ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #196
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nuke View Post
I'm going to give this digitizer repair a try also. I have one other problem though, the rubber cover over my power on/off button came off while on a ride. Any replacements out there?

None that I've ever seen. There was a new case on Ebay from Russia for $129 tho.

I sold my old dead 450 Garmin doesn't support for parts. It had great buttons. You could send the whole thing to Garmin for overhaul since you have 2 issues. Or just seal up the button somehow. I've heard pencil rubbers work.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #197
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 47
fixing zumo 550 lcd + touch screen, power button

hi!

repaired my 550 today, lcd+touch.

from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400335337985...84.m1439.l2649

(mingxing200808)

came home in a week ("8 days a week..." ), great service.
(11/18/13 - 11/26/13)

easy job, and works now great.
thanks for advice.

---
part 2:

* I noticed that 550 front cover is not so robust it should, 2 plastic studs for holding the screen frame screws were cut off;
I used 2-component-clue to fix them back.
if they fail again later, next step will be using screws through the cover with some silicon stuff to keep water outside.

* power button rubber was partly torn broken, big hole in side, nearly half way off - to let water in;
I clued tube-patch over it with rubber-clue. nice, and easy, button presses ok, with black and orange ktm color...

L

Loui€ screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 05:14 AM Reason: more info, fixing cover
Loui€ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #198
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nuke View Post
....one other problem though, the rubber cover over my power on/off button came off while on a ride. Any replacements out there?
well, look up, post #197

if you lost the whole button, then put some rubber-stud there to reach the power button on the bord.

L
Old 03-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #199
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,077
Ordered two screens for 60.00 and replaced a screen today in ten minutes. Works awesome!!! Once again thanks ADVRIDER!!!!
1Bonehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #200
Reaver
Outta Here

Just wanted to pass on a few tips that took me hours to figure out.

A Zumo 450 was given to me because it "crapped out" I was told. The digitizer acted like it needed replacement so I attempted it but cracked the LCD. Ordered a new one from Goodsupply0889 as usual. The box arrived looking like an accordion. Great.

Installed it and just could not get the digitizer to function correctly. On the warning screen I couldn't press "agree" for the life of me and had to wait fot it to time out. Still wonky function and it WOULD NOT go into the calibration screen on startup because it didn't recognize the lower rh touch with the power button. Flipped the gasket, tried a few times but no change. I thought the digitizer got damaged in transit.

So I tried to update the software but Garmin Express said it was up to date. Went to Garmin WebUpdater and RE-INSTALLED the software. That worked wonders and allowed me to reach the calibration screen and after that excercise- perfect!

I'm thinking a software re-install may have fixed the problem originally but hey, it's got a new LCD scren and digitizer now.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #201
Jbsbiker
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Puke Great Fix

Thanks for the instructions and great photos. No problem with the fix. I ordered my digitizer on Amazon and got it in 2 days. It was worth the 10 extra bucks to me.

Ship From USA -- Garmin zumo 450 500 touch screen digitizer replacement demension 79*64mm
by Garmin
Be the first to review this item
Price: $27.98
Note: Free shipping when purchased from topscreen2012. Not eligible for Amazon Prime.
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by topscreen2012.
Jbsbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #202
ebi
...Hellebauer---who?

Oddometer: 17
Different sizes for digitizer and LCD

There are different sizes for the zumo 550.

Here a link to yet another (China) supplier which lists the different sizes:
http://www.keepingtouch.com/index.ph...yword=zumo+550

https://vimeo.com/hellebauer/videos
ebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #203
NSrider
Newfie

Oddometer: 43
You need the larger one for the 450/550.
NSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #204
TxRooster
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Eh? Zumo touch screen and digitizer replacement Won't load up

I replaced the screen & digitizer on my Zumo 550 last night. The unit had been sitting for almost 2 yrs after determining the digitizer was bad... then I was surprised with a 'domestic realignment' & set the project aside. After the replacement, the screen lights up but shows no images, not even when attempting the calibration mode or resetting the power/+ buttons at the same time. Connecting to me computer, I can access the Zumo internal files/programs. Is there some way for me to drie nd image to the screen or boot the unit by accessing the files?
TxRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #205
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRooster View Post
I replaced the screen & digitizer on my Zumo 550 last night. The unit had been sitting for almost 2 yrs after determining the digitizer was bad... then I was surprised with a 'domestic realignment' & set the project aside. After the replacement, the screen lights up but shows no images, not even when attempting the calibration mode or resetting the power/+ buttons at the same time. Connecting to me computer, I can access the Zumo internal files/programs. Is there some way for me to drie nd image to the screen or boot the unit by accessing the files?
I just replaced mine tonight. I would suggest disassembling the unit and unsnapping the two connectors and carefully reposition both ribbon cables and re-latch each connector. Then, before you close the case, power up the unit to see what it is doing.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #206
TxRooster
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
I just replaced mine tonight. I would suggest disassembling the unit and unsnapping the two connectors and carefully reposition both ribbon cables and re-latch each connector. Then, before you close the case, power up the unit to see what it is doing.
Rechecked & reinserted the ribbon cable connects but received no change.... sent an email to Garmin support to see if they have anything constructive to add.
TxRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #207
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
I had to replace my Zumo 450 screen and both of the replacements I ordered while they worked, were much dimmer than the original screen. I verified that the brightness was at 100%, it's almost as if there isn't enough voltage getting to the screen. At night and in the shade it looks fine, but riding in bright daylight the screen is very hard to read. I ordered another screen/digitizer unit from another vendor, I'm hoping that fixes the issue.

Anybody else ever notice this problem when they replaced the entire screen?

Wayne
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #208
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
I had to replace my Zumo 450 screen and both of the replacements I ordered while they worked, were much dimmer than the original screen. I verified that the brightness was at 100%, it's almost as if there isn't enough voltage getting to the screen. At night and in the shade it looks fine, but riding in bright daylight the screen is very hard to read. I ordered another screen/digitizer unit from another vendor, I'm hoping that fixes the issue.

Anybody else ever notice this problem when they replaced the entire screen?

Wayne
My 550 replacement screen doesn't seem as bright. However, the polarizing filter over the old screen was badly scratched and I didn't re-install it. I'm looking for a phone polarizing screen to put on to see if that helps.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #209
RegB
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Lost a small part.

I replaced the whole screen and touch digitizer, figured I might as well while I had it all apart, about $30.

That little brown tab that FrankS pointed out - it popped out and "flew away"
REALLY I have combed the house for it.
Anyone know where I can get that tab ?
Garmin won't help me.

Is there a workaround (botch) ?
RegB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #210
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegB View Post
I replaced the whole screen and touch digitizer, figured I might as well while I had it all apart, about $30.

That little brown tab that FrankS pointed out - it popped out and "flew away"
REALLY I have combed the house for it.
Anyone know where I can get that tab ?
Garmin won't help me.

Is there a workaround (botch) ?

First off n00b with one post.....where in the world are you? It helps us help you.

I have a baggy of Zumo parts but you're likely far away. You mean the smallest tab for the digitizer? The LCD one is much bigger.