Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #3031
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by QdE RedBaron View Post
Hi Don Juan,
Silently following your adventures since the beginning. No words than you-are-great!

I found something about Desierto de Tatacoa from ADV riders on 2010
http://where-is-g.blogspot.it/2010/1...sierto-de.html

Always beside you! Keep on running
Mio amico da Italia,

Grazie for the URL. Looks nice. Glad to have you along. L'Italia Ť il migliore. Hope to ride there someday.

Ciao,
Giovanni Sherpa
Old 11-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #3032
thepackrat
i can ride that

Oddometer: 36
chill'n in Nunavut

hey John, I'm still following along, with even more incentive than last year. I've taken on a job in Canada's arctic for a year in order to stuff the bank so I can take off next year for parts unknown. Glad to know you're back out on the road, and helping out where you can. I've always found my greatest adventures while traveling start with "do you need a hand?" Keep up the good work, and remember that we're all back here living the life through you (for now).
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #3033
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepackrat View Post
hey John, I'm still following along, with even more incentive than last year. I've taken on a job in Canada's arctic for a year in order to stuff the bank so I can take off next year for parts unknown. Glad to know you're back out on the road, and helping out where you can. I've always found my greatest adventures while traveling start with "do you need a hand?" Keep up the good work, and remember that we're all back here living the life through you (for now).
Hi packrat,

I had to look up Nunavut on Google Earth. You are out there. Probably not too many malls up there so you should be able to save a pile.

Here's to future travels to parts unknown. I hope to read about your adventures the next time I'm back working like you and saving up for more travels.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #3034
Slickrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hola! Juanito

Back to following your adventures.
Thanks again for your efforts.
Keep riding & writing!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #3035
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

It occurs to me that I am turning into a full time vagabond. How did that happen? I have been back to my house a grand total of 10 days since I started this journey over a year ago. Since I donít really have an agenda, I am taking the time to really immerse myself in he way of life down here in Colombia. Studying Spanish several hours a day. Chatting with the Colombians in my first grade level conversational Spanish. Making myself useful as best I can wherever I go.

I feel like Medellin is a home away from home. Of course I felt that way about Apache Junction, Arizona; Tulsa, Oklahoma; Bassett, Nebraska; Portland, Oregon; Xcalak, Mexico; Mahajual, Nicaragua and all the other places I have spent more than a couple days.

I have met so many great ADVriders along the way. And I donít see it stopping any time soon. Had fun today up at Alís place doing some more painting in his apartment. Really fun following Al on his KTM 990 Supermoto through Medellin traffic. That bike sounds so sweet. Mind you, Al was a dispatch rider in London, so I mostly saw his tail light as he climbed the hills leaning into the curves way up ahead. That boy can ride.

Although the Sherpa is running like a dream and starts up effortlessly, the front brake is shite. Al took one look at it today and rolled his eyes. It is pretty frankenbike. After seeing the miracle that Alís mechanic worked on Ramonís Africa Twin a couple days ago, I will take it over tomorrow morning and see what can be done to make it more useful.

more laterÖ.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 11-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #3036
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick View Post
Back to following your adventures.
Thanks again for your efforts.
Keep riding & writing!
Hi Slickrick,

Glad to have you along. I will ride and write until I can do it no more. Could be a while.

Saludos,
Juan Escritor
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #3037
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Hola John,

I was through Bassett this summer on my way to wander around the Sandhills of NE! I rode past this place & wondered how much .22 cent gas was sold from it!

Glad you're back to your Adventure & reporting again. We leave for Mexico on Thursday. This will be my Wife's 1st time exploring the country.....I'm sooo looking forward to sharing it with her! Hopefully, soon, we'll make it to CA & SA. Reports like yours & others are inspiring. Thanks.

Ride Safe & have Fun

Sleddog
Old 11-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #3038
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

So I went down with Al to check out the new easy clutch he had Richard install on his Norton. What a beautiful bike:

I dropped off the Sherpa and will leave it in their capable hands to fix the front brake, replace the paper thin front brake disc, add an odometer of some kind so I know when to change oil and look for gas, clean up the bike, change the oil and filter and anything else they find wrong with it. I have never actually taken any bike to a shop so this is quite a change for me. But you know, that bike has taken me 38,000 miles on some kick ass roads, sat dormant since I left in April and fired right up with six month old gas in the tank. So I feel good letting Alís mechanic fix her up. I have to go over to Venezuela and get a new import permit at some point. But for now, I am happy leaving the bike for some well deserved TLC:

That is the mecanico Richard with his back to the camera in the green shirt.

I like the way they push 125s to the max down here. Case in point, a 125 delivery bike with insulated delivery trailer:

That is Al with his back to the camera in the orange shirt and Ken the deaf biker who has come back from a week of riding a rented GS12. Since Ken can't hear, it is fun to use a text editor on this computer to type questions and answers. Sort of like instant messaging. Except instead of sending messages back home we are sending messages across the table as we rotate the laptop back and forth. Pretty fun.

Saludos,
Juan Pintor
Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #3039
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
Hola John,

I was through Bassett this summer on my way to wander around the Sandhills of NE! I rode past this place & wondered how much .22 cent gas was sold from it!

Glad you're back to your Adventure & reporting again. We leave for Mexico on Thursday. This will be my Wife's 1st time exploring the country.....I'm sooo looking forward to sharing it with her! Hopefully, soon, we'll make it to CA & SA. Reports like yours & others are inspiring. Thanks.

Ride Safe & have Fun

Sleddog
Hi Sleddog,

That is a nice picture of the historic Bassett gas station on main street. The same company is still delivering gas, diesel and propane to the ranches out in the sticks. Instead of 15 bucks for a 55 gallon drum of gas when I was a kid I think it's more like 200.00 now.

Have fun in Mexico! My great grandparents homesteaded in South Dakota. Quite a change in the weather from when you took that picture as opposed to the next few months. Nice time to be south of the border.

Safe travels amigo,
Nebraska John
Old 11-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #3040
calimusjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
One day at a time

Hi John, I am faithfully following your advise - re: comfortable riding = riding more makes it easier. So, I wandered away from southern Oregon, made a run of the gauntlet in Sturgis to see the new plains Indians and to snicker at all the Harleys on trailers. Enjoyed the B. C. BMW owners rally in Nakusp and the Horizons Unlimited Travelers gathering also in Nakusp. Like you, they have some great stories from riding around this big blue marble.

Now, I have parked the Goldwing and the Beemer (temporarily) and am perched on a TW200 in Arizona with the Yucatan in the sights of January/February.

I would leave sooner, but have promised to attend my 75th B.D. party here in the U.S. I look forward to seeing some of the places you chronicled and to actually see the difference in old/new stonework. You added a new dimension to Mayan ruins.

Keep up the good work. Not all of us can complete what you have done, but you have provided enough incentive to keep me moving. Regards, another - John
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #3041
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
Hi John, I am faithfully following your advise - re: comfortable riding = riding more makes it easier. So, I wandered away from southern Oregon, made a run of the gauntlet in Sturgis to see the new plains Indians and to snicker at all the Harleys on trailers. Enjoyed the B. C. BMW owners rally in Nakusp and the Horizons Unlimited Travelers gathering also in Nakusp. Like you, they have some great stories from riding around this big blue marble.

Now, I have parked the Goldwing and the Beemer (temporarily) and am perched on a TW200 in Arizona with the Yucatan in the sights of January/February.

I would leave sooner, but have promised to attend my 75th B.D. party here in the U.S. I look forward to seeing some of the places you chronicled and to actually see the difference in old/new stonework. You added a new dimension to Mayan ruins.

Keep up the good work. Not all of us can complete what you have done, but you have provided enough incentive to keep me moving. Regards, another - John
Hi CalamusJohn,

Glad to hear you're still out exploring. Sounds like a lot of fun tearing it up on a TW200 to the Yucatan. I hope I'm doing the same when I'm 75.

And how about Nakusp? I went up there to the Hot Springs BMW rally a decade ago or more. Really nice folks up in rural B.C. There's some fun riding up there as well. British Columbia in the summertime is a beautiful thing. Really nice hearing from you. Have fun this winter and let me know how it goes.

Juan Yucatan
Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #3042
joe.bedford
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Riding gear

Hi! Would you mind giving us a bit of info on the bike clothing you used? We're setting off from California for Ecuador in 3 weeks. It's my GF's first long distance ride and my first ride through Mexico and South America so we're hoping for a bit of insight.

Soph's riding a 150cc bike and I'm on a mildly modified 883 Sportster... strange combo I know.

Loving the minimalist write-up!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #3043
gasandasphalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Joe

Joe, rather that asking about clothing, you had better start looking for a bike for your GF, at least a 250, or better yet 650cc.

You on a 883 and her on a 150 would indicate to me you will be buying your GF a plane tic. home after a few miles into Mex..

Good luck??
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #3044
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Juanito!

Your braking problems appear to be with the new rotor not matching the caliper.

Look at the contact patch on the rotor. You probably only have 1/4 to 1/2 the pad actually contacting the rotor. A larger rotor is required (if possible) - [ after looking closer it looks like the outer ring may NOT be contacting and rust?? ]

Either way, something isn't lining up there...
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Old 11-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #3045
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.bedford View Post
Hi! Would you mind giving us a bit of info on the bike clothing you used? We're setting off from California for Ecuador in 3 weeks. It's my GF's first long distance ride and my first ride through Mexico and South America so we're hoping for a bit of insight.

Soph's riding a 150cc bike and I'm on a mildly modified 883 Sportster... strange combo I know.

Loving the minimalist write-up!
Hi Joe,

What a fun trip! Nothing wrong with putt-putting along at 50-55 mph watching the world go by, keeping your girlfriend in your rearview mirror, stopping for fish tacos, staying in clean motels (and there are plenty of them) that don't gross Soph out. Sounds sweet to me. Any woman who will ride with her man to South America on any bike is aces in my book. You are a lucky man indeed.

I raced kids riding 125s in the Mexican mountains. On curvy roads those little bastards can really fly. I say a Sporty and a 150 are about an even match through most of the winding mountainous backroads you will likely be on. I know first hand that a Sherpa can smoke any Harley in the winding mountain passes. (Until we hit the first straight stretch that is).

As far as clothing goes, you'd be surprised how butt freezing cold it is up in the mountains of Mexico at night and in the mornings in December. It's not uncommon for there to be ice in the shady corners on the Espinoza del Diablo in the middle of Winter until the noonday sun melts it off. I remember freezing my ass off in Creel as well up at the top of Copper Canyon in the middle of winter years ago. If you are leaving from Joshua Tree, my advice would be to stick to the coast route down by the Pacific where it is warmer. I have long underwear to wear under my jeans and riding pants up in the higher elevations. And a down vest that stuffs down to nothing that puffs up and really keeps me warm under my riding jacket. I needed it in the Mexican mountains in the mornings, as well as upper elevation Guatemala and the mountain passes in Costa Rica. Not to mention the high mountain riding up over 13,000 feet here in Colombia. It's only maybe in the 40's but that is awfully cold when it starts raining.

The thing is you can always drop down to the coast where it will be 90 degrees and sweltering by the time you hit Puerto Vallarta. That means you need to have a well vented jacket and will be wearing very little other that riding pants and jacket. And if you get too hot, just cut up into the mountains to the cooler elevations. Hope I run into you guys down the road somewhere.

Your ADVpal,
Juan de la Ropa Abrigadora

JDowns screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 07:08 PM
Closed Thread