Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
twistti OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Do you guys change the oil as often as the XR manuals say?

I always thought the XR motors didnt need to be serviced as frequently as it says (around 1000kms depending on model)?
Im planning a trip from nth to sth america and deciding on a bike, of course i dont want to be changing oil every 2 tanks of fuel.....

So riding on road/open fire trails, how often would you change it?

Im tossing up between a XR 400-600-650
twistti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,371
its all up to you.
use full synthetic for more miles
Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
motorrat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Don`t know. havn`t got an XR manual nor an XR but maybe the answer is in the 1236 XR pages, or pop your question there

keep it tidy here!
motorrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Yes. $10 in oil is cheap.

Spend $3k on your motor and you will do it more often.

Use a filter magnet, drain plug magnet too.

Do not use reusable oil filters like K&N. Why would you want to reuse something that cost $3?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Do not use reusable oil filters like K&N. Why would you want to reuse something that cost $3?
Possibly because you're in the jungles of central America and don't have convenient access to parts.

I change my oil more often than the manual suggests. I would use oil that is commonly available, maybe 15w40 diesel oil, and change it as often as is convenient when in remote areas.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
condershire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Possibly because you're in the jungles of central America and don't have convenient access to parts.
Carry more oil filters, on the XR they are small and should pack fine, you'll only need 2 or 3. Furthermore, you do not need to change the filter every oil change, I change my oil every 500 ~ 1,000 miles, filter gets changed every 2,000 miles. You could probably get away with 3,000 miles for the filter or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I change my oil more often than the manual suggests. I would use oil that is commonly available, maybe 15w40 diesel oil, and change it as often as is convenient when in remote areas.
As I recall, Shell marketed "Helix" as a universal or diesel motor oil abroad, should be easy enough to find...

I did not shop for XR oil filters when I was in Central America, but I cannot imagine they would be hard to find. Do your research before you go, compile a part number cross reference, research what bikes are ridden down there, I bet you'll find a motorcycle which is ridden by the locals having the same filter.

The first place I would look would be the Honda Powersports page for that region in addition to various forums, Google translate comes in quite handy if you cannot speak Spanish...
condershire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
condershire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
yes. $10 in oil is cheap.

Spend $3k on your motor and you will do it more often.

Use a filter magnet, drain plug magnet too.

Do not use reusable oil filters like k&n. Why would you want to reuse something that cost $3?
+1!
condershire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Elvis!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Here in argentina you can get an xr600 oil filter for about 5 U$. They are common because some Honda models here share the same filter (tornado, twister, Falcón)

Also, you can get any brand of oil for about 5/15 U$, depending on the brand.
The most common brand is shell or YPF, they have stations all over the country, even in the most remote places.

FYI, OEM xr600 parts here are easy to get, but not cheap. For example: drive chain: 100 u$. Accel. Cable: 25 u$. Rims: 300 u$. Tires: 100 u$. After market parts are cheaper (Japan & China). Local made parts are not very good quality.

Enjoy your trip.
Elvis! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
My 650L lets me know when it is time for new oil. The shift quality goes downhill pretty quickly. It's always around a thousand miles.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
focallength
?

Oddometer: 4,388
Did mine every 500, or after very dusty rides.
focallength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,440
this whole place here has got this weird phobia thing about changing oil... really?....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistti View Post
I always thought the XR motors didnt need to be serviced as frequently as it says (around 1000kms depending on model)?
Im planning a trip from nth to sth america and deciding on a bike, of course i dont want to be changing oil every 2 tanks of fuel.....

So riding on road/open fire trails, how often would you change it?

Im tossing up between a XR 400-600-650
On my 200, I change oil about every 300 miles, or after about 5 rides. It usually still looks clean when I change it. Better to have peace of mind. It's so easy on this bike; why be lazy?

A mechanic told me the crap on the clutch falls off into the oil and is bad for the engine. Change it often. It's not like a car engine, where you chance every 3000 miles.

The CRF racing four strokes should be changed after every ride. So if 1000kms is too much for you, you never want to buy a modern four stroke like CRF.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
twistti OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I understand why they should be changed at such a rate, but given that I change my oil every 5000kms in my speed triple for harder riding that the XR will ever receive, I was just curious.

I have a ktm 450sxf that I change every 5hrs, don't want to be doing that once a day in the middle of nowhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twistti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,018
The manual for the xr650l calls for 2000 mile 3000km oil changes are you talking about the 650R
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
My 650L lets me know when it is time for new oil. The shift quality goes downhill pretty quickly. It's always around a thousand miles.
When I had an XR650L sometimes It be months maybe 2-3K between oil changes, sometimes it'd be a just a few days of blasting sand trails in Florida <100 miles. Once it started shifting bad I knew it was time for an oil change.

If I were planning on doing mainly secondary roads on a long trip 3K+ mile oil change intervals would probably be fine. The XR needs to have the jetting fattened up over the factory jetting to help it run cooler. Running lean and hot will break down the oil faster. Running in dusty conditions also seemed to degrade the oil faster (I ran a K&N filter which doesn't do as good of a job as a paper element but helps the engine get more air in and make more power).

A properly jetted XR with clean filters could probably go well beyond 3K with a high end synthetic oil. The only way to scientifically prove this, would be to send off used oil samples to a lab to have them analyze the oil. Keep stretching the intervals out each time to determine the longest practical interval.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote