the rider.

You have vario side cases right? You'd have to fab up cross pieces then mount a mount to it. There's often 12GS mounts in the FM.
__________________
Now with only 1 Triple Black.
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
... You have vario side cases right? You'd have to fab up cross pieces then mount a mount to it. There's often 12GS mounts in the FM.
Reaver:
Yeah, I have the vario side cases.
I'll start watching FM for a mount kit ...

Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
ktownbobski
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 126
I'd like to do this on a 700GS, but the stock Vario racks are different than the 650 I think. Any idea how this could be done on the 700?
__________________
Never really grew up, just learned how to act in public . . .
ktownbobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,111
I do think the thumpers are a different mount.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I have the 650-twin and am 99% sure the setup is the same as the F700GS.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
GH41
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 822
How will you remove the seat if brackets are attached to the Vario cases?? I wouldn't trust the plastic Vario cases to adequately support an empty top case much less a loaded one. Last but not least... the case moved forward will complicate mounting the bike. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
How will you remove the seat if brackets are attached to the Vario cases?? I wouldn't trust the plastic Vario cases to adequately support an empty top case much less a loaded one. Last but not least... the case moved forward will complicate mounting the bike. GH
yeah... I'm not sure it's a good idea... I was hoping for inspiration / a clever solution from a fellow inmate

Here's a shot of how my current pelican is attached - it is a solid setup.
I have the tourtech luggage rack installed and the pelican is bolted to it with thumb screws in four places - can be removed easily but only when empty, it would be very nice to have a quick-release for carrying to tent/hotel...

But at least I can slide the seat in and out with this setup in place.


JRWooden screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 01:32 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
toowheels
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 939
Hey JRWooden,

The MOD Top Rack will allow you to slide the entire rack forward 50mm (2") for exactly that reason. It isn't Vario compatible but will work with Givi/Kappa Monokey, SW-Motech TRAX and Steel Pelican adapters for external quick release options.

Doesn't affect the removal of the seat either.

Details here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536723

Thanks,

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
& Giant Loop for Canada

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,111
Thanks Dave!

I was actually just staring at the MOD plate the other day!
It's an awesome plate ... wish I'd seen it before I bought my TT.

(but actually I may have to forgive myself ...
maybe you hadn't designed it yet...
I got my bike & plate in fall of 2008 )


Starting over (something I may still do) ...
MOD plate would still be my first choice ... esp. the new 2013 model

I'd like to be able to move it fore-aft by somewhere in the range of 6" to 8".
So that in forward position it would cover most of the passenger seating area (I usually ride now with small diameter stuff sack lashed to front of top case with cloths or sleeping bag in it and it makes a great little back rest), and then in the rear position it would "reveal" all of the passenger seating area.....

I'm thinking about a pair of cheap metal drawer slides (cheap as in no ball bearings) mounted between the top box and plate with a shot pin to lock bag in front or rear position ... but ...
it's too early in the day for this kinda thinking ...

There's a good chance your plate will end up being at the bottom of this rig if the idea ever gets off the ground.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Tronna area, Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 2,242
Jimmy, if you're going to do it then do it well.

Take an electric seat base from a small car and mount the toggle switch on the bars. Fully adjustable on the fly for those long journeys. Spot a distressed biker? Toggle that seat base/topcase rearward without getting off the bike. That'll impress the temp pillion.

If it makes you feel better, use a BMW seat base..........
__________________
Now with only 1 Triple Black.
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Jimmy, if you're going to do it then do it well.

Take an electric seat base from a small car and mount the toggle switch on the bars. Fully adjustable on the fly for those long journeys. Spot a distressed biker? Toggle that seat base/topcase rearward without getting off the bike. That'll impress the temp pillion.

If it makes you feel better, use a BMW seat base..........
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm electric ......
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.
 
FredRydr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Carlisle Pennsylvania USA
Oddometer: 2,183
Or just buy a 2014 R1200GS and remove the pillion seat. Probably be cheaper.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Or just buy a 2014 R1200GS and remove the pillion seat. Probably be cheaper.

Fred
Oh ... no ... not after you count all the other farkels I'd have to re-buy ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.
 
FredRydr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Carlisle Pennsylvania USA
Oddometer: 2,183
Another alternative: I have a BMW small sport case which I use on both my bikes. Not only does it attach to the racks, but also attaches to the pillion seats. It is waterproof, and contents are easily accessible. When traveling light without camping gear, the top case on the rack and the sport bag clipped to the pillion seat is my last step before being forced to install side cases

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
toowheels
on a mission...
 
toowheels's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thanks Dave!

I was actually just staring at the MOD plate the other day!
It's an awesome plate ... wish I'd seen it before I bought my TT.

(but actually I may have to forgive myself ...
maybe you hadn't designed it yet...
I got my bike & plate in fall of 2008 )


Starting over (something I may still do) ...
MOD plate would still be my first choice ... esp. the new 2013 model

I'd like to be able to move it fore-aft by somewhere in the range of 6" to 8".
So that in forward position it would cover most of the passenger seating area (I usually ride now with small diameter stuff sack lashed to front of top case with cloths or sleeping bag in it and it makes a great little back rest), and then in the rear position it would "reveal" all of the passenger seating area.....

I'm thinking about a pair of cheap metal drawer slides (cheap as in no ball bearings) mounted between the top box and plate with a shot pin to lock bag in front or rear position ... but ...
it's too early in the day for this kinda thinking ...

There's a good chance your plate will end up being at the bottom of this rig if the idea ever gets off the ground.
Thanks! and yeah we didn't come out with it until Mar. 2010.

Interesting idea with the drawer slides. I figure you can go about 6" forward of the mounts (depending on height) and not interfere with the seat removal.

Electric car seat base Reaver...wow!!

FredRydr I haven't seen that BMW small sport case. Is it a hard case? Got a pic?

Thanks,

Dave
__________________
Moto Overland [MOD] -Skid Plates, Top racks, Tool Boxes etc for Adventure bikes
& Giant Loop for Canada

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014