User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #3721
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,583
Be careful out there.

I picked up a new acetelyne tank yesterday. After hooking up, I checked for leaks at all the fittings. All was well, except..... After I shut of the tank valve, I watched the gage pressure slowly drop. Looks like a regulator diaphragm went out. This would have resulted in a slow leak any time the main valve was open. A three car garage full of acetelyne would make a helluva explosion.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #3722
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,568
I posted a few pictures from work a while ago and got a pm about posting more. These are from the last week, changing out worn sections of superheat tubes in a powerplant boiler. The other person is my welding partner. These are all 2 man welds, tig root and 9018 out. The sides of the root one guy will run the TIG torch while the other runs the filler wire. When sticking a horizontal weld it's one continuous weld, there are 2 stingers on a Y running off the same machine. Coming around the sides we steal each other's arc and keep going to eliminate restarts, and lower the chance of porosity. 100% X-ray, and they're not happy when you get a bad shot.

I'll take some more pictures tonight, I thought I had more on here.

Overhead tig:

Horizontal rooted and awaiting stick:

Finishing up a root:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #3723
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,909
Thanks for taking the time to show others.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #3724
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I posted a few pictures from work a while ago and got a pm about posting more. These are from the last week, changing out worn sections of superheat tubes in a powerplant boiler. The other person is my welding partner. These are all 2 man welds, tig root and 9018 out. The sides of the root one guy will run the TIG torch while the other runs the filler wire. When sticking a horizontal weld it's one continuous weld, there are 2 stingers on a Y running off the same machine. Coming around the sides we steal each other's arc and keep going to eliminate restarts, and lower the chance of porosity. 100% X-ray, and they're not happy when you get a bad shot.

Impressive. You're a magician.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #3725
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

Impressive. You're a magician.
It's easy after the first few. When I started doing it though I didn't believe it was even possible. Here's a few more, I want to take more tonight if you guys don't mind. Try to get the full idea at least of how we do it.

You can kind of see the opening in my root here. On this one I fed him the filler wire through that opening for the bottom section

It's a little tight. There's wooden wedges holding that gap at the bottom. Once it's done we move them to the other side, then for stick just try to find a middle ground.

The last 2 were horizontal, this is a quick shot of the top weld. I meant to be farther back for this shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #3726
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Be careful out there.

I picked up a new acetelyne tank yesterday. After hooking up, I checked for leaks at all the fittings. All was well, except..... After I shut of the tank valve, I watched the gage pressure slowly drop. Looks like a regulator diaphragm went out. This would have resulted in a slow leak any time the main valve was open. A three car garage full of acetelyne would make a helluva explosion.
Regulators don't typically fail the way you describe. I expect the hose has a leak at a fitting or the torch leaks but the regulator back has a vent that can be tested. Some soapy water makes a good leak detector solution. If you aren't familiar or have not recently read-up on acetylene-oxygen safety, here is a good link: http://www.esabna.com/euweb/oxy_handbook/589oxy1_1.htm
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #3727
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
Regulators don't typically fail the way you describe. I expect the hose has a leak at a fitting or the torch leaks but the regulator back has a vent that can be tested. Some soapy water makes a good leak detector solution. If you aren't familiar or have not recently read-up on acetylene-oxygen safety, here is a good link: http://www.esabna.com/euweb/oxy_handbook/589oxy1_1.htm
The hose connection wasn't leaking. I always test the hell out of everything with soapy water after changing a tank. It was leaking out the vent holes around the regulator knob. When I couldn't get a reading with soapy water on the fittings, I turned off the main valve, let most of the pressure bleed off, then explored with a lighter. I got some small flames out of the vent holes. Before anyone freaks out and tells me how the tank could have exploded, consider that the main valve was shut off & any O2 had been purged out of the hose. Still, I had an extinguisher handy. Better to find the source of the leak in a relatively safe manner than to risk having my entire house explode.

I'm told that if you forget to back off the regulator and turn on the main valve, the sudden surge can damage the diaphragm. This particular regulator was a Taiwanese Victor knock off that was 25 years old. The O2 companion failed in a similar manner 10 years ago.

Back in welding school, our instructor had the bright idea to have a timed competition in swapping tanks. You had to remove the old tanks, put new ones in place, and light a torch. One torch lighting ignited a small leak from a acetylene regulator. While the students leapt out of their seats and started for the door, the instructor calmly leaned over & blew out the flame.

HellSickle screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 09:18 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #3728
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Welp, second career time. As soon as my paperwork gets done, I start with Fundamentals of Welding on Jan 7th. I've had informal welder training (learned to MIG in a buddy's garage, took some voc classes in Missouri), but now I'm going as far as I can, gonna collect as many certs as I can get.
Quote:
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #3729
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,743
Good luck.
I hope you are young and agile.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #3730
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
Good luck.
I hope you are young and agile.
Not young (41) but agile.
Quote:
Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #3731
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,743
Quote:
Not young (41) but agile.
Eyes still really good?

Learn how to put a bead in w/tig and walk the cup.

Get good with that tig torch, bead, fill, and cap.

anybody can run a stick.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke

fxstbiluigi screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 09:54 PM
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #3732
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
Eyes still really good?

Learn how to put a bead in w/tig and walk the cup.

Get good with that tig torch, bead, fill, and cap.

anybody can run a stick.
Contact lenses. 2 years ago, I could lay a bead in steel & aluminum with a tig. Haven't practiced since, & never learned to walk the cup. In the program I'm in, they want you to get advanced certs in two of the three disciplines. Tig will def. be one. The other will be whatever has higher paying jobs.
Quote:
Old 11-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #3733
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Contact lenses. 2 years ago, I could lay a bead in steel & aluminum with a tig. Haven't practiced since, & never learned to walk the cup. In the program I'm in, they want you to get advanced certs in two of the three disciplines. Tig will def. be one. The other will be whatever has higher paying jobs.
don't let them fool you with those "certs" and starting salary BS. I own a welding shop. we send people away every day who have "all the certs" who cant even pass our basic weld test. lots of people go to tech school with the best of intentions and I feel the school's rob them blind. we have 50 guys on the floor and I would say 1/8 of them came from the local welding schools. the rest were self taught or went to school so long ago that nothing they learned applies anyway.

to a shop welder "certs" mean nothing. I explain it every day. you have to qualify to our process from ASME before you can weld on anything in our shop, same as any other shop. just because you have a certificate that says you can weld to ASME section 9 specs doesn't me you can weld on a pressure vessel in our shop, for that you have to pass our weld procedure tests that have been approved by ASME. then you get your stamp and all the paper work that goes with it.

sorry to soap box but the whole trade school thing has me up in arms lately as we really need people and we cant find them. I could hire 10 guys right now but the quality is just not there. we get better kids right out of the tech high school then the almost 30G post secondary school.

and as for pay, when they tell you that you can make a 100G a year what they forget to tell you is to make that you have to 1-know what your doing 2-be willing to work outside in less than ideal conditions 3-be away from home a lot 4-buy a $50,000 truck 5-buy a $10,000 welder and its accessories 6-buy at least a million dollars in liability insurance.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #3734
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,731
I agree on just having random certs. Most are good for on a particular machine and going to another shop means you would have to re-cert. No point in getting certs for stuff you aren't going to do as they expire and you've just wasted your time and money.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #3735
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

By all means, soapbox away. Just bear in mind, like I said, I'm 41. This is not my first go-round at the rodeo. I have a better idea than some kid what I'm getting into, despite my inexperience in this particular field.

Even despite your warnings about having the knowledge despite the certs, nobody will even look at you unless you have the certifications. I read job descriptions well enough to have gotten the idea that you will have to prove your paper.

As for pay, I know there's lots of jobs out there, with a variety of requirements and a variety of pay grades. And though my hopes are high, my expectations aren't. But my girlfriend has the type of career that's very specialized - she has to go where there's work. And I have to land with my feet on the ground ready to work.

If you really are having trouble finding welders, try Missouri (where I originally trained). They have a lot of training programs producing good welders who don't have jobs.
Quote: