Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #1606
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,050
If it's for commuting, the new SDR may not be the right bike, but if one wants the epidomy of today's ultimate naked motorcycle, the 1290R has to be IT. Aprilia, KTM, Ducati and MV, may not be practical, but instill the senses more than any motorcycle currently built... And in our hearts, that's what it's all about, affordable or not... tomp
Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #1607
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by versysrider View Post
I believe msrp on the '08 SD was $13K. The current '13 SMT is listed @ $14K, with the same 990 engine as in the '08 SD. Do you really think your gonna pick up a 2014 1290 SD for $15K?

When monkey's fly.

But yes, it's the most BadAss bike on the planet, and I'd probably kill myself on it.

That ain't what I said. I said it'd be hard to say no to at that price. They've said folks will be surprised at their aggressive pricing and that'd be my magic "Do it" number. I think it'll be well north of that. Very cool and I love Katooms, but $15K is about my limit for "reasonable" these days, for anything in motorcycling. I'm trying to stay well away from even that. I've had my fun w/the cool, high dollar stuff.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #1608
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
If it's for commuting, the new SDR may not be the right bike, but if one wants the epidomy of today's ultimate naked motorcycle, the 1290R has to be IT. Aprilia, KTM, Ducati and MV, may not be practical, but instill the senses more than any motorcycle currently built... And in our hearts, that's what it's all about, affordable or not... tomp

Were I only going to have one bike, the SD would make much more sense for commuting and everything. Alas, I don't think I can make that commitment.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #1609
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Were I only going to have one bike, the SD would make much more sense for commuting and everything. Alas, I don't think I can make that commitment.
I have a Harley, a KLR650 and an R150RT. I''m considering trading them all for the new SDR. Emotions are,a bitch... tp
Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #1610
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
I have a Harley, a KLR650 and an R150RT. I''m considering trading them all for the new SDR. Emotions are,a bitch... tp
Brother, fucking do it. We aren't here for all that long. Do you want to be in your golden years, sitting around and recalling the days when you could ride, and wondering what it would have been like to ride the 1290, or do you want to be remembering the lunacy, the passion, and all the times that that crazy ass bike made your heart skip a beat.

Emotions aren't a bitch. Passion is an emotion, and it is the elixir that makes our lives memorable. Drink it up, my friend.

Once you have that 1290 howling down the road with one tire up in the air, you wont give two shits about a KLR.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #1611
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, I have several bikes, as well (Most of which are currently up for sale.). Had a bunch of 'em. The SDR certainly ticks all the boxes, except for ease of ownership, overall economy, and (maybe) reliability. Pretty big exceptions, really. Nevertheless, I say again, IF it's around $15K it's probably worth the leap to me. Something about having the best. Yeh, that emotion/passion thing. Crap!

Alas, the FZ is just way...easier. And probably smarter. Probably...
Old 11-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #1612
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Brother, fucking do it. We aren't here for all that long. Do you want to be in your golden years, sitting around and recalling the days when you could ride, and wondering what it would have been like to ride the 1290, or do you want to be remembering the lunacy, the passion, and all the times that that crazy ass bike made your heart skip a beat.

Emotions aren't a bitch. Passion is an emotion, and it is the elixir that makes our lives memorable. Drink it up, my friend.

Once you have that 1290 howling down the road with one tire up in the air, you wont give two shits about a KLR.

You sound like a salesman.

I'd rather ride a bike that's paid for, than falling for that head-game of "you only live once". There will always be a bigger, better, newer, faster, toy tomorrow. So, even if you buy the "best" today you'll be wishing for something better before long.

I'd rather retire younger & ride more.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #1613
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
. I've had my fun w/the cool, high dollar stuff.
me too, i had a triumph 1050 speed 3 and while it was fast it started to suck at anything over 70 mph. I have had several ktm twins and while i liked them they were never as good as that triple motor so it will take a whole lot for me to buy a new bike now. I'm thinking the yamaha triple in a bike w/ a 19" front wheel and some wind protection would do the trick
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #1614
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
me too, i had a triumph 1050 speed 3 and while it was fast it started to suck at anything over 70 mph. I have had several ktm twins and while i liked them they were never as good as that triple motor so it will take a whole lot for me to buy a new bike now. I'm thinking the yamaha triple in a bike w/ a 19" front wheel and some wind protection would do the trick
Gotta' find what you like. I'm a 17" wheel guy. One reason I never could get into the great V-stroms for everyday, do-it-all bikes. That's why there are different ones out there. All good.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #1615
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post

I'd rather ride a bike that's paid for, than falling for that head-game of "you only live once". There will always be a bigger, better, newer, faster, toy tomorrow. So, even if you buy the "best" today you'll be wishing for something better before long.

Is that how one ends up having owned dozens and dozens (and dozens and dozens...) of bikes? Who'd have thunk it? You mean folks actually make up their own minds and make their own choices in life? Yeow!

Easy w/the judgement deal. I wouldn't trade my biking fun for anything. And I'm still set to retire at 50. Very fortunate and thankful, for sure. Folks are responsible for themselves and we're all in different situations. Freedom, responsibility, and the like.

Press on.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #1616
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Speaking of riding more, I'm outta' here. I hear the mountains calling.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #1617
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,878
Quote:
I hear the mountains calling.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #1618
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post

UNTIL you have to wrench on it or pay the shop to. I LOVED my GIXXERS but, I always felt a hollow spot while out ridding country roads & I passed by an ATV or Jeep trail.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #1619
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:

What if (God forbid) you never make it to retirement? I've seen it happen all to often.
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #1620
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
What if (God forbid) you never make it to retirement? I've seen it happen all to often.

Does one of you have a halo and the other a pitchfork? 'Cause that's how I'm imagining this conversation.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote