User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #691
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,634
Watched in bits and pieces, but a good race in the end. Good to see LH get one more Lord Ron before the switch to infamy with MB. We will call it JV-2, the repeat.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #692
seh750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Well run for a first year event

Just got home from my flight from Austin a few hours ago. It's a beautiful facility. Would love to run a track day on it sometime, but that's likely not in the cards anytime soon.

Other than one glitch with a cop who didn't know what he was talking about, the traffic management was pretty good. Took about an hour to get between the track and hotel just south of downtown Austin. I was parking at the track, don't know how long the shuttle process took but there sure were a lot of buses. One time it took almost two hours but that was due to aforementioned cop. Rental car return and the airport had extra people on hand, all that went smoothly. The whole town is very friendly, I thought people were friendly in the Pacific NW, but Texans take it to another level.

Track is lacking buildings that aren't part of the race. No permanent restrooms, only one permanent concession stand, no permanent souvenir shop. But lots and lots and lots of the above in various portable arrangements. Had some pretty decent paella and an ok chicken salad for lunch.

Moving around the track was time consuming due to the sheer numbers of people (heard reports of 83k on Saturday and 117k on Sunday). Didn't seem any particularly worse than race weekends at Laguna Seca. There are two pedestrian bridges that you have to cross in succession to get from the south end of the track to the main plaza. That took awhile.

For an inaugural event I was really impressed.

Oh and American Airlines royally sucks. 4 1/2 hour delay out of Portland on Friday made me miss my connection from Dallas to Austin. All flights on all airlines from all US cities going into Austin were 100% booked (gee, wonder why). Best American could do was get us to Austin mid day Saturday. Not acceptable, so we grabbed a rental car once we finally got to Dallas and high-tailed it (75mph speed limit on the interstate!) to Austin and pulled in around midnight Friday.
07 Suzuki GSXR750
04 BMW R1150RT (Project, for sale)
seh750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #693
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,662
This was my first F1 race. From nothing to f1 host in 2 years, pretty remarkable, no doubt aided by dry weather. I had tickets at turn 12, which looked like and turned out to be the best place to pass someone, right at the end of the DRS zone.

You would never know an F1 race was going on judging by traffic on the north side of austin, no traffic until I got to the expo center, which was no problem on friday, a bit worse on saturday when I arrived at 1030. Sunday was pretty bad though, spent about 20 minutes waiting in line outside the expo center after leaving the house at 845; had an asshat try to cut in right in front of the cops at the turn into the expo center but went around him and gave him a piece of mind.

The line to get on the buses followed suit, with the worst being sunday. Once on the buses though things went pretty quick, about a 15 minute ride to the track with no stops, but the 3/4 mile walk from the bus to the track, mostly uphill was a challenge. Then climbing up the grandstand was good for pushing the limits. Bag checks were mostly cursory
and went quickly.

Plenty of vendors, and lots of long lines. I never ate any of the food but brought BLTs the first two days. Plenty of beer the first 2 days, and most were served in the 16oz size, including stella artois. They also sold beer on sunday morning before noon, which is the law of the land outside of COTA. Merchandise was outrageously priced, with team t-shirts starting at $60.

The cars were awesome and blindingly fast, fighting for traction leaving turn 14, gearing down from 12 to 13 as the shifting up and down caused the occasional backfire. We saw a couple crashes between ferraris at 12 during practice.
As fast as the f1 cars were, the audible aura from the vintage f1 cars was even more intense, most were flat 12 ferraris but what a glorious racket.

The stands were packed tight on saturday and sunday, and the lines to get on the busses to leave were bad on saturday and especially sunday, when it backed up a half mile or so. Lots of people just ignored the end of the line and walked to the front making the wait longer, so I sat off to the side and waited about a half hour before it started moving again. Even so, i was home right around sunset.

The race itself was somewhat eventful with alonzo making another great start. Webber got in front of LH for a time, the LH got it back. Webber dropped out with the team's 3rd alternator DNF this year. LH got close to vettel, then dropped back until they all pitted. He made another run and got close enough to use his DRS when vettel hit some traffic and got past. Vettel stayed close enough to make a run himself, but LH never had to slow for traffic in the last few laps, keeping vettel out of the DRS zone. The nearby monitor gave us all a head up when to stand up and we did plenty of that as LH and vettel, JB, and a few others did their passing there. Lots of national flags flying and sergio had a vocal contingent every time he came by.

Anyway, a great job putting it together. There's lots of unfinished bits, chiefly the drop off points for the buses
and permanent restrooms and concession stands. Rain would definitely ruin any event held there now until they
get some road surface laid down outside the track. No night racing until they get lights.

Here is what COTA looked like a bit over 2 years ago (11/7/10)

Turn 17

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #694
danielcut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
It was a great weekend.

danielcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #695
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

two weeks
Old 11-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #696
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

This is it....

was thinking about doing a double purpose trip, never heard from the guy, and well the decision is made and it is a big effort. If I had never been before, it is something you need to see live. Hopefully next year it will be a battle weekend.

If you are going, bring us some pic's and reports please.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #697
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,807
7+ second interval almost the entire race between Vettel and everyone else.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #698
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
7+ second interval almost the entire race between Vettel and everyone else.
Yeah, he has them all covered for the moment. Let's hope the off season sees some improvement from other teams.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: