Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
flrider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
There is another possibility - in Italy is possible for a foreign tourist to buy a bike (or car) and plate it with an "EE" license
that its valid for a year. The vantage is that you will not pay the V.A.T. thats 21%
I could check for dealers that do this kind of business.
Your offer of help is much appreciated. It seems that buying in Ireland is a lot simpler and no language barrier is a great bonus.
I have my heart set on an Africa Twin so I'm playing the waiting game till the right one pops up.
flrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
drswift
DRSWIFT

Oddometer: 75
I looked into Stephan Knoph, and it seems like a reasonable deal if your are going for a few months. He ships out of L.A. as well as Vancouver. He also has bikes listed for sale on his site.
http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/M...Transport.html

I'm still trying to figure how to get insurance for a U.S. registered bike.

'07 R1200RT
drswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Sfcootz
Banned

Oddometer: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrider View Post
Long time lurker here on ADV.
I'm planning a 2 -3 month trip in Europe in the spring/summer of 2014.
Hoping to get in the UK, Scotland, the Alps and ride all the way to the Black Sea.
Any leads on rental companies that do long term rentals at reasonable rates? So far I'm getting quotes of $130/day which seems a little high for 2 months. Travel restrictions are also an issue.
Buying is an option but, insurance seems impossible to get unless your a resident.
I paid 45 Euro a day for my wee strom through CIMT in Italy. However, I paid mileage, er, kilometerage on it, too. They were the cheapest I found but I was only looking in Italy.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
Sfcootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #19
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by drswift View Post
I looked into Stephan Knoph, and it seems like a reasonable deal if your are going for a few months.

[snip]

I'm still trying to figure how to get insurance for a U.S. registered bike.
"Green Card" - RTWDoug has a source for about 60 Euro/month that I used in July. If you go through ADAC or similar it's about 105 Euro/month (granted, the liability limits are low with the Romanian insurance).

I had a bike shipped/stored with Stefan for 4 years. I sold it when I left in July to a USAF SSgt. I want to get a more dirt-oriented bike and my old GSX100G was not worth the shipping costs to bring it home.

I kept minimum US insurance on it to keep my US registration in effect (a requirement in VA - no insurance, no registration) and bought Green Card for the times I was riding it.

US plates on a bike in Europe are a great conversation starter
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #20
Donmanolo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
There is another possibility - in Italy is possible for a foreign tourist to buy a bike (or car) and plate it with an "EE" license
that its valid for a year. The vantage is that you will not pay the V.A.T. thats 21%
I could check for dealers that do this kind of business.
Well yes, but the drawback to that is that you can only get export plates for a brand new bike, otherwise buying as a foreigner is a major headache down here without a resident permit.

Donmanolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
drswift
DRSWIFT

Thanks for the insurance info. As far as buying something there, the consensus seems to be that you need a local "front" person to buy a bike there. Most of what seems to be selling in Ireland are the small dual sports. The used bikes from the tour operators seem to be a great deal, but you can't bring them back to the States (thanks to the EPA requirements).

I'm planning on doing 3 months of 2-up touring and the larger bikes on the Euro sales websites seem way more than a US bike probably because of the exchange rates. So far, shipping seems like the best way to go unless I find a deal on a touring bike from a soldier who doesn't want to ship it home at the end of their tour.

'07 R1200RT
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Prior to buying my FJR and Shipping it to Germany, I was shoping in Europe as well.

It seemed to me I got more bike for the dollar (exchange rates included) with purchasing the bike here even when you included my one way shipping.

I was just talking with the buddy that is going with me next year (renting).

when you consider rental rates, especially if your going for a multi week trip and even more so with trips in consecutive years I thought the purchase and ship made sense.

FJR 5000.00
Green Card Insurance : varies depending on where you get it and how long your trip is
Storage: varies based on location
Shipping 1200.00

Knowing your bike vs a rental

doing 2-3 months I would buy and ship it, renting that's probably more than you could buy for and then just abandon it or sell it for parts to a shop
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #23
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Oh Dave, Check Knopftours...he has US bikes for sale pretty regular, from guys not wanting to ship home
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #24
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
Hey guys.
I operate "motofeirme" in Ireland.
For anyone considering a multi week trip to Europe, you really should look at the option of buying and selling.
We handled 47 bikes so far this year here at motofeirme and have had riders explore the EU, Scandinavia, Russia, Eastern Europe, North Africa and some even enjoyed Ireland so much, they never left. 2 riders are on their way to South Africa as we speak on Irish bikes and I have 2 more riders due back in the next few weeks.
I am already picking up bikes for next season.
We traded one bike 3 times.
We have traded many bikes twice with the same bike doing the same trip with a different rider on board.
Two riders made a "profit" on their bikes.
What I charge to locate, check over, transfer title and store a motorcycle would be less than you would pay in sales tax in the US.
I have a very reasonable pick up fee.
My storage is super secure and fully insulated.
Bikes are kept on a rotating tender and started on a regular basis.
If you are considering shipping, I would be more than happy to sell/store your US bike here for you.
It's been a great summer meeting riders from all over the world and judging by the interest already for next year, it's going to be a busy summer next year.

In a nutshell. For what you would pay to ship a motorcycle to and fro from the USA to Europe, you can actually "buy" the bike here. When you buy, you have something to sell, when you ship, your money is gone.

Shipping makes sense in two situations.
A. You are on a round the world trip and you are continuing on.
B. You already have a spare bike and intend to leave it here for a number of years.

In response to the OP of this thread, your Honda Transalp is happily sitting in my barn. He found a "fully loaded" 2003 Transalp for 2,600 Euro on www.donedeal.ie

Have a great ride, whatever or wherever you ride.

WW
Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
drswift
DRSWIFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekebird View Post
Oh Dave, Check Knopftours...he has US bikes for sale pretty regular, from guys not wanting to ship home
Yeah, saw that. It looks like they don't last long.

'07 R1200RT
Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #26
Reddog
Doug@8000'

Oddometer: 346
1100GS in Germany

I know a guy that keeps a 1100GS in Germany that might be willing to lease it out for an extended trip. PM me if you need more info.
D@8K'
http://www.duckpondcottage.com/
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote