User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
KGER OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb New Airhead seeking knowledge, providing lunch

Hi all- First post here after reading many, pretty excited.

I just joined the Airhead contingent after purchasing a 75/7 with 13K miles from a grease monkey in the Folsom area. He did a good amount of std maintenance (fluids, some rings, a tune up) and it runs/starts really great. So far I've been working on removing a bunch of touring accessories (windjammer, trunk, 60lb chromed trailer hitch set up, CB radio) and returning it to a more stock appearance. I just got new tires on it and reinstalled the headlight.

I'm reaching out to find an Airhead in San Francisco who would be willing to meet up and take a look at her and just share your thoughts. I'm not sure how these things are supposed to sound and feel, so I'd appreciate someone taking it for a test ride and letting me know what they think.

I'm happy to treat for a burger and a beer or two, plus my unconditional gratitude.

Any takers? I'm near the presidio which is a nice place for a traffic free test ride. It would also be great if you were a good person and not a bike thief .
KGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,215
Go to Pyramid Brewery in Berkeley this Wednesday night at 6PM. The monthly Airhead group gathering...you'll meet the most experienced guys in Northern California.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
KGER OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Go to Pyramid Brewery in Berkeley this Wednesday night at 6PM. The monthly Airhead group gathering...you'll meet the most experienced guys in Northern California.
Ah damn-Can't make this weds, but thanks for the heads up. Is that the regular meeting place/time? I just joined the club last week and I'm still trying to figure my way around the site.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Welcome

First of all Welcome to the asylum.

You will find some great help on here.

Not too many bike thieves lurking :)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Justus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hey KGER, sounds like I'm in a similar spot! I just got my R75/5 a few months back. I don't have much experience with airheads yet, but I'd be game to meet up and swap notes sometime.

(I'm in Oakland, BTW.)
Justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 683
Welcome to the nuthouse KGER & Justus. Justus, do like KGER and join the Airheads http://www.airheads.org/

They'll take care of you. I've lost count how many times they've helped me. They also do something real cool called Techdays. All the local Airheads meet at someone's house and they wrench on their bikes. An important part of this is the vets helping out the noobs with advice and pointers. Plus it's usually at a place where they have lots of special tools. Then there's the beer and brats! Can't go wrong. Lots of cool Bay Area Heads. PM me if you need more info.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6

Thorazine screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 08:21 PM
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 683
Ah yes. The Airheads know who the best wrenches and parts suppliers are too.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGER View Post
Ah damn-Can't make this weds, but thanks for the heads up. Is that the regular meeting place/time? I just joined the club last week and I'm still trying to figure my way around the site.
Yup, every first Wednesday. Look for a tech day. Best day you'll spend.

I would offer to help, but I'm still learning my way around these machines. And mine is currently a pile of parts...

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Hey KGER, sounds like I'm in a similar spot! I just got my R75/5 a few months back. I don't have much experience with airheads yet, but I'd be game to meet up and swap notes sometime.

(I'm in Oakland, BTW.)
im also in oakland- r75/6 got it about 2 months ago. and now have experience with replacing the transmission and clutch- as it came to me with a blown trannie and already removed.
if you guys want to meet up sometime I am also game. I work in sf and live in oakland, so either side is fine.

dilandau screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 12:19 AM
dilandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
KGER OP
n00b

Awesome info, looking forward to a tech day... and brats, whats not to like?

I think I'm gonna to take the bike to a mechanic here in the city and just a get a regular tune-up and service done this first time around to make sure I've got a good starting reference point. The guys at Recommended Service seem to come with high praise. Eventually I want to be working on it entirely myself, but I'd love to really get it humming (and safe) faster than I'll be able to work thru it right now.

dilandau and Thorazine-I'd be up to meet as well. My buddy here in the city 4 blocks away also just got a 75/7. I'm sure he'll be game too.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

yes, Dave at recommended is the best. if you are in the city then he is your man. PM me if you want me to take a look. I've had 2 airheads now so I sort of know whats up - . Im at USF on Turk & Masonic most days-

and oh yeah, post some pics man! can't have a new moto thread without eye candy

dilandau screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 12:04 PM
dilandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 949
Dave is great and a wealth of experience. He'll also tell it like it is

Doing a /5 and 2 /6 restorations down here in Redwood City so I have some good takeoffs if you need some parts.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Justus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
If you guys organize a meet up, definitely let me know. I'd love to come hang out and swap ideas.
Justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

I think we might meet briefly on thursday morning if you can make it- convenience being that I work only a few blocks from where he lives and ill ride in that day. give me a pm and maybe we can work out for that or another meet up.

not to plug outside websites, but

bayareavintageriders.com

I am jetboy on that.

is a good place to discuss and set up these types of things as its area specific and we don't have to bore a world wide audience on advrider.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
KGER OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilandau View Post
and oh yeah, post some pics man! can't have a new moto thread without eye candy
Here are some pics, don't mind the clutter in the background:

dilandau cruized by today and took a look, said she's running pretty well and might just need a clutch adjustment to help with the gearbox "peculiarities".

Also, here are the stats: 1977 R75/7, 13K on the odo (These have to be the only miles, not 113K, bc the original tires were still on the bike when I bought it), purchased three weeks ago in Folsom for $2500. dilandau said it's got a bub exhaust on it, sounds pretty deep and rich.

KGER screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 02:50 PM