Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #64411
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I tried both. Neither worked so the bracket is sitting in my parts bin.

It didn't matter fore or aft. When mounted it wouldn't let the tank sit down far enough for the lower brackets to reach the mounting holes and to rest on the rubber mount supplied with the tank.

I posted a diagram a couple(dozen) pages back. Here it is. I didn't include the rubber spacer in the drawing. This is where the spacer would be sitting if the tank was forced over it. Its not supposed to be pulled apart that far. I'm sure vibration would wear a hole(s) in the tank in no time at all.

After much time studying that bracket, in either hole, I came to the same conclusion, that it would eventually eat a hole in the tank. I have been running without it for several years now with no problems.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #64412
marlinjames
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
a bunch of stock take off parts

I have a shit load of parts i've taken off my bike. hoping to make some room in the garage.
marlinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #64413
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
After much time studying that bracket, in either hole, I came to the same conclusion, that it would eventually eat a hole in the tank. I have been running without it for several years now with no problems.
That is why I made the plastic plugs for the end of mine. You can see one in this picture.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #64414
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
That's kind of a personal preference , but I prefer the front hole. Ask your girl what she prefers.

Just hit one, she will get use to it.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #64415
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Got out for what will probably the last ride of the season today. The conditions were EPIC! Nice and moist, but not too much mud. Didn't hit snow until late in the ride.
And here I am waiting for my riding season to START...it's going to be almost 80 degrees tomorrow and everything is dry,loose and dusty!
I like it wet,tight and no dust.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #64416
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I tried both. Neither worked so the bracket is sitting in my parts bin.

It didn't matter fore or aft. When mounted it wouldn't let the tank sit down far enough for the lower brackets to reach the mounting holes and to rest on the rubber mount supplied with the tank.

I posted a diagram a couple(dozen) pages back. Here it is. I didn't include the rubber spacer in the drawing. This is where the spacer would be sitting if the tank was forced over it. Its not supposed to be pulled apart that far. I'm sure vibration would wear a hole(s) in the tank in no time at all.
Whew! I thought I was the only one that had that problem. I was worried about it rubbing a hole in my tank as well. I considered putting some kind of rubber plugs on the ends, but the interference was so great, I just decided not to even try it. The stock rubber tank "pads" do a great job of securing the tank anyway. Just make sure you don't get any wires pinched in between them and the tank. I had a hot wire running through there going to my GPS and did a very poor job of routing it. Came in to work one day and my bike was smoking from under the tank! Didn't take long to figure out my problem after pulling the tank... wished I hadn't just filled the thing up though.

Greg
Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #64417
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
That is why I made the plastic plugs for the end of mine. You can see one in this picture.

Walter
Rubber plugs aren't the issue. I had the stock plugs on my bracket like the directions say to use.

The issue is vertical clearance of the bracket to the tank. If you notice in my sketch the bracket is up into the narrowest portion of the tank, not the next widest section below where its supposed to fit and help keep the tank from lateral movement. There is a recess with ears fore and aft on the tank at that spot made specifically for the bracket to rest/fit into.
On some installations it doesn't work. Can't explain why but it doesn't.

I even smashed the tube bracket in to an oval shape hoping it would help lower the tank. No go...The tank was still about 1/2" too high.

bwalsh screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 06:25 AM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #64418
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
Whew! I thought I was the only one that had that problem. I was worried about it rubbing a hole in my tank as well. I considered putting some kind of rubber plugs on the ends, but the interference was so great, I just decided not to even try it. The stock rubber tank "pads" do a great job of securing the tank anyway. Just make sure you don't get any wires pinched in between them and the tank. I had a hot wire running through there going to my GPS and did a very poor job of routing it. Came in to work one day and my bike was smoking from under the tank! Didn't take long to figure out my problem after pulling the tank... wished I hadn't just filled the thing up though.

Greg
If the two metal brackets that connect to the wing mounts were 1/2" longer the inside bracket would fit in its recess on the tank perfectly...but then the tank wouldn't be resting on the rubber stop on top of the tank. Catch 22...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #64419
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
does anybody know what the best winter oil is?

Brown colored oil.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #64420
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,009
Earth brown or chocolate brown
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #64421
6xMonsters
Turd Ferguson

Oddometer: 42
Bluhduh

Ok, here's the situation. When they got the bike, the fired it up to give it a listen and heard the knocking I reported. Their first step was to start adding oil to see what its level was. They were apparently able to add around 1.5 quarts to it! This means the top end is likely fried to a significant degree.

There's a fair chance I'm a moron, and I can cope with that as long as I can figure out this mystery. The Honda tech said there was no residue on the exhaust that would indicate the bike burns significant oil, and no indication of leak anywhere else. The bike is garage kept and there is no oil on my floor. It has 2400ish miles on it, with less than 2k on the current oil change. I've never smelled burning oil or seen smoke come from the bike ever. It's a brand new 2013 and I can't figure out where 70% of the bike's oil went over the course of one month of riding and why there was no indicator that it was burning up (smell or smoke). As I said in my first post, I checked the oil in the parking lot after I pulled over. It was leaned on the stand, which I know can give a skewed reading, but at only 30% oil, I would think I would need to lay the bike almost on its side just to register oil level on the dip stick. Does this bike really burn THAT much oil even when new? Am I the dumb one for not checking it every day?

Another bump in the road with this problem is the dealer I took it to is changing owners and is not doing warranty or service work, meaning I need to go pick it up and drop it off at a different one on the other side of town and work with a bunch of new guys on getting it up and running. I'm going to still try and get it warrantied because I'd prefer not to pay a thousand dollars. Worse case, I'll just be mad for a little while and probably drunk for a few days after I fork over all that money. I love my XRL and just want the damn thing working again. I hate driving a car.

I'll post more updates as they come about the full problem. I'm going to try and get pictures of the parts. They have to send them off to Honda anyway to make a decision on the warranty.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #64422
6xMonsters
Turd Ferguson

Oddometer: 42
Unrelated to my above post, what do you guys think of the racks by TCI Products? I've been eyeballing this one since before I got the XRL: https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=746

I planned on ordering used pelicans on eBay for the side cases for when I need the load up for travel. The rack appears to only mount to the subframe, so I also looked around for supports and found these: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-xr650l-silver

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #64423
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Thumpers burn oil, especially at highway speed, at least thats what I have heard. I check my oil upon pulling into my garage about every other ride (short commute). 2000 miles is also a fairly large amount on an oil change from what I hear.

I'm surprised you were able to get an oil reading if it was massively low.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #64424
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
I'd like to know what method they used to add the oil, and how they determined how much it would take.

I'd also like to see a measuring of how much comes out of the frame and the sump when they drain it.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #64425
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,009
x2
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote