ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.62%
Nasty? 28 13.15%
Nasty but nice? 156 73.24%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #4696
Dirt_Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
[QUOTE=planktonnn;22678823]
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pTwigzrNoUs/TUQO1E1QrlI/AAAAAAAADcY/c_fO59lB7YI/s1600/2.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pTwigzrNoUs/TUQOHFBfqtI/AAAAAAAADbg/MMbf6yWySyw/s1600/9.jpg

Via http://javispeed.blogspot.co.uk/2011_03_01_archive.html[/Q

I member seeing this cool twin at Daytona on maybe '89 They were told it gets very hot, hence the big cooling fins welded on.....
Dirt_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #4697
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
I hate to be a miserable old cnut, but there's something about the incessant electro-fucketry of new BM's that really gets up my arse and gives me a sharp stab in the large intestine.....so, it not only has Automatic Stability Control, with 2 modes for "rain" and "road" which apparently 'enhance range of use while boosting safety on slippery surfaces', but you can avail yourself of 3 additional modes (by paying for the fuckers) through the optional "Ride Modes Pro Feature". If that is not enough, you can also shell out for the Dynamic ESA feature, which is electronic suspension adjustment for fuck's sake. And that's not all...the "E-gas Ride-by-Wire" system utilises a twist grip sensor to send signals direct to the engine management system so it can adjust the opening angle of the throttle valve(s). That's a lot of gizmo-shit you won't be able to repair after you've dropped the thing a hundred times on your round the world adventure-equivalent experience type scenario. What happens if you comes across a landscape-event that you haven't bought the right mode plug-in for? What happens if you're on the "Road" and it starts to "Rain" and you find that your boosted safety on slippery surfaces is compromised?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
Fear not! They're working on an app for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsideup View Post
Will it let me 'share' the current configuration of my bike via social media?

Get with the program, Righty. Share? That's so 2013. This just in from Berlin:

The app will include hardware, namely a 50 penny nail embedded in your skull, which will act as a dual transmiter/receiver, communicating with the app on your new BMW motorcycle. (Transmitter/receiver installer available for 90 Euros/120 dollars). If the app senses that the rider is not riding the ideal line, at the ideal speed and lean angle, adjustments will be made to optimize rider pleasure and ride efficiency. It's all self-correcting in real time, but so far tests have shown the self-correcting function is not necessary, as there have been no corrections to make thanks to the flawless design.

Eventually, the app will be upgraded, so by 2021, all rider input will be unnecessary, freeing the motorcycle operator from the complex task of piloting a motorcycle, thus allowing them to enjoy the ride to its fullest.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6

Thorazine screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 10:08 AM
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #4698
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,684
'The Overton window is a political theory that describes as a narrow "window" the range of ideas the public will accept. On this theory, an idea's political viability depends mainly on whether it falls within that window rather than on politicians' individual preferences. It is named for its originator, Joseph P. Overton (1960-2003), a former vice president of the Mackinac Centre for Public Policy. At any given moment, the “window” includes a range of policies considered politically acceptable in the current climate of public opinion, which a politician can recommend without being considered too extreme to gain or keep public office.'
Old 11-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #4699
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
'The Overton window is a political theory that describes as a narrow "window" the range of ideas the public will accept. On this theory, an idea's political viability depends mainly on whether it falls within that window rather than on politicians' individual preferences. It is named for its originator, Joseph P. Overton (1960-2003), a former vice president of the Mackinac Centre for Public Policy. At any given moment, the “window” includes a range of policies considered politically acceptable in the current climate of public opinion, which a politician can recommend without being considered too extreme to gain or keep public office.'
Interesting.....in times past, the public accepted a very wide range of political ideas, from Communism on the 'left', to Fascism on the 'right' (which ulimately come to be the same thing, i.e. State or Corporate Totalitarianism) as well as many other political theories, now long forgotten.
Somewhere along the line, the public have been conditioned to fear and distrust political ideas that fall outside the narrow band of centre left/right
thinking that predominates in the two-party system. The Overton Window does not, I feel, describe something intrinsic or inherent within the public's political attitudes, but is in itself a part of the mechanism that has infantilised public political consciousness through describing a phenomena as a fact rather than a process. Public education, the Media and the Entertainment Industry (pretty much the same thing) as well as the political
system itself, are all distractive mechanisms to shorten attention spans, severely limit expectations and camouflage the real power bases that actually run this planet.

I'm not claiming that Overton himself was a party to all this, although a great deal of so-called political thinking has been influenced a great deal by the multifarious methods used to 'manufacure consent' which not only works on a consumerist level, but also within the political/academic sphere so as to influence and determine policy. There's always a lot of comment, in the media, about what the public will, or will not, accept in terms of a politician's views or attitudes. This is code for 'what the media corporations'
or political lobbies / PAC's will accept; the public itself don't really give a fuck anymore about a lot of things. They've been shock-tested and bullshitted for so long that they fall into line with what is expected of them, and act accordingly. Public opinion only exists where it allows entrenched power to maintain its grip, if it challenges that power in any way, it simply doesn't get listened to, at best, or its exponents are rubbed out if they make too much noise.

I know you know all this, planktonnn, but I felt the need for a small rant.
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #4700
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Get out of your chairs, go to your window and yell "Im as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #4701
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer View Post
Get out of your chairs, go to your window and yell "Im as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=q_qgVn-Op7Q
Old 11-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #4702
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer View Post
It's a lovely section of an eminently watchable film, full of cadence & cascade, expressed to perfection by a masterful script, a building thunderous performance and a brilliantly paced edit, but in a sense the overall message of the movie does little but support the assertions of my dearest Pjcr12rantsanhoursoregularyoucouldsetanatomicclock in his most recent post*

I've not seen the film for years, maybe not since I was 12 or so, but I am quite naturally left recalling a feeling that the over-riding theme was the use & abuse of one mans sincere overload to serve the corporations increasingly cynical greed for a 'win', as embodied by Dunaways ruthless drive for success at any cost. Indeed a little digging reminds me that William Holdens News Division President character tells her "You are television incarnate, Diana, indifferent to suffering, insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality."

But that's the thing about TV - all life is there, and death too...

Other bigger version for the hard of looking @ http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UHM3q8yyl7...k%2Breport.jpg

* What can be done? It is my perception that the wider populace is crushingly aware of the total & constant control under which we are all ground to powder, and repeatedly reminded of just how in our place we are constantly put, and that (as the phrase goes) resistance is futile. I for one have no answers, and can have confidence in none that I am offered for consideration. As a potential social force we are fragmented by our controllers, and eagerly acquiesce to the ties that bind us. Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t exclude myself from this observation, but people really are fucking stupid. Big people, small people, powerful people, poor people. People really are fucking stupid.

And like I say, I too am People.

planktonnn screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 11:08 AM Reason: Relinkification
planktonnn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #4703
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
The app will include hardware, namely a 50 penny nail embedded in your skull, which will act as a dual transmiter/receiver...
I guess the bolts in my neck will serve a similar purpose?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #4704
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Ye tale of ye twatty starter...

For some time I’ve been having intermittent trouble with my Bosch Starter Motor on the DMW Airhead. When it felt like pissing me about it would just whirrrrr when I prodded the button, as if (to my guess) it wasn’t throwing out the late (9 tooth) bendix gear to engage with the teeth on the (late 111 tooth light) flywheel. When it did engage with the flywheel it would turn the motor once or twice & then kick out again, refusing to churn the engine round repeatedly, and if it didn’t catch I was screwed.

As you might imagine this pissed me off to a mighty degree, as I was left with the probability of having to try to bump start the bloody thing on my own, which in most instances nearly brought on another heart attack, tho/ough I can’t say I’d mind that…

So this week I took advantage of a comparatively sunny (non-rainy) day to tear down the top of the engine to get the starter motor out and have a fiddle. If you are a regular visitor to this thread of mechanical misanthropy you may recall that I don’t have access to a garage, shed or workshop in which to do this sort of thing, so the break in the weather gave me the chance to take on this task in the car park here at ‘The Place’. I was without internet access to seek some form of information or advice, maybe via Ye Venerable & Informationly Snowbum or whatever else google threw up, and both my R series Haynes & Clymer manuals got lost in the Big Shed Pillage along with a pile of tools & spares (see posts passim), so I was left with only my own stupid guesswork to go on, and as you will know I really have little or no idea what I’m doing But I thought I’d give it a go anyway. Well I had to.

To my mind the problem was most likely to reside, in no particular order, in either the starter relay or its wiring, in a sticky un-lubed bendix gear, or in the starter solenoid, so I pulled the tank off, disconnected the battery and of course I started with the easiest option & swapped out the relay with an old spare I had. Way back I’d been ‘clever’ enough to write a big ‘S’ on the spare so I didn’t have to work out if I was handling a headlight, indicator or other assorted relay. Of course the pin configuration would tell me, but I preferred to know what I was playing with. I popped in the replacement and reconnected the battery to see if the relay swap had helped with the problem, but predictably it hadn’t. So, I somewhat begrudgingly disconnected the battery again, pulled the front cover, airbox/filter & top cover off and proceeded to hook out the starter via it’s three mounting points & two wiring connections.

The bendix shaft & bearings didn’t seem particularly dry but were perhaps a little stiffer than I might expect, so I gave them a little dribble of oil and propped the starter assembly in a variety of orientations to try to get the lube to seep down into the workings. While gravity did its thing I took to pulling the spark plugs out to reduce compression, rotated the engine via the generator rotor mounting bolt and used an old tooth brush to lightly grease the teeth on the flywheel. Grease was then lightly applied to the teeth & shaft on the bendix, I fiddled about to try and ease the rotation, and (not wishing to disassemble the starter or solenoid without some form of guidance) I managed to get a little oil to seep down into the body of the solenoid via the joint between the barrel and the head of the unit, again trying various orientations to get the lube into the various parts.

The time had come to nervously bolt the starter back in and hook up the electrics, spark plugs and stuff to see if I’d made things (even slightly) better or (in all probability) borked the whole bloody thing. At this point in this sorry tale do bear in mind that this bike is my only one and only form of transport, and I’ve little or no income & am well and truly broke (not least because my insurance is up at the end of the month & I’m saving for that) so if this facile attempt at solving the issue didn’t work I would have a big problem, and I’m really not very good at dealing with problems…

On the first tentative prod of the start button the unit whirred again without engaging, and while this did of course dishearten me, it was perhaps to be expected. On the second try it hooked up and turned the engine over for a longer period than it had done for some time, which was a good sign (or at least I grasped onto it with vain hope of it being a good sign), and then the engine caught. I stopped it, and tried again, and stopped it and tried again a few times then ran it long enough to drain the float bowls as (if you’ve been keeping up at the back there) I’d yet to refit the tank.

So I popped the tank on & went in to grab my helmet & gloves, came out & tried the button again, and again it turned the engine until it caught, and so I rode off down the road to get some tobacco & papers. While the starting end of things seemed to be working I found that the engine was misbehaving by running on when I shut the throttle. As is always the way with my pitiful & wasted life, just as I seemed to have solved one problem another appeared because the left throttle cable* had chosen this moment to fray at the carb end and the bloody thing was now sticking in the cable sleeve & revving the left jug. This, my dear fellows, is just my bloody luck.

So I’ve now got a bike which (so far) starts better, but requires me to reach down and prod the throttle linkage closed every time I try & slow down. It’s not stopped me riding, as I have little or no option. I managed to ring our local Dave and he didn’t have one but having ordered one from Motorworks I should have another cable coming Monday or Tuesday. Then, as is my fate, something else will go wrong…

* I run the configuration with a single cable from the twistgrip to a barrel splitter under the tank, with cables to each side from there. I’d rather have replaced both for evenness of wear/kink/stretch, but one is all I could afford so needs must you know? Now, once the insurance is paid, I’ll need to start saving for a pair of 2nd user tyre/ires next.

planktonnn screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 01:32 PM Reason: Speelink mashtake.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #4705
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqUYujo3NFQ

Auto racing legend Parnelli Jones (embedding dis-enabled)

planktonnn screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 09:14 AM Reason: Spilling mistook.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #4706
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=C27vuLaJ-A4
Old 11-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #4707
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hQ66yuT5UCs
Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #4708