Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #1036
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearscotty View Post
Michael, i forgot to mention the most crucial part. I got the 30 overlanders for the ktm 690. However, the bike i have been riding 25k in the last year 2 up and was thinking about using another set as tank panniers is a 1200 gs adventure. Maybe this changes your opinion a little. You must have thought i was crazy traveling 2 up on a 690r 25 thousand miles!
Ahhh... Now that makes more sense. I don't know about "crazy" - that's a pretty strong word around these parts! But I definitely did consider you somewhat... "determined", shall we say?

OK. So, yeah. That could work. However, I still can't say for sure at this stage. Have you tried mocking it up yet? Other than that, all I can suggest is giving it a go and sending back the US Tanks if it doesn't work out.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #1037
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I didn't mean to imply anything, but perhaps while researching buckles he came across these cool aluminum hooks and just had to have em on his new product. Nothing wrong with that, I would have done the same most likely.

But nowadays you can have the same concept, with a locking gate.
No worries, mate. Dom and Mike are pretty good at spotting new concepts that might further improve the gear, so I'm sure that, if they think this, or any other system could work better, they'll be in the initial testing phase before we know it.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 11-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #1038
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
You are onto something... And hopefully here's the missing link:

PM me your address and I'll send you a second set of the Loops Straps (just like the ones you've transferred from the front of the base plate to the rear).

On Enduro and MX-style dirt bikes, we supply them as an alternative to the Velcro straps, which are really designed for big ADV machines and regular street bikes.

And, yeah: give covering the filler cap a go. It will buy you precious seat space and gassing up is no big deal at all with the QR clips.

Michael
Mike, the bag of tricks arrived today. Thanks so much for the straps and the extras I'll try to get to this this weekend and post up some more pics.

Thanks!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #1039
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Two different ways Kriega can help to accomplish the same task!

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #1040
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
BMW OEM (Touratech) Adventure Racks

Michael,

I'm still trawling the googles about all the different Kriega bags. The Overlander 60 looks like a nice set-up, but I can't find anything that indicates it fits a 1200GS Adventure rack (which is made by Touratech). All the literature I can find says the O-60 fits Touratech racks, but makes no mention of the BMW. Does it fit the BMW/Touratch rack as well?

Also, if the O-60 is compatible, is it relatively painless to swap between the aluminium cans and the Overlander system? From what I've read and seen it looks like a pretty simple on-and-off.
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #1041
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twempie View Post
Michael,

I'm still trawling the googles about all the different Kriega bags. The Overlander 60 looks like a nice set-up, but I can't find anything that indicates it fits a 1200GS Adventure rack (which is made by Touratech). All the literature I can find says the O-60 fits Touratech racks, but makes no mention of the BMW. Does it fit the BMW/Touratch rack as well?

Also, if the O-60 is compatible, is it relatively painless to swap between the aluminium cans and the Overlander system? From what I've read and seen it looks like a pretty simple on-and-off.
Hi mate,

If your racks look like these...

... And / or have these dimensions...

... Then you're off and running.

If, however, you have these 'Special Set' type racks...

... the exhaust side is a no-go.

Assuming you do have the standard style racks - once initial assembly has been carried out - fitting the Overlander 60 system takes roughly two minutes. Removal is even quicker.

EDIT: Just revisited your previous post photos and it appears that you do in fact have the Special Set. In which case (no pun intended!), you'd need to switch out the exhaust side rack in order to take advantage of the Overlander 60 system.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #1042
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Thanks Michael. And bugger...

Does this mean I'm SOL?

Twempie screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 11:07 AM
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #1043
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

'Fraid so, chief....

...Unless of course you switch out the exhaust side frame. Or see if anyone in the Fleamarket wants to trade or give you a decent price for the Special Set...

BritKit LLC
Old 11-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #1044
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,293
some great deals going on for the holidays

http://www.kriega.us/special-offers/
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #1045
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Promo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
some great deals going on for the holidays
Ha-ha! Yep - was just about to post that myself!

Here's the full spec:

Clickety-click! >> http://www.kriega.us/special-offers/

Feel free to spread the word throughout ADVland!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 11-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #1046
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Cambodia off road trip

The kriega Overlander 30 bags have been on a couple short trips so far, however now they're being loaded for a two week offroad circumnavigation of the perimeter of Cambodia.

Packed starting with the exhausrt side bag are the narrower items of:

Starting from the top left: Two Ziplock bags of pork jerky,
Two bags of insulin needles (I'm a diabetic), Ziplock bag of dried mangos, 18 &21 inch innertubes, Tire tools, toiletries and two quarts of Motul oil.

Left side bag: from the top. Bag of Snickers bars, Foldin saw (I had to leave my preferred Sven Saw at home since the Kriega bags cannot hold it), water filter, Bivouc Sack and down quilt, Clothes (one pair of shorts pants, riding jersey, long sleeved patagonia expedition weight thermal top, sythentic T shirt, 2 undies and 2 pair of socks, and one woolie hat.)

Fitted on the bike.

The Exhaust side bag always rides higher up than the left side bag no matter how much slack I run on the over the seat strap I cannot get it lower when packed to capacity. When packed 80% I can get it to sit the same as the left side. Sadly due to the minimal space in the Overlander 30 I had to mount a rear tool bag to take some spares and tools in addition to a tube bag on the front for another tube.

I'm also carrying a Kriega R15 pack. Its loaded with:

From the top left row: Electrical chords for phone, computer, camera etc. , tow rop, first aid kit, Extra back up insulinm, headlamp, spare bifocul safety glasses.

On my cross border trips I'm starting to use the R3 fanny pack. On border crosssings and in foreign third world countrys i like to keep my vital objects close to me and also in thee evening when swinging about the town I never want to leave this stuff in a guest house etc.

It's packed in the waterproof compartment with: Passport and bike documents, passport pics and pen in a ziplock bag for easy access at border crossings, insulin and needles, blood glucose tester. and a Dark bag with $1000 in small bills (less if I'm travelling in Thailand). This pretty much packs the waterpoof compartment full. In the zippered compartment houses my phone in its own waterproof ruggedized housing, glucose tablets, eyeglasses. In the small windowed compartment on the flap are house keys, spare bike key and also an extra pen and index cards for notes with phone numbers etc.

The R3 is handy but needs a tiny bit more capacity (however not as bulky as the R8. My other Fanny packs by competitors hold a bit more but lack the waterproof feature of the R3.

Looking to see how the Kriega products fair during this ride as it hould be a decent test of the kit.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #1047
vfxdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
I too have had the alloy hooks come free, which wouldn't have happened with the alternative design of hook shown. I lost my US30 off the back of my bike at speed, nearly bringing down the rider behind me. That rider was not very happy, nor was my Macbook Pro which was in the US30.

After a bit of to and fro I did get the bag replaced but I can confirm it is wise not to put too much faith in the current design of metal hooks.

Otherwise a pretty impressive product line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I didn't mean to imply anything, but perhaps while researching buckles he came across these cool aluminum hooks and just had to have em on his new product. Nothing wrong with that, I would have done the same most likely.

But nowadays you can have the same concept, with a locking gate.
vfxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #1048
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
I've only been using Kriega gear for a couple trips now. Luckily my bags staps have not come loose yet. Have others, like the poster above, had their straps come loose, and unhook?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #1049
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
I've only been using Kriega gear for a couple trips now. Luckily my bags staps have not come loose yet. Have others, like the poster above, had their straps come loose, and unhook?
I've never had all 4 come loose, at the same time, like that gentlemen. But I have routinely had one, sometimes two come loose. So have some of my friends.

We quickly ditched the hook strap setup for the older method. We just used the buckles with some nylon webbing.

I personally use 4 loops straps from an old BMW tailbag that came with 12 straps, 4 short, 4 medium and 4 long. So I used the long ones with the Kriega buckles. The other end looks like the mounting portion of a rock strap.

For the US-20 I used straps through the D rings around the whole bag. It's actually much quicker to remove than having 4 buckles then figuring out what to do with them after you take the bag off (yes I have the strap connector thingies as well)
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #1050
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Mike,

I have done a (very) quick browse of this thread and not found a quick answer to what I am wondering. Would a pair of US10's work well for topper bags on a set of Zega Pro panniers? Would you have a picture of such an application?

Thanks.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote