User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #9106
Elvis!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
She is alive!!

Still work to be done, but almost there.

*don't laugh at my horn.

Elvis! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #9107
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...

Oddometer: 64
Beautiful time capsule!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #9108
osok
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
2000 XR600R want to trade for a plated wife bike

Seems I ride the 400 more than the XR6 and the wife wants to start riding again... looking for something dual sported that can be easily kick started or has the magic button. The bike I'm looking for also needs to be low or have the capability of being lowered to fit her 5'3"

The XR600r is CA plated and is fairly clean. I've had it about a year and half and haven't had it out much. It has an aftermarket silencer but other than that it appears stock. As far as the dualsport kit on this bike... there isn't much there. One mirror, a headlight, and tail lamp - that's it. It is currently registered.

I'm in Creston CA 93432 if anyone wants to check it out. I can also send pics via email if needed. PM me or email me at horsepower-ranch@sbcglobal.net

I haven't posted this in the flea market yet... wanted to see if any of you guys were interested in a trade first.

thanks,
steve
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #9109
3_85_600s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
WTB Desert gas tank for 85 XR600, would a 88 XR600 tank work?

I'm looking for a Desert gas tank (larger than stock size - the bigger the better) for a 85 Honda XR600 that's in fair/useable shape. Tank does not have to be pretty. Faded & scratched up is just fine. If you have one or might know someone who does, send me a PM.

UPDATE: An inmate contacted me and said he has a Clark Desert tank that's on a 88 XR600. Would the tank off the 88 bolt right on my 85 XR600 without making any modifications?

Thank you for your time.
3_85_600s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #9110
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,654
http://clarkemfg.com/honda-xr-xl-c-1_27.html

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #9111
3_85_600s
Adventurer

It looks like the Clark tanks for the 88 XR600 will only fit 88-2000, so it will not work on my 85.

Thanks for the link, Steve
Old 11-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #9112
heart_of_darkness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_of_darkness View Post
How is the rebound needle removed from the shock shaft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
You remove the clevis to remove the adjustment rod but to remove the actual tapered needle that controls the rebound/compression bleed you have to CAREFULLY remove the shock shaft peening and have a special end nut to hold it in when reassembling it.
Can you give me more help with this? When I look at the shock shaft, the top channel through the shaft has a lot more material than just a normal thin peened over edge that I've seen in other shocks. The diameter of that channel is the same for over 1/4" downward until the seat for the needle. And looking at the bottom of the needle, through the shaft from the clevis end, it seems to be probably three times the diameter of the passage through the top of the rod. Am I missing something obvious?
heart_of_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #9113
heart_of_darkness
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_85_600s View Post
It looks like the Clark tanks for the 88 XR600 will only fit 88-2000, so it will not work on my 85.

Thanks for the link, Steve
Maybe the '85 shares the tank mounting system with the XL600? Does it attach to the front of the frame with two bolts that screw in laterally, or does the frame have two peg shaped nubs with cylindrical rubber bushings around them?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #9114
3_85_600s
Adventurer

XR600 Gas tank

The 85 XR600 has two bolts mount to the frame and the rear of the tank has a rubber strap. The 85 XL600 has the rubber bushings up front and a single bolt holding the rear. Clark gas tank mfg says the 85 XR600 gas tank will fit the XR600 (85-87)
Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #9115
idler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
can one of you guys tell me if the earlier and later output shafts are interchangable? i.e. would i be able to sling a newer version in to replace my 6 spline version?

thanks
idler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #9116
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,654
I'm pretty sure that they are interchangable.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #9117
Beltway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Greetings, all!

Just bought an XR628R from a fellow inmate. Ad found here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=xr628r+street

It is a glorious bike, with lots of tasty goodies. Unfortunately it does have a few niggling problems that I could use advice on.

The Edelbrock Quicksilver II carb is giving me trouble at cold starts. Spent 1/2 an hour kicking it the other day with nothing to show for it but a bruised right foot. I followed proper procedure and it'd run for a few seconds, but then die. Seems like fuel starvation, possibly linked to an issue with the accelerator pump. I know that this carb has been discontinued and that parts are becoming scarce. I need to pull it and check things out, but I am hesitant to put much time into learning about a discontinued and unloved carb when I could sell it and pick up something with better support and community knowledge. The question is, what to get? I've heard the Mikuni TC series are nice, as are the FCRs. What I want is easy starting and smooth performance through the range and I'm willing to sacrifice ultimate WFO power to get it. Based on what I've read, the Mikuni sounds like the better choice for my needs. Which model? Is there a good plug and play option with an accelerator pump?

The other issue is with the electrical system. It is all AC, with a DRG/Dirt Freak dual-sport kit. The turn signal relay is not designed for AC so keeps burning out. I installed a standard relay but it didn't work either. I'm thinking it may be wise to hook a rectifier to one side of the Ricky stator to supply DC to the turn signals, horn, Vapor and other accessories, then leave the other side AC for the headlight and ignition. Does this make sense to anybody?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Beltway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #9118
heart_of_darkness
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltway View Post

The other issue is with the electrical system. It is all AC, with a DRG/Dirt Freak dual-sport kit. The turn signal relay is not designed for AC so keeps burning out. I installed a standard relay but it didn't work either. I'm thinking it may be wise to hook a rectifier to one side of the Ricky stator to supply DC to the turn signals, horn, Vapor and other accessories, then leave the other side AC for the headlight and ignition. Does this make sense to anybody?

I think an old school non-electronic relay should work on AC. You'll want non-LED turn signals.

It's possible to run a split AC and DC system, but easier and simpler to run a single DC system. Either Ricky Stator or Trail tech for a reg/rectifier. You'll additionally need a capacitor or battery for the rectifier to function correctly.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #9119
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Greetings, all!

It is a glorious bike, with lots of tasty goodies. Unfortunately it does have a few niggling problems that I could use advice on.

The Edelbrock Quicksilver II carb is giving me trouble at cold starts. Spent 1/2 an hour kicking it the other day with nothing to show for it but a bruised right foot. I followed proper procedure and it'd run for a few seconds, but then die. Seems like fuel starvation, possibly linked to an issue with the accelerator pump. I know that this carb has been discontinued and that parts are becoming scarce. I need to pull it and check things out, but I am hesitant to put much time into learning about a discontinued and unloved carb when I could sell it and pick up something with better support and community knowledge. The question is, what to get? I've heard the Mikuni TC series are nice, as are the FCRs. What I want is easy starting and smooth performance through the range and I'm willing to sacrifice ultimate WFO power to get it. Based on what I've read, the Mikuni sounds like the better choice for my needs. Which model? Is there a good plug and play option with an accelerator pump?

My XR6 has a TC carb. It took me a while to shake it out, but now have it running pretty good. Easy to start, hot or cold for most part. With that said, it has a small flat spot in the middle just past 1/3 throttle. Comes on hard after that, but is annoying.

Personally, I'd look for a Keihen FCR or similar pumper carb first. I'm on the prowl for one, but not desperate as mine runs just fine with the current setup. The FCR will give you the most HP and biggest kick in the pants from the seat.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #9120
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Greetings, all!

I just spent the last two weeks installing a trailtech ac dc rectifier regulator, vapor speedo, cheap led turnstalks, an led capable relay, a battery, led aux lights, control switches for all systems on my '93 xr600r.

Very easy to do.

I tapped the rectifier into the ac headlight feed and then ran the headlight on dc.
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote