Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #12121
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
+1

I have a 2013 and I weigh in at a healthy 250lbs before gear. So for me, when commuting the front seemed stiff and the back felt soft. The forks got better after playing around with compression and rebound, but the rear still feels soft no matter what I do to the sag. Then a few weeks ago I finally got to spend a full day in the woods (lots of rocks and roots) and suddenly the forks felt great. The rear on the other hand felt controlled, but just way, way too soft. So rather than drop $1K on anything, I'll throw a new spring on over the winter and see what that does. I'm betting for the riding I do, that it will be all that's needed.
i carry a little screwdriver. honestly i dont remember what the rebound clicker is at exactly, maybe middle of the range, but the compression damper is 10 in for street riding, 15 if its gonna be twisty, and full out for dirt/fire/blm roads(which out here means washboard and choppy half buried bowling balls.)
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #12122
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Lightfighter When you say all the way out do you mean 20 clicks or back it out until it stops. chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #12123
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,153
full out, no clicks back in.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #12124
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I wonder what it would take to talk SP out of one of thse washers? I bought mine from KTM Twins back before that was included. It sure would make adjustments easier.
Maybe an email to KTM Twins is in order.
Even if you were uncomfortable using a Nadella bearing for this application, the hardened washers that come with it should work fine.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #12125
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
+1

I have a 2013 and I weigh in at a healthy 250lbs before gear. So for me, when commuting the front seemed stiff and the back felt soft. The forks got better after playing around with compression and rebound, but the rear still feels soft no matter what I do to the sag. Then a few weeks ago I finally got to spend a full day in the woods (lots of rocks and roots) and suddenly the forks felt great. The rear on the other hand felt controlled, but just way, way too soft. So rather than drop $1K on anything, I'll throw a new spring on over the winter and see what that does. I'm betting for the riding I do, that it will be all that's needed.
have you measured your rear sag?... overall extension, static, rider w/gear on standing on pegs?..... compared it to the manual?.... there's the deal, right there....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #12126
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Even if you were uncomfortable using a Nadella bearing for this application, the hardened washers that come with it should work fine.
What is a nadella bearing?

Sent from outside my mind.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #12127
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
have you measured your rear sag?... overall extension, static, rider w/gear on standing on pegs?..... compared it to the manual?.... there's the deal, right there....
Yes. When static sag is set properly I have approximately 2 or 3 times the required sag when I sit on the bike. And when I set the loaded sag correctly, I have no static sag at all. Spring is wrong for my weight.
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #12128
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
690 airbox replacement service bulletin

My local dealer acknowledged receiving this bulletin...and said, "bring in your old airbox, we send it to KTM Canada, and they send a new replacement....that is how warranty issues are handled.....KTM needs the old part before they ship a new replacement...to prove it's been replaced..."

So, when I want the 690 to sit for a few weeks while they play with themselves, I will remove the Safari to get at airbox....maybe get the valves checked/rocker arm issue examined, etc.

Any of you riders follow up with this issue yet?

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #12129
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
What is a nadella bearing?

Sent from outside my mind.

Google says:

Looks like Nadella is a bearing manufacturer that makes needle bearings.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #12130
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
My local dealer acknowledged receiving this bulletin...and said, "bring in your old airbox, we send it to KTM Canada, and they send a new replacement....that is how warranty issues are handled.....KTM needs the old part before they ship a new replacement...to prove it's been replaced..."
While I haven't been made aware of this issue, in the past, I have taken a bike to the dealer, who does the work (at no cost to me) right there on the spot and then they send it to the distributor. Your dealer won't do this?
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #12131
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
JB,
I will ask them that.....may I quote you as a credible reference?

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #12132
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,423
Quote:

So, when I want the 690 to sit for a few weeks while they play with themselves, I will remove the Safari to get at airbox....maybe get the valves checked/rocker arm issue examined, etc.

Any of you riders follow up with this issue yet?
I've had 2 speedo's and 1 radiator replaced under warranty and I never had to send the bad ones off before getting the replacements, although the very first rad I had already removed so I told them to send it off to determine if it would be covered since my bike was out of warranty then, the first replacement rad started leaking a week after I got it so they ordered up the second replacement while I still rode around with the leaky one. Maybe a difference between KTM Canada and KTM USA?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #12133
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Google says:

Looks like Nadella is a bearing manufacturer that makes needle bearings.
Yes. They also make flat needle thrust bearing as well. Think the outer part of the pictured bearing mated with hardened washers on both sides. The pictured style of bearing we use on push rod suspension bell cranks. While I did find some 2 mm thick hardened washers, so far, not in a size that is usable for this application. I'll keep looking.

The other possibility would be to use a Torrington thrust bearing/hardened washer combo, or just the washers. Should also be found at a bearing house, or an automatic transmission rebuilder.

sdd04 screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 03:08 PM
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #12134
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
Ok, before I spend money can I hear some yay or nay on what I think i need to do?

I'm 225 dressed to ride. I carry about 20lbs of luggage and crap.

My bike has 32mm of preload(I measured it, 188mm) into the shock spring. 40mm free sag. 135 mm of sag when me and my gear are mounted. I lifted to tail to make sure it's an 80 220 spring because those numbers seem odd.

I'm thinking I'll put a 9.5 from rallyraid on it, and skip the revalving for now(my second job evaporated on me, I'm broke!)

I'm also wondering if dumping the 5 weight fork oil for 2.5 might take some harsh out of the forks. That was a suggestion from a fellow redneck that seems too easy to be true.
I weigh ~225 dressed... today... I have played with different springs rates/ sag settings and am currently using a RallyRaid 95nm spring. I now have 14mm of preload (I had more before but found linkage bearings that needed replacement threw off my settings) to achieve 33% sag (94mm for my 285mm travel with modified shock) and ~25mm static sag. That is pretty much ideal. I had a 90nm rear spring before that could get my static/ race sag in spec but it took a bit more preload and I had a little less static sag, I find the 95nm (having less preload) to be more compliant on smaller bumps and not bottom as easily with the same shock settings as with the 90nm.

The stock .52kg/mm fork springs seem about right, if even slightly on the heavy side for my taste, but I don't care enough to buy .50's to experiment. Changing the oil weight has a pretty minimal change on dampening, lowering the oil level (increasing air chamber volume) will likely have a more noticeable effect.

Wether you intend to revalve or not, you should always start by getting proper springs and setting sag, followed by working through your range of adjustments on the STOCK fork/shock to find where they work best/ worst for YOU before sending it out for a revalve. This will help you get a better end product by being able to communicate the changes that need to be made to your tuner, or maybe you can find a setting on the stock stuff that you are happy (enough) with. There is no one "perfect" setting/ valve shim stack profile as everyone rides different on different terrain at different speeds, weighing different, and having different preferences.

I've had the fork and shock valving changed multiple times and it is getting very close to perfect for me but it has taken LOTS of experimenting. I actually changed to an entirely different style of fork (closed cartridge) to get what I wanted out of the suspension. The rear shock now has MUCH more compression dampening (twice as many face shims for starters!) and only a slight increase in rebound.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #12135
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 184
The Great Airbox Debate

Quote:
JB,
I will ask them that.....may I quote you as a credible reference?
Different Bob; and credible or not, as you may remember, I've a similar thing going on here on the Central Coast. My local has the box ordered and I'm still ridin' the bike.
When I next get to town, maybe Friday, I do want to ask them to explain the difference between a recall where the owner is notified by KTM and one where it's up to the dealer to notice/remember. It all seems so random.