Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #5056
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Lots of good info here:, http://www.spokanister.net/ktm_acerbis.htm

I sourced a second compact petcock (same as Acerbis includes on rhs) to avoid using the OEM on the relatively exposed lhs location

HTH
PERFECT! I think it also shows I'm missing a couple parts from the tank- mainly the support bars and hoses. Learning learning learning... Thanks!

EDIT: I just did some quick checking and it looks like they don't sell replacement hardware. But honestly, those bars look easy enough to fab (read: bend a couple pieces of steel) and the fuel hose and "Y" connection should be easy enough to sort...

longtallsally screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 09:46 PM
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #5057
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
PERFECT! I think it also shows I'm missing a couple parts from the tank- mainly the support bars and hoses. Learning learning learning... Thanks!
You have the spacers? Usually these are what goes missing, I had to spin up a new set on the lathe as my tank was missing them. Unfortunately Acerbis doesn't (or at least didn't 3 years ago) stock spares for the tank. Some people grind off the captive nut instead of using the cupped spacer. The support bars you're missing are a complex bend, best bet is to find someone who'll loan you a set so you can duplicate. If you're missing the long flange bolt you can source in 10.9 from a specialty supplier (I wasn't sold on the long A2 stainless one Acerbis provides since the OEM is 10.9). Motion Pro makes great fuel hose, expensive but won't rot. Good luck!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #5058
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer: 192
Best place to get the big Acerbis tank?

Anyone know of a good deal on the Acerbis 6.6 gall tank?
My one has sprung a leak!
espressodrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #5059
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressodrinker View Post
Anyone know of a good deal on the Acerbis 6.6 gall tank?
My one has sprung a leak!
Don't know if it's the best deal, but justgastanks.com is $332.50 if you use the 5% ADV discount (code is "Advrider"):

http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=337
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431761
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #5060
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,379
i'm listenin'..... i've got one too that i've yet to put on.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #5061
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
You have the spacers? Usually these are what goes missing, I had to spin up a new set on the lathe as my tank was missing them. Unfortunately Acerbis doesn't (or at least didn't 3 years ago) stock spares for the tank. Some people grind off the captive nut instead of using the cupped spacer. The support bars you're missing are a complex bend, best bet is to find someone who'll loan you a set so you can duplicate. If you're missing the long flange bolt you can source in 10.9 from a specialty supplier (I wasn't sold on the long A2 stainless one Acerbis provides since the OEM is 10.9). Motion Pro makes great fuel hose, expensive but won't rot. Good luck!
Nah the spacers are gone too- it appears I literally have just the tank. The spacers are really the only thing I was worried about as I thought the bolt would be pretty easy to get at a decent hardware store, as well as the bars.

I figure I can do some measurements, and/or make a simple template to do the bends as it just looks like 2 (and even on the site you provided, he had to bend a little) and I'd need to get the angles correct.

Putting a guard or smaller petcock seems to be an issue as well. I like to fall down, so keeping it safe is a priority.

I'm going to try Acerbis USA today and see if I get lucky, or maybe some suggestions.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #5062
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Called Acerbis and they had the bolt! They are putting it in the mail today.

The gentleman I talked to said the bars were as easy as I thought and the spacers can be easily replaced with washers. Cool! I'll post up what I end up with if anyone is interested.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #5063
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
and the spacers can be easily replaced with washers.
The flat spacer could be but the above doesn't seem a great solution for the cupped one that covers the captive nut on the frame.

I've never felt it necessary to make a petcock guard but as I said, I use a smaller petcock on the lhs.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #5064
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
The flat spacer could be but the above doesn't seem a great solution for the cupped one that covers the captive nut on the frame.

I've never felt it necessary to make a petcock guard but as I said, I use a smaller petcock on the lhs.
I see now what you mean:

Hmmm... Suggestions? I agree in that I don't like the thought of just putting a couple washers on top of the welded nut on the frame with those fingers exposed. The old McMaster Carr might have something as well, but I'm I'm not sure.

Something that just came to mind is that I could use a socket that is laying around for the spacer. I would probably have to bore out the ratchet side to allow clearance of the bolt through, but that might be a simple solution depending on the depth needed.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #5065
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Something that just came to mind is that I could use a socket that is laying around for the spacer. I would probably have to bore out the ratchet side to allow clearance of the bolt through, but that might be a simple solution depending on the depth needed.
If you're going to go to the trouble of boring out a ratchet, just have someone make you one on a lathe. Simple job, maybe post in your regional forum, I bet you'll find someone who can make one for a case of beer. If you need the dimensions PM me and I can send them to you.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #5066
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,377
Getting someone to make them up on a lathe is the best option but if you don't have any luck there you can make up 2 collars easy enough out of a piece of 1" steel tubing, tack a couple washers to the pieces of pipe and you're good. Going into a machine shop cold will probably cost ya, anytime I get something made it's a min of $40, sort of expensive for those.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #5067
oregonlmd
Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer: 156
I'm not suggesting you NOT use them, and I always ran them on mine, but I know some have not installed the support bars and have not had an issue with not using them.
oregonlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #5068
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,564
longtallsally.... if you can wait until DVDAZE, you can inspect my 6.6 tank.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #5069
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
longtallsally.... if you can wait until DVDAZE, you can inspect my 6.6 tank.
Thanks! That's probably the next time I'll want it and hope to have it mounted then, but I'd like to see a "correct" mount.

The suggestion of taking some tube and welding a washer to it sounds good as well- I figured I could easily redneck inganere something, and that sounds like a really good idea. Another one might be to just find a pipe cap that is pretty close and drill a hole for the bolt. I'll go snoop around and see what I find.

Thanks for all the help, guys.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #5070
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Thanks! That's probably the next time I'll want it and hope to have it mounted then, but I'd like to see a "correct" mount.

The suggestion of taking some tube and welding a washer to it sounds good as well- I figured I could easily redneck inganere something, and that sounds like a really good idea. Another one might be to just find a pipe cap that is pretty close and drill a hole for the bolt. I'll go snoop around and see what I find.

Thanks for all the help, guys.
I can text you pics of my tank accessories. hit me up.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote