Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #121
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs-ell View Post
My biggest gripe was 'on track' at about 100mph the bike massively bogs down, to the point it feels like it needs to be put on reserve.
I'll be pratting about with different mainjets and maybe even a small fuel pump.

I'll email you the cam ideas

Elliott
Elliot, i will be lucky to do the ton on any public road hahaha In saying that, i will see your bike in action and get pumped up looking for more mph!
violetpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #122
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJaiT View Post
first up great work on the bike mate & I'm certainly glad to see u took my advice to buy from Motorworks, hopefully they were able to help u out with a small discount to

keep up to good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travmoto View Post
i'm loving this thread, my only complaint is that its not happening quick enough lol

Thanks gents! hahaha i wish it could be done faster but as with everything good, it takes time! Stay tuned... Motorwork UK service was great. I called them also to touch base and confirm the order and they were briliant over the phone and everything was spot on when the package arrived. Just the way i like it. Same goes with flat racer uk, Edgar was so good to deal with!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #123
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietHorse View Post
I do like that fairing. Consider to get one for my CX650 .

Your soon to be looked like this?

That is correct, Viet! I will be looking at getting a much more stream line, lower screen made to fit with the lines of the bike. I will also be running an acewell digital dash so i can run a lower screen. Should be good!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #124
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
So cool, cant wait to see the exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpop View Post
It's different to the norm... Very unorthodox. I'm wrapped at how it turned out. This was the best picture I could find that showed the gap between frame and tyre. I can't see it being a problem.

johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #125
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
You guys may know about the name Ritmo Sereno.
Yeah, from this workshop, there are few very cool BMW cafe racers built.
Check it out here:
http://www.ritmo-sereno.com/customfile/index.html

And there are bikes which may give yous some build ideas:

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #126
gs-ell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Voltaire

I don't suppose you'll know the difference in stock cam phase between the R65 and R100 would you?
I know the r100 has a different phase i just can't find the numbers!!

Thanks
gs-ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #127
SERE Nate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Looking great!
SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #128
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Slightly off topic, I'm converting a R65 to R45 for a sub 500 race class and have had the cam re-profiled to the 336 grind, mainly as we have a set of masters for the 247 phased cam. The R65 cam has different phasing.
To my eye ports are quite a good size on the R45/R65 heads, 36mm , same as the R90 racer I run.
" they' say the R65 motor is not as strong as the larger ones, but other than crank weights the crank is nigh on the same, as are the rods.
I suspect it was failures of the 7mm valves.
Last year I bought an R65 for $1100 and thrashed it up to redline regularly ( 100 000kms on clock)
On a twisty bit of road it was an awesome ride, my Ducati mate was very surprised.
I'd suggest 8mm valves or better than the BMW 7mm ones, get some better valve springs ( beehive) and titanium retainers.
Get the whole lot balanced and give it death.
For carbs I was thinking 32mm Dells but at this stage might use the R65 ones.
None of this has been tested but got a running R65 racer arriving next week and the 450 ( 470cc) is on the bench.
have fun
What are the angles exactly so we all can get some R65 cams made?

I think all of the R65 horror stories are just that. The rods don't break any more than the others AND those 7mm valves don't break any more than the others. The heads do warp more for being a lot lighter but . . . . No one mentions that because they really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to R65 reliability.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #129
gs-ell
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post

I think all of the R65 horror stories are just that. The rods don't break any more than the others AND those 7mm valves don't break any more than the others. The heads do warp more for being a lot lighter but . . . . No one mentions that because they really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to R65 reliability.
Supershaft,

In my road going r65 i run the r100 cam, it has a wider phase on the cam so gives more torque low down, and slightly increased the acceleration of the bike.
I use the r65 as you can rev it's nuts off and the r100 cam doesn't change that.

You can buy the 336 cam from moorespeed - http://www.moorespeed.co.uk/

But if you're after a tailored cam you'd be best speaking to a company with your requirements as they can change the lobe shapes, lengths and phase's

Hope it helps
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #130
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs-ell View Post
Supershaft,

In my road going r65 i run the r100 cam, it has a wider phase on the cam so gives more torque low down, and slightly increased the acceleration of the bike.
I use the r65 as you can rev it's nuts off and the r100 cam doesn't change that.

You can buy the 336 cam from moorespeed - http://www.moorespeed.co.uk/

But if you're after a tailored cam you'd be best speaking to a company with your requirements as they can change the lobe shapes, lengths and phase's

Hope it helps
What is phase?

You are running a R100 cam in a R65? Your cam timing is way off early on the right cylinder and way off late on the left. Even IF one cylinder is timed better than stock, the other one definitely is not! I would rather have a cam ground for that engine that takes into account the different angle at the lifter bores.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #131
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:

I don't know, never thought to ask. Just gave them a std cam and Maxheadroom has a set of 33 masters and he explained the 'phasing' which I take means as you said the cam follower angles.
I'm hoping to have the R45 powered racer going for Jan.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #132
gs-ell
Adventurer

Quote:
What is phase?

You are running a R100 cam in a R65? Your cam timing is way off early on the right cylinder and way off late on the left. Even IF one cylinder is timed better than stock, the other one definitely is not! I would rather have a cam ground for that engine that takes into account the different angle at the lifter bores.
As far as i understood it, the phase is the angle of separation between the lobes that allows you to alter the angles of valve lift and timing from TDC, but as i'm at work i'm not too sure now...

The cam idea was given to me by a guy at motorworks who raced r65 drag bikes, i've started running the bike rich to see if i can stop the top end bogging down in 4th, but i've not been on it for a while now, so can't report anything great yet!
I'm starting to put together a blog of planned improvements for the engine and the progress over the following year, i've been really boring reading about the best cam for what i'm after, i'll post up findings so far if it helps.

All the best
Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #133
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I don't know, never thought to ask. Just gave them a std cam and Maxheadroom has a set of 33 masters and he explained the 'phasing' which I take means as you said the cam follower angles.
I'm hoping to have the R45 powered racer going for Jan.
I was thinking that a Cam Dr. could guestimate the angle IF that particular R65 cam sampled was timed perfectly and that is a BIG if. My ONE experience getting a cam ground with a real famous Northern Ca. cam shop was NOT good!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:31 AM   #134
violetpop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Have some small updates as the bike is still at the fabricators. They are welding in some new foot peg brackets for the rear seats and sent me an update shot. Looks the goods!
(Sorry for such a poor quality photo)

In other news, my graphic designer knocked up a few colour and strip combinations... I always had a black of some sort in mind but after seeing the white I'm swaying towards it.. What are your thoughts?

I'm not sure if I've posted this but my designer is always up to interesting and wonderful things. Here is some of his work.

Over the weekend I had a chance to visit the Sydney Scooter and Motorcycle Expo and take a look at the all new BMW NineT. I do like this bike very much but I think it will be way out my price range so I will wait for a second hand one to come up down the track.

I also did a little drawing of how I'm thinking this bike is going to turn out. Smooth lines and everything kept tight with a hint of racing bike to it.

Peace, Tony Pop.

violetpop screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 03:37 AM
Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #135
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Amazing... You must be an artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpop View Post

Peace, Tony Pop.

Link to All about VietNam