ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #226
Colorado_Rider
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 1,193
Not many bikes out there like it either. I rode a Ninja 1K and said "No thank you" 919 is a rare type of motorcycle if you ask me.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #227
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: ANKENY, IOWA
Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Not many bikes out there like it either. I rode a Ninja 1K and said "No thank you" 919 is a rare type of motorcycle if you ask me.

No argument here.........

It is the BEST "if you could only own one bike" bike IMO.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #228
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D
 
Super Sneaky Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Not many bikes out there like it either. I rode a Ninja 1K and said "No thank you" 919 is a rare type of motorcycle if you ask me.
What didn't you like about the N1K? I've got a 919 now and was considering the big ninja as more of a sport touring bike.
Super Sneaky Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #229
squish
Out of the office.
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Where the Ghetto meets the sea.
Oddometer: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Appears that on the highway this bike suffers, probably due to the lack of aerodynamics. Oh well, it is what it is.
I don't know for me and my commute 40miles of which 30 is freeway it does pretty good.
I like the bike up to about 75mph. With the Honda fly screen and a K&N replica super bike bar. It's just about right.
__________________
On vacation for a spell
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #230
kingrex
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Oddometer: 156
Friend of mine gave me his 02 919 last summer. He is in the military and transferring overseas and couldn't take it with him, besides, it was in such a state of dis-repair it wasn't worth trying to fix (to him). It had sat outside unattended for approx. 3 years about 3 short blocks from the beautiful gulf of mexico and all it's salty glory. Frankly, it looked like it had been brought up from the titanic. I had know idea if the thing would even run again. Luckily the motor turned over with a fresh battery and after putting 36 psi of air in each tire you could actually push the bike to the trailer. I had to try and bring this bike back to life. The tank had to be thoroughly cleaned and the fuel pump replaced. Fuel injectors were taken off and sent out for cleaning or replacing if necessary. Brake pads, lines, and fluids replaced fore and aft. Radiator flushed, new thermostat, hoses and clamps. New spark plugs. New x-ring chain. Obviously new synthetic oil and filter for good measure. New tires. Plenty of TLC and time. It was worth the effort. This is one fine running bike. It has a narrow rev range where there is minor vibration through the bars. I wear some pretty nice gloves so most of that is eliminated. The seat is a little wooden but not bad enough to be replaced. A new corbin would look a little odd on this ol' girl. She does have some cosmetic issues. A couple of minor dents in the tank. Some minor rust remains in some nooks and crannys that I haven't been able to eliminate. Park this baby in the shade and that flat black bike looks pretty darn good. She has turned in to a very capable bike which I trust to take me out and bring me home. I'm glad I decided to save her from the dumpster.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #231
Colorado_Rider
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrex View Post
Friend of mine gave me his 02 919 last summer. He is in the military and transferring overseas and couldn't take it with him, besides, it was in such a state of dis-repair it wasn't worth trying to fix (to him). It had sat outside unattended for approx. 3 years about 3 short blocks from the beautiful gulf of mexico and all it's salty glory. Frankly, it looked like it had been brought up from the titanic. I had know idea if the thing would even run again. Luckily the motor turned over with a fresh battery and after putting 36 psi of air in each tire you could actually push the bike to the trailer. I had to try and bring this bike back to life. The tank had to be thoroughly cleaned and the fuel pump replaced. Fuel injectors were taken off and sent out for cleaning or replacing if necessary. Brake pads, lines, and fluids replaced fore and aft. Radiator flushed, new thermostat, hoses and clamps. New spark plugs. New x-ring chain. Obviously new synthetic oil and filter for good measure. New tires. Plenty of TLC and time. It was worth the effort. This is one fine running bike. It has a narrow rev range where there is minor vibration through the bars. I wear some pretty nice gloves so most of that is eliminated. The seat is a little wooden but not bad enough to be replaced. A new corbin would look a little odd on this ol' girl. She does have some cosmetic issues. A couple of minor dents in the tank. Some minor rust remains in some nooks and crannys that I haven't been able to eliminate. Park this baby in the shade and that flat black bike looks pretty darn good. She has turned in to a very capable bike which I trust to take me out and bring me home. I'm glad I decided to save her from the dumpster.
That wasn't luck, it's a Honda You got any pictures of that thing? Before than after?


I didn't like the Ninja because it felt like I was kneeling on the seat, you feel like your's totally on top of it. It's exactly what it's supposed to be, a comfortable literbike. That could very well appeal to many riders but not those that truly love the 919. It's harder to ride, buzzier, runs 5500K at 75mph, the flywheel is superlight and makes shifting a pain the ass. It's a great bike but I jumped back on my 919 and realized it's all the bike I'll ever need, and I plan on doing some pretty big trips on it. The 919 needs many mods to make that happen but the essentials are there in spades. it makes you feel like a hero when properly modded out, suspension and all.

Colorado_Rider screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 01:17 PM
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #232
kingrex
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
How are you getting 200 miles? I ride 95% highway at a sedate 4800 RPM on top gear & I get 150 max before the light comes on. New plugs, new filter, fresh oil, new chain & sprockets. Ideas?>
I'm not a highway man. Neck is too bad a shape to ride a naked bike on the slab. I ride primarily backroads @ 50-60 mph and easily get 50 mpg. Of course I'm cruising at less than 3,500 rpms. That helps. I'm still amazed that these bikes get scooter mileage. My zrx1200r gets right at 50 mpg with similar riding. My bmw r1200r averages 54 mpg. Who the heck would want to ride a scooter anyway? Jut say'n.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #233
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrex View Post
I'm not a highway man. Neck is too bad a shape to ride a naked bike on the slab. I ride primarily backroads @ 50-60 mph and easily get 50 mpg. Of course I'm cruising at less than 3,500 rpms. That helps. I'm still amazed that these bikes get scooter mileage. My zrx1200r gets right at 50 mpg with similar riding. My bmw r1200r averages 54 mpg. Who the heck would want to ride a scooter anyway? Jut say'n.
If the bolded part said "I ride primarily around town" you'd be "Just say'n"
"Who wants to ride a manual gearbox around town?!".

__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #234
Colorado_Rider
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrex View Post
I'm not a highway man. Neck is too bad a shape to ride a naked bike on the slab. I ride primarily backroads @ 50-60 mph and easily get 50 mpg. Of course I'm cruising at less than 3,500 rpms. That helps. I'm still amazed that these bikes get scooter mileage. My zrx1200r gets right at 50 mpg with similar riding. My bmw r1200r averages 54 mpg. Who the heck would want to ride a scooter anyway? Jut say'n.
That's what I thought until I put a National Cycle screen on it. The bike went from impossible on the highway to totally rideable.

As for putting a screen on a naked bike, that's my choice and would argue till I'm blue in the face about why I got a naked in the first place, because the 919 isn't just a 900RR with the plastic ripped off, it has all the right changes in all the right places.

Stock, it's good at everything, best at nothing.

Properly modified, it's best at everything!
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #235
kingrex
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
That's what I thought until I put a National Cycle screen on it. The bike went from impossible on the highway to totally rideable.

As for putting a screen on a naked bike, that's my choice and would argue till I'm blue in the face about why I got a naked in the first place, because the 919 isn't just a 900RR with the plastic ripped off, it has all the right changes in all the right places.

Stock, it's good at everything, best at nothing.

Properly modified, it's best at everything!
My 919 has the honda fly screen. I think it makes some difference but it is minimal. I'm definitely going to put an adequate windshield on both my 919 and r1200r. I'm not overly concerned about the looks. I certainly don't want a barn door but a nice compromise between function and form. National cycle was my choice too.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #236
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: ANKENY, IOWA
Oddometer: 255
I like clean air, no screen/shield for me..........

Had a Honda flyscreen and all it did(IMO) was keep my gauges clean...
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #237
Colorado_Rider
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrex View Post
My 919 has the honda fly screen. I think it makes some difference but it is minimal. I'm definitely going to put an adequate windshield on both my 919 and r1200r. I'm not overly concerned about the looks. I certainly don't want a barn door but a nice compromise between function and form. National cycle was my choice too.

From what I gather I Honda screen doesn't do much. If you want something big enough to make a difference, it's going to look out of place on a naked bike.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #238
arshishb
Studly Adventurer
 
arshishb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Edison, NJ
Oddometer: 851
If any of you don't want the Honda fly screen, I will take it
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #239
Redrock54
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: CLEVELAND,TENN
Oddometer: 61
windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
That's what I thought until I put a National Cycle screen on it. The bike went from impossible on the highway to totally rideable.

As for putting a screen on a naked bike, that's my choice and would argue till I'm blue in the face about why I got a naked in the first place, because the 919 isn't just a 900RR with the plastic ripped off, it has all the right changes in all the right places.

Stock, it's good at everything, best at nothing.

Properly modified, it's best at everything!
which model national cycle windshield did you use on your 919?
Redrock54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #240
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer
 
Jnich77's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando Fl
Oddometer: 636
I have the national cycle F-16 and I can tell a difference with it on. I can also tell a difference depending on how it is adjusted. It makes a noticeable difference in helmet buffeting and wind noise. The mount is really sturdy and easy to adjust. I powder coated the brackets black so it matched the rest of powder coated bits on the bike. Doesn't do much to deflect rain though...lol.







Old pics, I have powder coated the triple tree, painted the lower clamp satin black, and wrapped the top part of the forks between the clamps with black-retroreflective vinyl. Also painted the headlight trim ring with plastidip. Sorry for the crappy pics, all I have right now.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014