User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #3286
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
Always glad to deal with an inmate!
Run a Google search for jiffy stand extenders if you decide you need something longer - the sporty wearing those before yours was okay without one, but just barely

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I just picked up a pair of rear shocks from a fellow inmate...thanks Tom!

I won't have time to mount them this weekend but they should give me more travel and ground clearance, I might need a new longer kickstand though.

Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #3287
stik__boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
New sportster owner here. I traded a 98 Suzuki bandit 1200 for an 87 sporty 883 with 3800 miles on it. The bandit was a block of soulless alloys. A great engine.....If you like 4 cylinders, which this last attempt at loving them failed for me. I prefer
v-twins & something mechanical sounding and feeling. Visceral. Think Ducati 900ss, of which I've owned 2 of. So I've never owned a Harley, although I've ridden a handful or so.....& enjoyed them all. I knew 2 blocks into my test ride that the trade for this soulful beast was a go for me!!!
Oh, the SOUNDS!!!! & The feel!!!!
Although the bike only has 3800 miles on it, it's not in "spectacular" condition, as it sat unridden for 15 years & everyone knows that's not good. I have mild plans for it, but nothing crazy...... for now I just plan on enjoying the wonderful sensations.

One thing that is killing me about the breed is the price of a few things. ....exhausts, forward controls, and air cleaners.
Really??????? $750 for a #! $@ sportster exhaust?!?! Yeah, there's cheaper. .....but something nice will cost you some TALL coin!
2008 Ninja 250 CCS racer
stik__boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #3288
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
If anyone is looking for a good deal on a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady two up seat, model number HD-XL-CU-4-GL, plain black leather, black welts and in excellent condition, hit me with a PM.

Tom Herold screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 08:08 PM
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #3289
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 395
A buddy of mine 'splaining his latest build;

Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #3290
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik__boy View Post
New sportster owner here. I traded a 98 Suzuki bandit 1200 for an 87 sporty 883 with 3800 miles on it. The bandit was a block of soulless alloys. A great engine.....If you like 4 cylinders, which this last attempt at loving them failed for me. I prefer
v-twins & something mechanical sounding and feeling. Visceral. Think Ducati 900ss, of which I've owned 2 of. So I've never owned a Harley, although I've ridden a handful or so.....& enjoyed them all. I knew 2 blocks into my test ride that the trade for this soulful beast was a go for me!!!
Oh, the SOUNDS!!!! & The feel!!!!
Although the bike only has 3800 miles on it, it's not in "spectacular" condition, as it sat unridden for 15 years & everyone knows that's not good. I have mild plans for it, but nothing crazy...... for now I just plan on enjoying the wonderful sensations.

One thing that is killing me about the breed is the price of a few things. ....exhausts, forward controls, and air cleaners.
Really??????? $750 for a #! $@ sportster exhaust?!?! Yeah, there's cheaper. .....but something nice will cost you some TALL coin!
What exhaust are you looking for/at?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #3291
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik__boy View Post

Not necessarily, one of the great things about the sportster is all the used and take off parts available. My bike was stock when I got it and I've done a crapload of things to it for less than $500. Exhaust, front & rear suspension, intake, running lights, plate holder, sissy bar, windshield and probably some other things I can't remember.

pvt joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #3292
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt joker View Post
Not necessarily, one of the great things about the sportster is all the used and take off parts available. My bike was stock when I got it and I've done a crapload of things to it for less than $500. Exhaust, front & rear suspension, intake, running lights, plate holder, sissy bar, windshield and probably some other things I can't remember.

You may have posted this before so forgive me for not reading it, if so.

What model is your bike? What exhaust is that, and where did you get it, how much, how does it sound/run, etc?

I'm currently running slightly modified Cycle Shack slip-ons (cheap and not bad at all IMO) but wouldn't mind a decent 2-1 system if the price was right and it sounded good without being too loud. Being that mine's a 2013 I'm only interested in exhaust designed for rubber mounts.

Nice looking bike, BTW!

TIA

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #3293
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Randy, that's a XL 883R (Roadster). I had a 2007 XL 1200R and still regret that I sold it.

If you're interested in a 2 into 1 exhaust have a look at the Patriot Defender - people rave about it on hdforums.com.

hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #3294
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
Randy, that's a XL 883R (Roadster). I had a 2007 XL 1200R and still regret that I sold it.

If you're interested in a 2 into 1 exhaust have a look at the Patriot Defender - people rave about it on hdforums.com.

Hey man, thanks for the reply. I guess I should have stated my question a little better since what I meant was what model year was the bike. I'm familiar with the Roadsters in general, just not which years were what. I guess what I was thinking when I asked was in regard to the FI bikes since mine is FI. But looking more closely I see a carb, and come to think of it, I don't even think the 883R was ever offered with FI, where they? What was the last year of the 883R?

My original train of thought was wondering how the bike ran with the exhaust and filter, and what he had done to correct fueling. But, now that I realize it's a carb'd bike I'd assume it was relatively simple with jetting changes. I do realize that FI offers some advantages and mine runs pretty damn good, IMO, but carbs are so much simpler and cheaper to deal with when doing mods... Call me old school, but I do like the relative simplicity of carbs... s

And yeah, I was looking pretty hard at picking up a 1200R back last year. Then I ended up with my 48... which I've been working on slowly turning into my own version of a Roadster, of sorts.... It's currently got Roadster shocks and damper rods, mid controls, and the four piston caliper from the XR1200, so now it has the ride height and cornering clearance of the Roadster and pretty decent brakes too.

And thanks for the Defender info. I've read a bit about them a while back but never really investigated too much. I was just curious about joker's because of what he said about getting all his stuff used on the cheap. Just thinking about what take-off/used parts I might consider keeping an eye out for in the future so if a good deal pops up I'll know whats what and can be ready to pounce!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 11-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #3295
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
07 was the last year for the 883r in the us. Only year for FI.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #3296
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
07 was the last year for the 883r in the us. Only year for FI.
Ok, thanks for the info. Couldn't remember the model years for them. I was thinkin' the 1200 lasted just a bit longer than the 883, and was available with FI, but wasn't sure if the 883 hung around long enough.

I've been kickin' around the idea of eventually picking up another Sporty as a project bike for w hile now. If I do, I'll probably stick with the carb'd bikes for simplicity. Might even go with a late model rigid mount ('02 or '03) just because they offer some advantages for the mods I have in mind, although I've never ridden one to see how I'd deal with the extra vibes. Some people say they're fine, others say otherwise. Guess it's just a personal thing. Just need to find one to test for myself I suppose.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #3297
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I've been following the work you did on your 48 Randy, great bike!

The last year for the XL 1200R was 2008 so the 1200 Roadster had two model years with FI as stock (2007 and 2008). In addition, the 2008 got the 4.5 gal tank, all previous years had the 3.3 gal peanut tank.

I hear what you say about the simplicity of carbs but I personally love FI bikes. Yes, you have to spend a few bucks on an aftermarket FI system but once you're over the investment it is so easy to make changes to the map and tune the bike.

I had a Zippers Thundermax on my Sportster and now a Dynojet Power Commander on my Guzzi and both systems worked fine.

By the way, H-D still makes the XL 1200R for other markets such as Europe - see http://www.harley-davidson.com/it_IT...-roadster.html
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #3298
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
I've been following the work you did on your 48 Randy, great bike!

The last year for the XL 1200R was 2008 so the 1200 Roadster had two model years with FI as stock (2007 and 2008). In addition, the 2008 got the 4.5 gal tank, all previous years had the 3.3 gal peanut tank.

I hear what you say about the simplicity of carbs but I personally love FI bikes. Yes, you have to spend a few bucks on an aftermarket FI system but once you're over the investment it is so easy to make changes to the map and tune the bike.

I had a Zippers Thundermax on my Sportster and now a Dynojet Power Commander on my Guzzi and both systems worked fine.

By the way, H-D still makes the XL 1200R for other markets such as Europe - see http://www.harley-davidson.com/it_IT...-roadster.html
Yeah, thanks on the compliments.

And yeah, I also hear what you're sayin' on the FI. I guess I'm just a cheap bastard! All of my research leads me to the PV for my bike, and I just hate spending $500 to adjust the fueling for simple mods like exhaust and A/F, when a few bucks worth of brass and tinkering gets me what I want with a carb. I mean, for some people that like to constantly tinker and change things around, or if I was doing head work, cams, etc, yeah, but I usually just do a certain plan of mods, rejet to suit and forgetaboutit. FI does offer some advantages though, no question about that. And, like I said, part of it is just my appreciation of simple, old school stuff... Kinda funny too, since it seems the older I get the more the older stuff appeals to me and the less attracted I am to the hi-tech newer bikes. Hell, until a year ago I never even DREAMED of riding a Harley, let alone owning one and wanting another!

And after meeting RTWDoug last week, and starting to read some of his ride reports, etc, my appreciation of older things has been growing. Not that I ever plan to take an old school Harley around the world, anytime soon, but I do like the fixability of the simpler things.

And then there's my recent experience with the brake servo pump crapping out on my GS... Only around $2500 to fix! Nah... I don't think so.... but that's another story altogether....

But, yeah, I'll probably go with a PV on the 48 eventually... Who knows? Maybe I'll become a convert and enjoy not having to get gas on my hands and brass shavings under my fingernails....

Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #3299
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
What model is your bike? What exhaust is that, and where did you get it, how much, how does it sound/run, etc?
Boy, things move fast around here sometimes.

Its an '06 883R. That's an older Bassani exhaust that I picked up in like new shape from craigslist for cheap. The intake is a Joker Machine that I found new in the box on ebay for even less. I'm cheap too and there's no way I'd run either of these if I had to buy them new. I was patient but it really didn't take very long to find anything for it.

This setup sounds and runs great. I went up to a 45 pilot and shimmed the needle .025". It came with the stock exhaust but I also ran Screaming Eagle II's that were way too loud. It sounds and runs just as good or better with the 2-1.

My preference would probably be to go FI but there are a few advantages that carbs have that make it a good choice too.
pvt joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #3300
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

Wow.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote