Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #46
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I just read the first review on Tripadvisor for the Hotel Frances-it's a good primer on what things bother some people! E.g., complaining about how few elect. outlets in a hotel built in 1610?
Funny too that hotel has same number of excellent's reviews as it does terrible's!
Saltillo is not on my list of "best places to hang out in Mexico- but that road, I need to do that one!

I agree about Saltillo....I go through there a lot going to the states....I also worked there a couple of years....but there are more interesting places than Saltillo.....
If you are going to ride 20 across the mountains, I would suggest that you plan to spend the night at Horse Tail Falls, nice place also visit the falls.....
Hotel Resort

The falls

If you head south after crossing 20 I would NOT go through Saltillo....I would take 20 to 57D south to 57 and cut over to 54....from 57d to 54 is also a fun ride.

Going on south to Guadalajara......I like 23 the best.....I rode part of that today....54 is also nice.....either one is MUCH MUCH better than going through Aguascalientes....

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #47
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I just read the first review on Tripadvisor for the Hotel Frances-it's a good primer on what things bother some people! E.g., complaining about how few elect. outlets in a hotel built in 1610?
Funny too that hotel has same number of excellent's reviews as it does terrible's!
Saltillo is not on my list of "best places to hang out in Mexico- but that road, I need to do that one!

Interesting what some people can complain about.....
To put 1610 into perspective....if my history is correct the US history started with James Town and Plymouth Rock....those happened around 1607 and 1612....I am sure the settlers of James Town would have not complained a bit if they would of had a hotel like the Hotel Frances to stay in when the landed.....

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #48
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,709
the Hotel Diamante http://www.hoteldiamantesayulita.com.mx/ is a key affordable hotel in Sayulita as it's a tourist town and pricey. Andres will let you pull your bike up into the courtyard.
another ADV member can be thanked for spearheading him paving the ramp and entrance into. there are also a few hostels in town http://www.sayulitalife.com/ plus El Cameron campground on the beach but secure your stuff...don't miss their beach bar! trailer park and bungalows is another option http://www.pacificbungalow.com/index2.html fun & crazy german dude (Teese) owns it.

don't miss Chacala north of Sayulita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this site shows some mex highlights
http://www.thedarienplan.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Just north of Puerto Vallarta is Sayulita. When you need a diversion you just have to go there and check it out, grab a place to stay and visit for a few days. There are several surf schools in Sayulita and since you don't surf, your job is to grab a table at the coffee shop and watch the surf school girls in their bikinis walking to their beach instruction with their boards each morning at 0830.

Punta de Mita is right there as well, a few miles southwest of Sayulita and the same northwest of Puerto Vallarta. Lots of Hollywood camera crews go there for a reason, it's beautiful.

Talpa de Allende is a nice mountain town inland via a great road when you want to go inland. It and Mascota are on the way to Guadalajara and Lake Chapala/Ajijic etc. and going that direction for a few days can be a nice change of pace if you're going to be in the area for as you say up to three months. Inmate Kiko posts here sometimes, he had a house in Ajijic but sold it and now is living in his other place in Jocotepec. You can PM him if your going to ride to Chapala and he'll show you around.

You won't need any immunizations unless your travel plans take you through Detroit.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 10:26 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #49
The Chief (tm) OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
NLMX Border Crossing Hours

Gang,

Weigh in on something else here for me please. AFAICT (from here: http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mex...nuevo_mapa.htm), the customs hours at the Nuevo Laredo crossing are 8 AM - midnight M-F, 8 AM - 4 PM on Saturday, closed Sunday.

Under my current USA-side itinerary, I'm going to be 450 miles away from there on Friday, the night before. As such, I think I would have to do a fairly crazy (i.e., 4 AM) start to my day on Saturday, in order to (hopefully) get there by 2-ish and start/finish the process. If I got there in time, I'm sure I'd drop anchor in NL for that night...but who wants to wake up at 3 AM after a Friday night pig roast in Louisiana?

I could try to change my itinerary and get to NL *Friday* afternoon, do the paperwork, stay the night, and zoom off first thing Saturday morning.

Or...if Friday afternoon/evening at the offices is known to be a royal pain in the neck, couldn't I technically bypass them that evening, grab a hotel (still being well within the border zone), do all the paperwork first thing Saturday morning, then head out of town?

If so on that last one, which option might be best?

1) cross and do papers on Saturday afternoon;
2) cross and do papers on Friday afternoon/evening;
3) cross w/o papers on Friday and do 'em Saturday morning.

For those keeping score at home: I have Sjoerd's book, I have MX bike insurance (sadly, no collision/theft/comp 'cuz the thing is a '94), and I have medical/evac coverage. I wouldn't want to say "there's no stopping us now", but it's sure starting to look like that. Thanks as always!
www.followthechief.com
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #50
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,367
Don't sweat this TVIP rigamarole; as long as you have your docs in order it will go smoothly. Saludos, Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #51
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,910
Any of the options will work. Its just up to you to figure out how comfortable you are about the timing. Personally I don't like to rush through stuff.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #52
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
...but who wants to wake up at 3 AM after a Friday night pig roast in Louisiana?
The pig?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #53
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,789
skip the LA pig roast , you can eat pigs anywhere ya go in Mexico... Enjoy the trip & start it-"not in a rush"!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #54
The Chief (tm) OP
Adventurer

The paperwork should go smoothly enough -- it ain't too complicated, after all -- but I agree that rushing around to get things done before windows close is what leads to mistakes, or losing stuff, or not noticing VIN # errors or that they stamped a 30-day pass instead of 180...

I found that several folks on another non-bike forum (MexConnect) seem to believe that the various windows are all open 24/7...and now I notice that my link to the MX customs page is dated from *2010*. Perhaps the hours are longer now, which addresses some of the need to "rush". I've shot a note to the aduana people, and hope to learn that everything is open longer on Saturday, even if still not at all on Sunday.

(BTW pig roast in Louisiana = something going on at the humble abode of one of the good people offering ADV Tent Space, with whom I have conferred. And my point was, if you're at a pig roast in Louisiana on a Friday night, do you *really* want to have to wake up at 3 AM the next morning to ride 450+ miles to the MX border? I think not. But if the offices are closed past 4 PM on Saturday and all day Sunday, then it would be a bummer to miss out on a whole travel day if you missed Saturday and then had to wait until Monday to shoot over. Hence the angst...)
www.followthechief.com
Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #55
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

You can always change your entry point to find better hours.. personally I'd skip the pig or go to bed at a reasonable hour and get an early start. Mexico is not about rushing.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #56
The Chief (tm) OP
Adventurer

Turns out Banjercito at the border is open 24/7; waiting to hear from Aduana. If they both are (or Aduana at least has evening hours) then that simplifies things quite a bit. I can get there when I get there, overnight in NL, and ease out at the proper, relaxed pace.
www.followthechief.com
Old 11-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #57
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374
The aduana at Nuevo Laredo has teamed up with Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

Give them a call and they'll come pick you up
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #58
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Turns out Banjercito at the border is open 24/7; waiting to hear from Aduana. If they both are (or Aduana at least has evening hours) then that simplifies things quite a bit. I can get there when I get there, overnight in NL, and ease out at the proper, relaxed pace.
I would bet that if the banjercito is open 24/7, the aduana is too.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #59
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Monday, November 18th is a national holiday. Keep that in mind.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #60
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
It's much more fun in the mountains. Just keep an eye on the weather in the winter.

Same goes for here.

As for the gringos, it's like that funny old Groucho Marx line about never joining a club that would ever accept me as a member!