ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie

Hi folks!

My name is Yohan and as stated in the title, I'm French!

My dream bike for the last 2 years has been the Triumph Tiger 800 XC and as a result of having to move home to help my mom, I finally got it! Best purchase ever! I couldn't have been happier with this bike! I have had it for a little over a month now and have 2k miles on it. The miles keep coming and she just keeps getting dirtier and dirtier

I'll be posting some of my adventures and endeavors on here for you all to enjoy! Before I really got into to motorcycles, I would read other folks' adventures would live vicariously through them, now I hope to have the same effect on others!

Feel free to enjoy the ride with me with comments, suggestions, questions, or whatever else you can think of!

To beer and motorcycle adventures... ...never mix them though!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

What I've got on her so far...

So here's what i go on Daisy so far! Hand down best purchases yet are the pelican top case and the bar risers... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Ok so the OEM fog lights are first. I really really like these especially since i commute, it make me much more visible even the day time! I can post some pictures of the difference between with and without the lights at night if anyone is interested. But definitely a great purchase.

Triumph crash bars. Nothing fancy but needed for the simple offroading i will do. I went on a small ride two weeks ago. Laid her down due discalculating the ditch depth. She landed on these, handlebars and topcase. No damage at all, but then again i was completely stopped.

Tops case and how i mounted it. Pelican case 1510. Absolutely love this thing! Submerged it with some rocks for 48 hours at the bottom of my pool and not a single leak. I mounted them with nuts i could easily remove in an event i would need to remove them... i would proud of myself for thinking of these!

The dash. Nothing too fancy. Have small ball mount that i got from my gps and last three bikes. I found an adapter plate which i super glued to a cheap iphone case that way if i needed just small navy or somewhere to place my phone to charge i could just clip it in.

This is the mount for the iphone. Super simple, cost me $5 and works extrmemly well. Super glued the piece to the case just to be sure. Works like a charm!

Powerlet to 12v cigarette lighter. Plugged a 12v to usb thingy and got the retractable iphone charger on ebay for i think $2. With that i can just plug it and leave the phone charging either on the mount, or even in my pocket! The cable is long enough and this way there is no mess of dangling wires.

Last but certainly not least, the Rox bar risers. These things are fantastic! I just tested them today on my way to work and these are fantastic! Makes a huge different!

That's all for now! Got a huge list but gotta wait. This is probably much less fancy than what you other fellas might have but i found stuff that are cheap and make my life easier. Next bug purchase though are side racks (probably twisted throttle) and Sea Horse 720s.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

First adventure with Daisy

So this was done back in September but better late than never!

i left my house Saturday morning thinking it i was doing an overnighter camping trip. First time for me. I was stoked for camping!

I knew it was going to rain but i checked different sites and all said it was going to rain around 3 or 4 in the afternoon and stop in the middle of night... only one was true.

I was about 50 miles East of Stockton along highway 4 when the rain started. At first it was just drizzles and drops here and there, no issue. Then it started to rain cats and dogs! I stopped for lunch in hopes of waiting out the rain... i checked the radar on my phone and got THIS...

To my surprise, it stopped raining. I got mback outside to get my gear on, and at this point i realize my gloves and jacket were literally dripping water! this is was no bueno. But i figured it was that chilly so i would be ok.. i could deal with cold. Eventually I got to 7200 ft elevation... and the rain came back full force. At this point the temperature had dropped to low 40s... and i was soaked from head to toe! Against my urge to ride, I decided ot get a hotel room in the first lodge i see. I ask if they have anything and they say yes starting at $75... but no electricity or heater... i look and her with my gear dripping and say " I need a heater lady" so the next price was $275 for a six person cabin!! I asked if there was anywhere else i could go and she directed me down the road, and off i went reeaally fast! The hotel clerk at the other lodge was very nice. I notice he had a little of an accent.... an accent I'm very familiar with, French. I asked him if he was from France, he said yes! At first he wasn't very enthused by my asking, but when I spoke to him in French, he quickly lightened up. We went on speaking about and where we currently lived and blah blah blah. So after some taking he said they had a room available for $135 with taxes. Now for a Lodge that ain't half bad! But for me, that s wayyyyyy to much. I asked if he had any cheaper or if there was a lodge close by that might have cheaper. He looked at me, in my literally stopping soaking wet gear and said, " let me see something." Typed some stuff on the computer and said he gave me the condo owner discount, coming to $50!!! That French connection helped I'm sure! :lol I asked him to book it! While he was typing up the stuff on the computer, I asked him if there was somewhere covered to Park my bike. He gave me his personally key to a locked garage for actual condo owners! I was shocked by his hospitality! This really made me realize that there are still good people or there!

Shortly after stepping into my room, I see huge flash outside (keep in mind its noon) and then a loud rumble.... LIGHTENING! That was awesome! I then started cleaning up my stuff and hanging up my gear to dry. I was able to squeeze a glass full of water from each sleeve of my jacket! After I loss feeding on my hands while riding, i figured it was time to quit... But I Gotta say, I didn't expect THAT much water!

After hanging up and don't all my Stuff, I decided to go downstairs. On my way down I noticed there was something heavier than train falling from the sky, it's hailing now! I thought that was also quite awesome! I went downstairs n, dips some reading for my classes and noticed Oahe the Window rider war something different falling from the sky, it's SNOWING!? The It's a good inch of snow on the ground now and I'm sitting here with 5 other bikes wondering how on earth we are going to get out of here tomorrow!!

We had another 20-30 folks come in because the pass was now closed due to snow. i am SO glad i stopped when i did... it could have been hell! So we all spent the night drinking and laughing with the other bikes, some folks i met from the UK and a whole bunch of others! What. A. Night!

The following day though, i got up around 8, everything was melting away... fast! I took my time to give the snow more time to melt and by the time i left at 10, the roads were almost completely dry! The scenery was fantastic and the ride was absolutely amazing! I was supposed to ride 4, to 89 to 135, back down to 120 and then home, but i went up 4 and came right back down.. i did that A because of time and B) i didnt really get the enjoy the ride there so i figured might as well try it again! All in all, it was a FANTASTIC adventure... i can say it was certainly that... an adventure lol it was just amazing!

here are the pictures...

Old 11-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

Lastly this was recent shots

This was near my house. Just a salt water reservoir right next to the Bay. Those of you in the area, the bridge in the back is the Dumbarton Bridge.

The next five shots were from a small ride in Monterey 2 weeks ago. We had tried to do the 17 mile drive but apparently they don't allow motorcycles in the area... bastards! We just did a small drive around the coast in ate in downtown Monterey instead.

These were taken near the Uvas park in the Santa Cruz hills. It was my first time ever off road and i did it on Daisy, weighing over 500lbs! Didn't drop her and I am real proud of myself! Video should be coming soon, i am loading it as we speak.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

More Toys

So i have added a few more things to Daisy the Tiger.

A little fun here and there for the pas couple weeks... (Couldn't do it all at once due to exams in school and work).

I ordered the Seahorse 720s, SW Motech Racks, BarkBuster Storm handguards and the fender extender... it all came in on the same day... it was chirstmas in November for me!

The rack were literally a piece of cake to install. No trouble at all. Only concern was how easy it was to take them off so i now need to get a lock that i didn't know was separate... Go figure...

I wasn't planing on using the seahorse luggage all the time since i commute but now that i had them on just today, i must say i really like the look and the freedom of having much more space than with just the top case. I think the look is fantastic!

The next up was the fender extender. Again, pretty easy install. I had to remove the front fender completely to simplify the mounting but the directions were well given and easy to follow. As you can see from the picture it does a good job of extending below the stock plate so it does its job! I did a some dirt on Saturday and the exhaust was in barely dirty.. no rock or anything else had kicked up.

Bark Busters were much more than i expected. I figured they would offer a fair amount of wind protection and i am surprise by how much it did block. I still need the heated gloves of course bc my hands are just always cold but we hit some fog and everything was a little wet from the fog except my gloves. The hand guards did a fantastic job of kicking the water over my gloves. And i didn't expect to like the look, but i actually have really grown fond of the look!

All in all, i haven't really tried them in intense situations at all but the seahorse cases look really good and well built, I am sure they could handle a spill or two. The fender extender did a really nice job on the dirt and gravel road on Saturday so i am really happy with that. The rack is easy to remove so i want to take the luggage off, i can do the rack and the luggage off at the same time in a matter of second. And the Bark Busters are just awesome. The look and feel of them are really neat! Overall, Very happy with it all!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
But you don't show how you mounted the cases to the frames.
In all these Tiger threads I haven't seen a decent post detailing how to mount those type of cases. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I currently use Givi panniers but like the idea of having the extra robustness of the Pelican/Seahorse type of case.
haha sorry! I just put regular bolts and nuts through them. I was going to make an easy on off system but 1) i had the bolts laying around so i didn't need to buy anything and 2) considering how easy it is to take the racks off, if i needed to take off the cases, i just unmount them completely.

Here's how it looks:

So first thing I did was i mounted the racks on and placed the case where i was happy with it, position wise. Then i pushed the case hard against the rack and placed around to make sure it didn't move.. like so

Sorry for the blurry picture... I used paint tape so it didn't leave some crappy residue on the cases or racks. Then i used a tool (don't know what it's called) just to mark the whole of the rack agains the case.

Then i removed the tape and rack and drilled two holes. I put the case on, mounted the two bolts and then starting with a tiny drill bit i drilled the two other wholes with the case still mounted. This insured having to redrill later bc i had missed

For the other side, to make it match the right one (i did left first) i took a piece of cardboard and cut it out to perfectly fit inside the case. I outlined the holes with a sharpie.

I then matched the holes on the cardboard with the right rack to make sure it worked and the orientation was correct, and it was!

Then i repeated the steps above to mount the right side.
Anda ta da!! it's done!

y0y02369 screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 11:20 PM
Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
KiLO
Adventure Cafe

Oddometer: 256
Would you mind updating your pic links? Lookin' good!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLO View Post
Would you mind updating your pic links? Lookin' good!
Oh yeah sorry. I actually deleted them on my devices so I will repost as soon as I can. Might be able to tonight.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

I was meeting up with a buddy of mine (soon to be a whole group of cool guys) in Metcalf, an OHV park in San Jose. I showed up the beast hoping one of the other guys would have brought theirs too, but he got the message too late so oh well. One of the guys lending me his Honda 230, that was the first time on a dirt bike for me! The overall feel of the bike felt super strange considering I went from a 500+ lbs beast to maybe a couple 100 lbs one. It was really nice though to be able to throw the weight around and have the bike really move in between my legs when turning and maneuvering. Got the hang of the dirt and back end slipping really quick. I started out really slow and eventually got to a comfort level where i felt good going faster. Never thought a dirt bike could be so much fun!

I did most of the day with the 230 but I also took the Tiger out too! I was really surprised how amazing she handled! I expected her to do well, but she did AMAZING! I obviously only went the more simple tracks but nonetheless the suspension and overall performance was amazing. Just goes to show again that i made a wise choice with this bike!

Anyway, a very short video is on the way!! I thought i had recorded a bunch more, but the battery died and i realized it way later... oh well!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

This was with the dirt bike!

And this was with Daisy!

Old 12-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
GasDepot
Stuck in a Cage

Oddometer: 195
Check out the WARPED x get together in the WEST sub-forum.
You should be able to get into trouble, there is all kind of riding.
A good way to meet some more inmates and see some CA, hwy 25 is the bomb.
GasDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

Ridin around the Santa Cruz hills

Took a ride around the Santa Cruz crest on Sunday with a friend who took his new r1200gs off road... for the first, for both him and the beast! It was definitely an awesome day!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

Highway 1 From SF to Mendicino

So with school starting and my gf and I not really having a break with just the two of us in while, we, well I, decided to pack the bike and go on a ride!

Initially, I was planning on going to Pismo being that the weather was going to be a little warmer more south, but then I thought to myself "I have never been to the northern side of the bay." So I went onto Google and searched for campgrounds in the North Bay which were close to the ocean. I found several and did my research on all of them. Most of them were close to the ocean but not close enough by my standards. Then I came across one called Anchor Bay Campground. It's about 50 miles south of Mendicino and literally right on the beach! From the reviews I read it seemed decent, so I looked at the campground map and found there were 4 camp site literally ON THE BEACH! So I called and got the 3rd of four campsites on the beach. I excepted a good amount going there but was blown away upon arrival (pictures to follow).

So the campsite was set, the wonderful girlfriend was ready to go wherever I had planned to go, and I had requested and been granted the Monday off from work so I was ready to roll!

This was 90% of the stuff we brought, including the girlfriend's stuff, my stuff, and the camping gear.

After hours of reading on how to pack a motorcycle, i packed all the clothes, towels, camping chairs, and toiletries in the Seahorse panniers and the tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, propane bottle, and motorcycle cover in a roll up, waterproof, duffle bag. The result was, to my surprise, pretty good and well organized.... except for the girlfriend's sleeping bag! She has a zero degree bag and since it's still pretty new, I wasn't able to compress it enough to fit in the roll up bag, so i strapped it outside in its own compression bag. I really didn't mind this set up because the important thing was that she was going to be warm while she slept.

So here is the bike packed the night before ready to go:

So Friday morning came along, I did my half day at work, picked up the girlfriend and hit the road! We took 101 all the way to SF, got stuck in stupid SF traffic, and then took the PCH all the way up to Anchor Bay. The way up was mostly in the dark but due to a lack of people, the ride was fantastic! With the fog lights on and headlights on high beam, the PCH was an absolute pleasure to ride on. We crossed ways with one deer at the beginning of the ride that was along the road just looking at us. So i slammed on the brakes and slowly rolled up to make sure that dumbass didn't bolt right in front of us. About half way up there, we had a little encounter with a Tesla driver that was having a little with us. We both passed a slow car and had our fun trying to keep up with each other. We were in no way racing or riding each other's asses, but we just tried to keep each other visible for fun. Of course, in the straight lines he caught up to us with ease, but as soon as we hit curves one after the other, I made sure to lose him. After 20 or so minutes of this, there was long straight line so he passed up and threw up a "hang loose" sign with his left hand and then he was gone... until more turns came The ride continued and eventually we made it to the campground at around 8, set up camp and quickly jumped into our sleeping bag because it was already in the low 40s there! After an long, chilly ride, the girlfriend was an amazing passenger. At times, I almost forgot she was even on the bike because she was doing such a good job of leaning perfectly with me and the bike.

The next morning we woke up to this view:

As the sun broke over the hill, we got warmed up real quick! As always, I got up about an hour before my Brittany (the girlfriend). I made my coffee, set up our chairs and just sat there, enjoying the view and a steamy hot cup of coffee.... aaahhh what a life! Within a couple minutes of settling down with my coffee and view, the gentlemen in the campsite next to us comes over to introduce himself. We talked about motorcycles and everything in between and he over to our site to admire Daisy. I don't blame him, she really is one gorgeous beast. He then suggested we go up to Mendicino because the town was gorgeous and the ride was even better! So i packed the bike and the girlfriend and off we went! Sadly I don't really have any pictures of the town itself because both us were so amazed by the town that we forgot to take pictures! The ride though, definitely WAS amazing! Although we didn't really get pictures of the town itself, we walked around a bit and got these pictures of around the area.. absolutely gorgeous scenery!

And here are some shots of on our way back

Upon returning to our campsite, our neighbors on the other side of us mentioned that there had been a motorcycle accident just a mile or so south of our campsite and that they were worried that it was us... they immediately mentioned that they would have to force themselves to drink the beer i had left out had we not returned We reassured them that we were perfectly fine and that that couldn't have been us since we went north, not south! As a reward for guarding our beer, I offered both of them and our other neighbor a beer and it led to us all talking for the majority of the night. We later lit one of the asian paper lantern things and watched it fly far far far far into the sky! It was the first time I had seen one! It was really cool! Eventually, everyone went to bed and as Brittany and I got into our sleeping bags, both us realized that such open hearted and kind people as our neighbors is so rare nowadays that we were both mesmerized by how amazing our neighbors were. It just goes to show that awesome people are still out there. It really made our day to meet these awesome people.

Sunday was much more laid back and pretty uneventful. We hung out at the campsite and just relaxed. Had a couple beers and enjoyed the view and good weather! Sadly both of our neighbors left Sunday so we said our goodbyes and one of them showed us the inside of their camper because i had told them that my parents were really interested in getting one. I must say, their set up was pretty sweet! They had a big ass Dodge diesel truck with 450 hp and around 400 ft/lbs of torque! What. A. Beast! The camper was really well setup and looked super comfy! The rest of the night was spent just hanging out with Brittany, spending some much needed time just the two of us. We sat around the campfire... very very close to the campfire because it was super cold and zoned out the sound of the waves crashing on the shore.

The next morning we got up relatively early (for her) to give us a full, relaxed day of riding. On our way home, we stopped quite a bit to take pictures and admire the beautiful scenery. Upon stopping at one of the many stops, a gentleman came started to approach me. At first I thought he was going to say something about me parking on the edge of the cliff where i was taking pictures but it turned out to be the exact opposite. He came up to admire the tiger. He mentioned that he didn't recognize the bike but adored the sound and look of it and it was very different from anything he had seen! We ended up talking to him, and later his wife, for about an hour. Again, Brittany and I were amazed and shocked by how kind hearted people can be. This is sad to say, but living in the bay area, we don't really have that of interaction with people anymore. People in the Bay are always in a rush and it's rare to see people so kind and pleasant. After the long talk, we exchanged information, and made plans to meet up for the motocross event at the O.Co this weekend. Unfortunately we couldn't make it anymore but we still plan to keep in contact and frankly, it was just a very wonderful couple and between them and the other people we met at the campground our weekend was just a fantastic experience. Not only that, but from this conversation I might convinced another rider to become part of the Tiger Family!

Anyway, enough said, here are some pictures from the ride home!

This was with the bike all packed, ready to hit the road:

and these are just pictures at the many stops we made...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z...o/DSC_0173.JPG

All in all, this will be the most memorable trip in my life for several reasons.
1) It was the first weekend trip I did on a bike
2) First time I spend so much time on the bike with the girlfriend
3) The road, scenery and amazing people we met along the way was a great reminder on why we love California
4) Last but not least, considering the temperatures dropped to 25F at night, we had to pack lightly since we were on a bike, she was way outside of her comfort zone and she was as ecstatic as I was about the trip... looks like i couldn't have found a better girl for me. She is truly an amazing girl.

Stay tuned for more adventures and stories! For as long as I am healthy enough, I will ride my heart out!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

Went for a little ride in the hills around my area... Saw some dirt, followed it, almost had to backtrack the 40 miles of turn and got close to running outta gas. Awesome ride though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #15
y0y02369 OP
Studly Adventurer

Puig Windshield Review

Per request, I'll give you my rundown of the Puig shield.

I went from the OEM shield and setup to the "Browneye" mod to the OEM shield. It consists of drilling two holes just below the bottom ones on the shield... making is slant more and giving you clean air instead of buffeted. This alone made a tremendous difference! It was a little bit noisier but the buffeting on the helmet went down quiet a bit as the air now hits my chest instead of bottom of my helmet. It was also good on the hotter days as it allowed a more ventilation.

Here's before the Browneye mod... meaning OEM setup.

And here is after the mod:

You can tell the shield is much more slanted, which is what helps with buffeting quite a bit.

Now onto the Puig shield. Received it Thursday, obviously installed it that night!

Saturday I road it to work which is about 40 miles away of freeway. Then again, today, rode it to the beach which is another 45 miles each way of straight freeway also! Here is what I have observed with the shield in relevance to its setting.

-At the lowest setting, the shield gives full wind to the face. For me, 6'2", the wind hits right at the eye level. I expect lots of head shaking and buffeting but non to very little buffeting. I got clean air at that level. I was great for the ride up where it was warmer and needed more ventilation to breathe a bit better.

-Anywhere between lowest and about 75% for me is just not good. the wind hits at a weird place on the helmet and just gives me a head shake... could just be the helmet though.

-at about 75%, i get air at the top vents of my helmet with lithe buffeting. this is great for when i wanted a little air in the helmet no too much on the shield, if i wanted to ride with shield open (which i will get into later). At this setting, i get a good amount of wind (no buffeting.. just clean wind) up to about 50mph, then the wind hit just the upper part of the helmet, where i want it to. At speeds above that, there is little/no buffeting on the helmet.

-At the highest setting, below 50, its the same as at 75% but about 50mph, the wind progressively gets moved to just above the helmet. I played around to see where the wind hit the helmet and it's at the very top of it. At first there was some head shake and little buffeting, but then i removed my go pro mount that's on the top, and the buffeting almost seized to exist! There were a couple times today i was going 80 and didn't even realize since the shield did such a fantastic job! This setting completely cut the wind to my helmet.. which resulted in a little fogging. lol

At the two higher settings, the wind was either there if i wanted it or not if i didn't. I felt a little buffeting at times, but maybe 5% of the OEM of setup., so that's a huge relief! At the lower speeds, there was a good amount of air floating around behind the shield, which meant i got it in the helmet. It was good i wanted to open the visor and get some air, but if i didn't i could just close the visor and didn't feel it. However, whether i was going 10 mph or 85 mph.. I could ride with the visor down or up and had no issues! I wear contacts and they didn't bother me or feel dry after riding with the visor open for 45 mins at 70+mph!

So so sum it up, I love the Puig shield. Very pleased with the price and seller as well as the shield itself! I can't compare to the Madstad as i have never tried it, but it is a MASSIVE upgrade to the OEM shield at half the price of the Madstad; might i add, it looks much MUCH better than the madstad too.

My shield was sent with an extra shield... if you interested in buying a shield pm me. Please do not blow up this thread with questions as to not annoy other and keep this thread clean. Just know it's only the shield. You will need to buy the mounting equipment yourself from the website.

Hope this helped! If you have questions about the review feel free to ask on here so others can enjoy the Q&A as well.

Highest setting

Lowest setting