Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #20881
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,505
Money spent on suspension is like money spent on your Mom. Good things will come from it.
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #20882
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux View Post
Money spent on suspension is like money spent on your Mom. Good things will come from it.
true
oil change is a must at least once a year
Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #20883
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
true
oil change is a must at least once a year
Yeah, that's for sure on the to-do list. I'm leaning towards fluid change and respring the rear (front sag is good...suspect a previous owner fitted stiffer springs up there) and spend some time setting clickers and see where I stand. She really wanted to swap in the whoops a few times and over-rotate coming off berms so upping rebound screws is on the list for next time.
32x20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #20884
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32x20 View Post
Anybody have any thoughts on suspension revalving? Worth the $$? A search turns up lots of people who think it's a transformation of the bike but I do wonder how much you can really do with a 320lb dual sport.

My suspension could use at minimum a fluid change and I need to go to a heavier rear spring...debating sending it off to be revalved. I'm challenged by sand whoops and really want the bike to behave its best over them. Got to ride with a couple 250 MX-ers in the woods over the weekend and while I never expect to be nipping at their heels it would be nice to put in a better showing.
I'm lucky, I have a really good suspension guy damn near right next door. ZR1.

I'm a big guy, 240ish, and I talked to him. He said that the valving on the DRZ is pretty good from the factory, but it's hampered severely by being undersprung in almost all cases. I dropped my bike off, and for $400 he resprung it, changed the oil/seals, and basically did a very thorough suspension service.

It really did transform the bike. I can't say enough good things about it. I used to have a LOT of front end chatter on corners that weren't smooth, now I can cut through corners wih whoops, rocks, ruts, whatever, no issues. The bike hooks better, turns better, just does everything better.

A revalve will only make a difference if your riding is outside the type/speed of riding that the bike is valved for from the factory. But proper spring rate, and oil weight, will make a big difference, because it will allow the factory valving to work how it is supposed to.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #20885
bmwpowere36m3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
That's interesting... The DR-Z is known to be blunt at the bottom and then digressive through the rest of the suspension velocity vs damping force curve. The suspension is also prone to plummeting through its travel at both ends when pushed because compression damping forces near maximum suspension velocity are too low for anything but trail riding which tends to have the lowest suspension demands. Increasing the oil viscosity hurts the low speed circuits (the bluntness - it might feel better on the road where suspension velocities are very low) and 15-20cSt is about optimum with tailored stack configurations.
Front adjusters are low speed only... ramping up the low speed damping will help the feel into a corner and decrease the tendency to tuck, but it will do very little for the rest of the damping curve. Excessive low speed damping just increases harshness.
The rear has both high and low speed adjustments, but these have a limited range.

The bikes around here are about half and half for RT and OEM valves. I normally recommend RT Gold Valves because when buying these valves they come with the support to configure the stacks for weight and riding style. People are usually on their own when designing custom stacks for the OEM valves.

A while back I posted several front stack combinations (including stock) for the OEM valves and their associated damping curves that would have met the needs of most riders (tested by better riders than me), but there was no interest so I didn't bother with the rear.
+1

If you guys are really interested in doing revalves… there is a LOT of good info/knowledge, shim stacks, plots, etc… for both the forks and shock in this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/103...commendations/

Personally I've tried and developed a few of those recommended stacks. With each successive revalve, the bike feels better and better

When I first switched to stiffer springs for my weight, I didn't feel a big difference in the suspension's performance. However following the first revalve The stock suspension is good for moderate trail use at moderate speeds. Pick up the pace, hit whoops, high-speed obstacles and the DRZ will leave you on the ground without confidence.
bmwpowere36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #20886
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Oddometer: 246
Has anyone installed one of these on they DRZ? I'm thinking this would be a great thing for those of US that load the electric system down with heated grips,vest & Gps.
<b><font color="#FF0000">SALE PRICE!</font> </b> DRZ400S-KLX400S Battery Upgrade Kit HTP7-3-31
2005 Klr 650
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #20887
Psycho18th
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
We get a bit of snow, even in the desert.

This is up north of Crown King.
Psycho
00 and '07 YAM TTR 90s (kids' bikes)
89 Lockheed F-16C (Work vehicle )
Psycho18th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #20888
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
+1

If you guys are really interested in doing revalves… there is a LOT of good info/knowledge, shim stacks, plots, etc… for both the forks and shock in this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/103...commendations/

Personally I've tried and developed a few of those recommended stacks. With each successive revalve, the bike feels better and better

When I first switched to stiffer springs for my weight, I didn't feel a big difference in the suspension's performance. However following the first revalve The stock suspension is good for moderate trail use at moderate speeds. Pick up the pace, hit whoops, high-speed obstacles and the DRZ will leave you on the ground without confidence.
That thread is partially what prompted the question. I think I may give it a shot on the forks but not sure I have the desire & equipment to do the shock. I've never felt like my forks are too bad (but maybe that's because the shock is underperforming?). I really need to tear into them and see what I'm working with. I may try some of the shim stacks in the forks and send off the shock for a re-stack.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #20889
32x20
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Front and rear really need to be done together with the same design goals to achieve a balanced bike. Even then it is likely that you'd be pulling it all apart a half dozen times to get it right so it would probably pay to get familiar with the rear shock which really is very easy once you've got the right tools (it is not a lot) and been into it once or twice.
Yeahhh, I can see getting sucked into this. Guess with the time change I've got a bunch of nights after work to play with fork oil in the garage...
Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #20890
blaster11
Ding fries are done!

Oddometer: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
Has anyone installed one of these on they DRZ? I'm thinking this would be a great thing for those of US that load the electric system down with heated grips,vest & Gps.
<b><font color="#FF0000">SALE PRICE!</font> </b> DRZ400S-KLX400S Battery Upgrade Kit HTP7-3-31
I have it on my bike, easy install and works fine. Just remember that you can't run larger than a 120 tire with this or it will rub.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #20891
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByU06 View Post
No experience with that particular battery, but I've been using an 8-cell Ballistic Evo2 for about two years now, running heated grips and a GPS with no issues, never dipped below 13.5v. Haven't touched a battery tender since I installed the Ballistic, but I also ride year-round. Adding heated sock liners to the mix this winter, so we'll see how that impacts things.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #20892
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Starchamp,
Does this battery fit in and stock position? and where is it available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
No experience with that particular battery, but I've been using an 8-cell Ballistic Evo2 for about two years now, running heated grips and a GPS with no issues, never dipped below 13.5v. Haven't touched a battery tender since I installed the Ballistic, but I also ride year-round. Adding heated sock liners to the mix this winter, so we'll see how that impacts things.
2005 Klr 650
Old 11-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #20893
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Blaster,
Thanks for the heads up about the tire size restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
I have it on my bike, easy install and works fine. Just remember that you can't run larger than a 120 tire with this or it will rub.
2005 Klr 650
Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #20894
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,919
DRZ ride report. (Not Me, but I wished).

110 days of off road to Central Asia

Earlier this year my wife (Kim) and I (Seb) went on an adventure ride from Belgium to Mongolia and further to Central Asia for 110 days of offroad mayhem. We were both riding DRZ's 400E and still grateful to Walter Colebatch for some of his Sibirsky Extreme tracks for Kazakhstan and Russia.

No, this is not a copy/paste or a hoax of Walter's and Terry's last ride, but an adventure of it's own since our final destination had nothing to do with Magadan and in the end we did only parts of Walter's tracks.

We didn't prepare too much in advance, only all our visa and some off road tracks and off we went, direction East for almost 4 months.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post22720159

AteamNM screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 09:11 AM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #20895
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
DRZ ride report.

110 days of off road to Central Asia

Earlier this year my wife (Kim) and I (Seb) went on an adventure ride from Belgium to Mongolia and further to Central Asia for 110 days of offroad mayhem. We were both riding DRZ's 400E and still grateful to Walter Colebatch for some of his Sibirsky Extreme tracks for Kazakhstan and Russia.

No, this is not a copy/paste or a hoax of Walter's and Terry's last ride, but an adventure of it's own since our final destination had nothing to do with Magadan and in the end we did only parts of Walter's tracks.

We didn't prepare too much in advance, only all our visa and some off road tracks and off we went, direction East for almost 4 months.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post22720159
This is what I'm talkin' about! Makes my lame attempts at ADVenture seem... lame. Good on youse guys for taking it on the back track.