Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #226
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
There's a repro rear fender on Ebay for that rig, Tom. It's not cheap, though. I'd spend my money on a rear shock, instead. Klaus over at YSS USA ought to be able to put one together for a reasonable price. Get 'er buttoned up and ride 'er. Everyone needs a riding classic in the stable, and that one has the potential to be pretty, and a lot of fun. When's the last time you rode a dual-sport you could flat-foot?

I wouldn't be reluctant to bring a 250 to Newfoundland, even an old-school ride. There's not a lot of places to burn your hair off, so something that tops out at 70 mph will get you through. Light weight and good gas mileage would go far, so long as you kept the baggage down.
Yeah, that repro is a bit pricey. I saw a NOS one in the UK for less with shipping. I checked out YSS and they have good prices, thanks!

The last time I was able to flat foot a dual sport was ........um.....NEVER! Well, except for my daughters CRF70F

I'll work on getting her operating properly over the winter and see what we have at that point. I'm stoked to get this ol' girl on the road.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #227
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 641
Sorry I didn't find this excellent RR a little sooner, it was a wonderful read. Back in May a romantic adventure took me to St. John's, NL and this old desert rat fell in love with Newfoundland and it's amazing people. In the two weeks I was there I met no one who wasn't very friendly and always helpful. It was an odd thing because Newfoundland is about as different from my state of Arizona as it can be but I felt at home there right from the start. I credit the wonderful Newfies for that. People from some parts of Canada use "Newfie" as a slight put down but the locals are proud of their nickname and rightly so, Newfoundland ain't for sissies.

One of my favorite stories from the trip goes like this: I was driving down the freeway well outside of St. John's, my lovely hostess in the right seat, when we spotted a for real moose (cow) up ahead by the side of the freeway. My friend began saying excitedly "Stop! Stop! There's a MOOSE!!" I replied that we were doing 75 mph on the freeway and it seemed like the wrong time to pull over for game spotting. She replied "We love our moose! We always stop to watch them!"

Sure enough the two cars ahead of me in the right lane slowed and pulled over for some moose viewing. As I was in the left lane and still going fast we zoomed on by Mrs. Bullwinkle. My friend seemed genuinely disappointed at the missed opportunity. I said "If you all love the moose so much why are you so keen to shoot them?" She replied with proper Newfie logic "Because they taste good!"

I am hopeful about visiting Newfoundland a couple of times in the coming year both to see the lovely lady and to enjoy a very lovely land. I checked already and can't find any place to rent a motorcycle though. To explore there on road or off would be great fun.
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #228
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,617
That's a very nice photo set, Doug. (Click the Newfoundland link.)

I think the nearest place to rent a bike is near Halifax NS, and it isn't cheap -- $150 per day, or $1000 per week.

Newfoundland Outdoor Adventures offers ATV tours on the T'railway and the branch lines, which are kind of expensive also ($200 for a four-hour tour, $300 for six hours). Not exactly biking, but it would get you into the backcountry. Sounds like they are amenable to two-up riding, if you wanted to make a day of it with the lovely lady.

I've found that Newfoundlanders don't much take to the term "Newfie." They prefer "Newfoundlander." We won't get into the Bayman/Townie debate -- it gets Skibum69 all riled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr View Post
Sorry I didn't find this excellent RR a little sooner, it was a wonderful read. Back in May a romantic adventure took me to St. John's, NL and this old desert rat fell in love with Newfoundland and it's amazing people. In the two weeks I was there I met no one who wasn't very friendly and always helpful. It was an odd thing because Newfoundland is about as different from my state of Arizona as it can be but I felt at home there right from the start. I credit the wonderful Newfies for that. People from some parts of Canada use "Newfie" as a slight put down but the locals are proud of their nickname and rightly so, Newfoundland ain't for sissies.

One of my favorite stories from the trip goes like this: I was driving down the freeway well outside of St. John's, my lovely hostess in the right seat, when we spotted a for real moose (cow) up ahead by the side of the freeway. My friend began saying excitedly "Stop! Stop! There's a MOOSE!!" I replied that we were doing 75 mph on the freeway and it seemed like the wrong time to pull over for game spotting. She replied "We love our moose! We always stop to watch them!"

Sure enough the two cars ahead of me in the right lane slowed and pulled over for some moose viewing. As I was in the left lane and still going fast we zoomed on by Mrs. Bullwinkle. My friend seemed genuinely disappointed at the missed opportunity. I said "If you all love the moose so much why are you so keen to shoot them?" She replied with proper Newfie logic "Because they taste good!"

I am hopeful about visiting Newfoundland a couple of times in the coming year both to see the lovely lady and to enjoy a very lovely land. I checked already and can't find any place to rent a motorcycle though. To explore there on road or off would be great fun.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 04:12 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #229
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post

I've found that Newfoundlanders don't much take to the term "Newfie." They prefer "Newfoundlander." We won't get into the Bayman/Townie debate -- it gets Skibum69 all riled up.
Glad you enjoyed the photos, it was good fun getting those. As to the Newfie title, I guess context counts a lot and it depends on who's saying it and the intent. I've made some very good friends there beyond the lady in question and they all wear the Newfie label with pride and I've never gotten any negative feedback from them about it although I don't overuse it either and of course wouldn't direct it at a stranger.

My lady friend is a St. John's Townie born and raised in a jelly bean house and her best friend is a Bayman (lady?) so I've heard the stories about that old rivalry. What struck me as most interesting is the huge difference in their accents although they grew up only a mile or two apart. My friend has a pleasant accent, very little really, while her friend's words are so thick I struggle to understand her half the time. For me the range of accents I heard in Newfoundland was great fun.

When the Newfie-word thing first came up for me a couple of years ago (I knew about it in the past as I have relatives scattered across Canada and Dad was born there) I asked about it and my lady friend told me they know when someone means it as a term of affection and when someone means it otherwise. As for me, I'd be proud to be a Newfie if only by adoption. Stranger things have happened.

Doug
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer

vintagemxr screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 01:41 AM
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #230
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
Just went through this great report, linked from

The Somewhere Between: Part 1 - Fly and Ride

Great report and thank you.

Ateam
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #231
supernewf71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Awesome report

I just got through the many pages of the ride and have to say, being born and raised in nfld, now relocated to Ontario. Your report makes me want to go home and enjoy the summer just exploring it. My father was from St. Anthony and the drive up the coast is a long haul but beautiful. I was up the last summer in the middle of July with my family and they loved it. Grew up in gander and miss it everyday. Thanks again for the awesome ride report.
supernewf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #232
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

That's very kind of you to say! We enjoyed St. Anthony -- the gals at the Subway and Irving station were better than watching a comedy show. From my personal experience, if you have a place that fills a spot in your heart, it's good to go back when you can. Things are changing, and soon it may not be as you remembered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernewf71 View Post
I just got through the many pages of the ride and have to say, being born and raised in nfld, now relocated to Ontario. Your report makes me want to go home and enjoy the summer just exploring it. My father was from St. Anthony and the drive up the coast is a long haul but beautiful. I was up the last summer in the middle of July with my family and they loved it. Grew up in gander and miss it everyday. Thanks again for the awesome ride report.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #233
Clipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Thumb Awesome report

Canuman you have put together an awesome report! The photos, the narrative and I love the fact that you have done research on the history of this godforsaken rock thrust out in the North Atlantic and tried to determine what makes us tick.

Comments on the railway and Joe Smallwood were dead on. The history is pretty interesting and we are changing. Big oil offshore, the downturn in the fishery and the thousands of us who migrate to other parts of Canada for work have all impacted this place.

My Dad is a townie and my Mom is bayman so I dont quite know what I am.....a mutt?

I have had the opportunity to travel all over this island by road as well as sailing all around it and have also seen many of the places you have visited.

My helmet is off to you! Once again....a fabulous job!

Happy New Year to you too.

Clipper
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #234
supernewf71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Next time head down to white bay and check out a hydro setup in cat arm. The road is rough and beautiful, an awesome park on a salmon river in a little town called sop's arm ( my mom's home town). Another awesome place to stay and just slow down and absorb life at its best.
supernewf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #235
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Hah! Funny you should mention that. I put together a route up there. It's going to be in the 2014 plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernewf71 View Post
Next time head down to white bay and check out a hydro setup in cat arm. The road is rough and beautiful, an awesome park on a salmon river in a little town called sop's arm ( my mom's home town). Another awesome place to stay and just slow down and absorb life at its best.

Canuman screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 06:38 PM
Old 01-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #236
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Thanks. There's something about Newfoundland that sticks in one's soul.

The first migrant Newfoundlander I met was an 80's punk (it was in the 80's, and I was in college) who had a fearful pink Mohawk and very bad skin. He'd left Newfoundland to work in the States, as so many did at that time.

He was about 6'6" and maybe 150 lbs (I'll leave the metric math to you guys) and looked as if he'd been recently exhumed. He was a brilliant Chef -- I mean this guy was truly a master. Given an onion, a couple of potatoes, and a few other scraps of food, and he'd cook you a feast. I think it was his early training on the island in hard times. While other chefs at the time were making elaborate stuff with mangoes and shallots and all sorts of fancy sauces, he kept it simple and direct.

He got a job at a very high-end hotel. It was the custom of the hotel to have the chef come out and hob-nob with the guests, but because of his fearsome appearance, they told him not to. He felt that he'd been done out of a perquisite.

To get his due, when the kitchen closed, he'd take his Sous-Chef and ride the elevator with handfuls of tooth picks and breath mints. They'd offer them to the guests.

"Tooth pick? Breath mint?"

If you check into a five-star, you don't expect to ride the elevator at midnight with two guys in stained whites with demonic stares and weird hair who offer mints and toothpicks. They thought of it as a big old joke.

We're all mutts in the eyes of the Lord, boy. Keep your humor.

I wish I could remember the Chef's name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Canuman you have put together an awesome report! The photos, the narrative and I love the fact that you have done research on the history of this godforsaken rock thrust out in the North Atlantic and tried to determine what makes us tick.

Comments on the railway and Joe Smallwood were dead on. The history is pretty interesting and we are changing. Big oil offshore, the downturn in the fishery and the thousands of us who migrate to other parts of Canada for work have all impacted this place.

My Dad is a townie and my Mom is bayman so I dont quite know what I am.....a mutt?

I have had the opportunity to travel all over this island by road as well as sailing all around it and have also seen many of the places you have visited.

My helmet is off to you! Once again....a fabulous job!

Happy New Year to you too.

Clipper

Canuman screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 06:26 PM
Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #237
Southmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Great writeup! I'd never thought much about Newfoundland before.... this really opened my eyes. Thanks for finding out so much about the place, and the people, the way of life. I appreciate it!
Southmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #238
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Just found this.

Thank you for this report, as it just confirms I need to do this!

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:04 AM   #239
RiderRick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Thank you

Thank you for the great report and pics guys,

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

http://riderrick.wordpress.com/
RiderRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #240
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,569
Pic from Canuman's post #24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
I'm hoping one of you had a good telephoto for that waterfall. We asked a lot of people about it but no one seemed to know anything about it.
I've been doing some research for this year's ride to the area and got onto some info that may answer your question about the waterfall seen from the trail side campsite: Overfalls, near Trout River. More pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/iatnl/s...7625496727302/ and more info: http://www.iatnl.com/index.php/news/...National-Park/