ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 133 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #451
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Doh!!!! I did it again, this time in the California desert. But I think it was traumatically ripped off in one incident. The participants of this thread came through last time. Anyone have a recent lead on an antenna?
Just as an FYI, but the really old and outdated Garmin GPS II, III, V all use the same antenna. I recently broke one (well rather a buddy did after he hit a tree while using my GPS ). I stole an antenna off my GPS III that has been gathering dust and it worked fine.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #452
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Doh!!!! I did it again, this time in the California desert. But I think it was traumatically ripped off in one incident. The participants of this thread came through last time. Anyone have a recent lead on an antenna?
I have a spare it ain't perfect but it works.
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #453
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Just as an FYI, but the really old and outdated Garmin GPS II, III, V all use the same antenna. I recently broke one (well rather a buddy did after he hit a tree while using my GPS ). I stole an antenna off my GPS III that has been gathering dust and it worked fine.
Perfect. I had a Garmin III+ gathering dust as well. I swapped the antenna to my 478 and it works. Thanks so much.

I used to have two III+'s and gave one away. I wish I had it back now so I had a spare. I'm going to have to screw with my 478 mount on my 950SE so the antenna stays away from the front brake line.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #454
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchamp View Post
My 478 failed me this weekend, Oregon saved the day (believe it or not). So the 478 restarted in the middle of a route, and when running off external power, just keeps recycling the start-up screen. On battery power, it brings up the start-up screen, then shuts off after about three seconds.

Any thoughts?
Anybody? If not, I guess it's time for some exploratory surgery...
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #455
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
I'm going to have to screw with my 478 mount on my 950SE so the antenna stays away from the front brake line.
Have you thought of using One OF These?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #456
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
478 problem

My 376C had a similar problem. Turned out to be a corrupted data card. Replaced it with a new one and all was good.

A couple of other things to try if you haven't already:
Holding down the Power on and Enter button gets you to a internal diagnostic screen.
Holding down the Power on and Quit button allows a reset to factory default settings.

Hope this helps.

Drew

Quote:
Anybody? If not, I guess it's time for some exploratory surgery...

Ride report: Orange in the Greens
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #457
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjb7 View Post
My 376C had a similar problem. Turned out to be a corrupted data card. Replaced it with a new one and all was good.
You are my GPS hero!! Not sure why I even had a data card for the Aleutian Islands in there, but it (mostly) works fine with it removed. Still fighting an issue where it shuts off after a bump or two, battery or external power.

Thanks D!!!
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #458
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
478 problem

Glad that helped. Bump related on/off does sound more like a hardware issue, maybe bad solder joint. Looks like you'll have to explore inside after all.

Drew

Quote:
You are my GPS hero!! Not sure why I even had a data card for the Aleutian Islands in there, but it (mostly) works fine with it removed. Still fighting an issue where it shuts off after a bump or two, battery or external power.

Thanks D!!!

Ride report: Orange in the Greens
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #459
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,306
After losing my way, being tempted by the new hotness, I have realized my sins and have returned to the fold.

Got another 478 coming my way.

I tried a Montana. A Zumo 550. A Nav IV.

None could do it for me.

Still confused as to why I have to go back 3 levels of evolution to find a gps that works well on a bike, guess I'll go to my grave not knowing the answer. Everything I tried was lesser in some major area. Yes, they were much better in some major areas, but then just abysmal in those others. What gets me is that Garmin doesn't have to invent any new technology to fill this need.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #460
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Garmin 478 users/owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
After losing my way, being tempted by the new hotness, I have realized my sins and have returned to the fold.

None could do it for me.

Still confused as to why I have to go back 3 levels of evolution to find a gps that works well on a bike, guess I'll go to my grave not knowing the answer. Everything I tried was lesser in some major area. Yes, they were much better in some major areas, but then just abysmal in those others. What gets me is that Garmin doesn't have to invent any new technology to fill this need.

I agree just picked up a Montana and am not impressed at all. As a matter of fact if I would have paid what most are for them I would be downright pissed. Going to stick with my older units for now and when they die I will just use a smartphone (unless garmin gets their head out of their ass and makes truly modern unit). All they would have to do is make a "modern" version of the 276c and call it good. By modern I mean don't change much other than ditch the proprietary data card and use more modern computer.

mpatch screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 03:07 PM
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #461
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

My 'new' 478 showed last night. Took me two minutes to get it fired up, and setup the way I like.

Boy, did I miss this thing.

No more dark side for me.

Unless: Give me a 478 with an SD card slot. Buttons on the left would be nice, so would a bigger screen, but a simple SD card slot would get my money.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #462
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Mongo sad.

Map update won't load, Garmin says unit isn't able to use internal memory at all. Strange thing is, on my last one it would update for the space internally it had, then I'd load the remainder on the data card.

Read once there was a workaround for this, anyone got a link?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #463
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,306
Quote:

None could do it for me.

Your post troubles me, Drif. My 478 is working fine, but I see it's getting old. I worry about which unit to replace it with, should that sad day come.

Can you tell us what specifically you didn't like about the Montana? That's the one I'd probably get...
Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #464
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Your post troubles me, Drif. My 478 is working fine, but I see it's getting old. I worry about which unit to replace it with, should that sad day come.

Can you tell us what specifically you didn't like about the Montana? That's the one I'd probably get...
Small screen that gets smaller if you have any data fields. Then add a route, the directions bar is on top. Those combined halve the screen. No kidding, half.

It's all touch screen and small icons, and I have big hands.

The guys who love it come from the the 60 csx, that class of unit. To them, it is the shit, and rightly so. But coming from a 478, the thing is too limited in how I use a gps on a bike.

The zumo 550 I used for a while was better on a bike for me. Had the Nav IV (xumo 660) and I disliked it because it was really limiting the zoom level for detail, it would only allow 500m scale, at 800m the small roads would disappear. On the 550, it went to 1.2km. The 478 2km, and that alone is a huge thing for me. I'm prone to using it as a moving map on the fly, and it was too hard at the lower zoom levels to float through an area, picking up and finding the fun ways to get there.

Parts are out there, fix yours when it needs it.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #465
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,306
Quote:
The zumo 550 I used for a while was better on a bike for me. Had the Nav IV (xumo 660) and I disliked it because it was really limiting the zoom level for detail, it would only allow 500m scale, at 800m the small roads would disappear. On the 550, it went to 1.2km. The 478 2km, and that alone is a huge thing for me. I'm prone to using it as a moving map on the fly, and it was too hard at the lower zoom levels to float through an area, picking up and finding the fun ways to get there.
Sounds like the car-based Nuvi's. I rant about them all the time. My wife politely listens, then rolls her eyes until I get over it.

I like my GPS to tell me where I am, not merely to tell me how to get from A to B. In other words, to have enough map data that I can see street / highway names on it. Can't do that on the Nuvi's.

It's the most annoying thing, to have all that data in the machine, but not to be able to access it.

All because of Garmin cost control and standardizing on the Nuvi chipset. Some VP who can't read maps really screwed that pooch.