Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #1741
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 715
BTW, here a few pics of the FZR600 shock installation that I forgot to take until today for RWBWheel.

This is a FZR shock with a remote reservoir:

It has to be mounted upside down on the BW. This fork is the end that gets mounted under the seat:

Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #1742
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

The fork fits perfectly into the upper mount on the 350. (most Yamaha shocks of the 80s and 90s have the same architecture and dimensions, except for length):

The hose for the reservoir must be secured to the frame in a manner that allows it to flex with the swing arm's movement:

Old 11-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #1743
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

The reservoir needs to be secured to the frame. Make sure you mount the shock so the hose exits away from the exhaust. A strip of rubberized tape and a hose clamp finish off the job in an inelegant fashion:

There are some nice, sano billet clamps that would do a much better job than the hose clamp but that will have to wait until this project is finished:

Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #1744
supertarmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Hey guys, I apologize if this question pops out twice, but I am having some trouble posting.

To my fellow BW200 owners:

I changed my oil yesterday, and found a lot of metal and non-metal particles in the filter. I am wondering if this is because the bike has such low hours that the previous owner never changed / cleaned the filter, or if this is normal in these bikes?

I did a little research and found some guys on the TW200 forum that said that particles on their filters on every oil change is normal, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

Have your filters ever looked like this?

Many thanks in advance!
supertarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #1745
55voodoo
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks Mr. BW!!!!

Your videos are the reason I bought one!!! Now if I could just persuade the wife to let me buy that 350 I would be all set.....of course 5 minutes after I buy it Yamaha will release a new 400 BW with EFI, Disks and a Flux Capacitor for $3000.

Long live the Big Wheels

Also is there a PDF for Repair Manuals....looking for the '85 BW200
55voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #1746
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

55voodoo,

Please make every effort to buy a 350. The BW400 sounds really good and the rest of us will be in your debt.

The manuals used to be available on the Google group site but now everything seems to be unavailable since the big overhaul.

The easiest thing might be to buy a manual on CD from one of the pirates on ebay for under $10.00. Buy the cheapest one you can find because the pirates are just burning copies on .25 cent blank CDs. There is also a paper version available for considerably more, if you are Old School.

supertarmac,

I subscribe to the old axiom: If you can't read a serial number on it, then don't worry about it.

Most of the non-metallic particulates are just bits of carbon. I would use some cheap oil and change it a few times with shorter intervals than you would ordinarily. I think your oil will start to run a lot cleaner once you change it a few times and the old crud gets flushed. At some point in their lives, these bikes seem to be garage queens that don't see much maintenance.

Are any of the particles ferrous? Can you pick them up with a magnet?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #1747
RWBWheel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Question Big-Wheel Database lost ..

Since the Yahoo Big-wheel group is VERY unhappy with the new format and the loss of access to all their shared files what if we were to duplicate those efforts for all to access again? Since this site doesn't have the function could we as a group start a Photobucket page where we post the password so all can use it to post PDF's Etc. to their for manuals and service related documents for all to have access to ?? It would take a little time for all to add to and rebuild , but at least all would be able to get to the information ?? Just a crazy idea...
RWBWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #1748
supertarmac
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BigWheel View Post
55voodoo,

supertarmac,

I subscribe to the old axiom: If you can't read a serial number on it, then don't worry about it.

Most of the non-metallic particulates are just bits of carbon. I would use some cheap oil and change it a few times with shorter intervals than you would ordinarily. I think your oil will start to run a lot cleaner once you change it a few times and the old crud gets flushed. At some point in their lives, these bikes seem to be garage queens that don't see much maintenance.

Are any of the particles ferrous? Can you pick them up with a magnet?
Mr BigWheel,

Thanks for the advice. I have already done 3 oil changes since I got it to try to get all of the old stuff out, but it wasn't until yesterday that I was able to gain access to the filter (one of the bolts was giving me some trouble).

I gave the magnet a try and YES some of the particles are ferrous. I read this is probably from the gears? Do you guys get this normally?

The bolts looked like they had never been touched before to clean the filter. Maybe these particles are from the break in I hope?
Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #1749
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken

Oddometer: 63
race ready, probably not!

http://youtu.be/hC53t6_6HjM

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #1750
yupper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertarmac View Post
Thanks!!

Your 350 looks awesome. Lucky you to have both. Is the difference in power between them HUGE?
Thanks! It was a lucky couple of weeks finding these, and somewhat surprisingly, my wife was supportive of the purchase. I'll be interested to see others who have ridden both comment as well. Rode both today back-to-back, and both had no problem running over anything on my land (woods, moderate hills and berms, a few decent straightaways) . The 350 has amazing low end power in my opinion, and the 200 is very nimble and quick. I'm pretty light (160#), which is not much of a challenge for these beasts. Plus, I'm still a bit of a noob rider, and I haven't really had the guts to really let these rip. Longer ride planned for this weekend. Looking forward to snow!
yupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #1751
vroom_vroom
screaming chicken

Oddometer: 63
its funny how mr. big wheel can make you look forward to snow!

'86 Bw 200
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #1752
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Or not look forward to Endurocrosss: Another world premier, right here on e the ADV BW SUV thread!!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #1753
yupper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Looks like fun!?

That video is the best evidence of need for a nut cup I've seen in awhile!
Who's the lucky little shredder with the BW80?

Keep the videos coming! Best thing on YT! I appreciate all of the time and effort that goes into putting these together-very cool.
yupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #1754
supertarmac
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupper View Post
Thanks! It was a lucky couple of weeks finding these, and somewhat surprisingly, my wife was supportive of the purchase. I'll be interested to see others who have ridden both comment as well. Rode both today back-to-back, and both had no problem running over anything on my land (woods, moderate hills and berms, a few decent straightaways) . The 350 has amazing low end power in my opinion, and the 200 is very nimble and quick. I'm pretty light (160#), which is not much of a challenge for these beasts. Plus, I'm still a bit of a noob rider, and I haven't really had the guts to really let these rip. Longer ride planned for this weekend. Looking forward to snow!
Sounds great!! Hope you have a lot of fun!! Take some pics!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #1755
MrParty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Max Rider Weight for BW200?

I am interested in buying a BW200 but was
wondering about the Max rider weight.
I am a big guy who weighs 230.
Would I wreck this Bike? I read that theTW200
Has a rider weight of 396. Would the BW be similar?
I am just looking to do trail riding, nothing hardcore.
Thanks in advance!
PS Sorry if I posted in the wrong area.
MrParty is offline   Reply With Quote