I just wanna ride again...
What happened?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #31802
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Last week was the kick off of the West Africa tour (ECOWAS Tour).
Infectious smiles, from those guys.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #31803
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
What happened?
Taking 9 hours of coursework this semester combined with my career and farm duties has put a halt on peripheral activities. since it requires much less gear; I can still eek out a run a couple days per week but no way can I effectively train on the bike. I hope to alleviate some of that as the year/semester draws to a close. I really need to maintain the base if I plan on racing at all next year.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #31804
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,446
Oh is that all! I was afraid you'd gotten hurt or something.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #31805
Ridge
Sinister Kid

ha... I would not wish that on anyone but I'm sure I would not feel as bad about not riding if that were the case.

I'm living vicariously through you guys until I can put rubber to pavement again.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #31806
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Garmin Edge 500 on the local craigslist, guy wants $135. These don't have any maps or nav right? I was wanting a computer for the LHT but you can get a decent Cateye for ~$30 and if I want to track a ride I usually just use my phone. Is the extra $100 for the Garmin going to get me anything?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #31807
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Garmin Edge 500 on the local craigslist, guy wants $135. These don't have any maps or nav right? I was wanting a computer for the LHT but you can get a decent Cateye for ~$30 and if I want to track a ride I usually just use my phone. Is the extra $100 for the Garmin going to get me anything?
My Garmin 510 gives me much more precise data than my phone tracking. If the cell signal is weak or drops out anywhere, my ride data can be sporadic or missing from using the phone plus I don't have to burn through the phone's, already limited, battery. The Garmin UI is pretty intuitive and easy to extract if you like keeping up with the metrics.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #31808
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
+1 to what Ridge said. Also, $135 is a smoking deal for that unit. You can probably resell it for more if you don't like it. My bottom of the barrel Edge was $10 less and it doesn't do jack shit, except record the most basic functions.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #31809
El Guero
V4 Whore

Thanks guys, I'll think about it... What's the battery life like on these things after being used for a year?

I'd been recording almost every ride using my phone and then decided that was only worth it for longer rides. I like the data but I'm not sure I do anything useful with it

Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #31810
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Thanks guys, I'll think about it... What's the battery life like on these things after being used for a year?

I'd been recording almost every ride using my phone and then decided that was only worth it for longer rides. I like the data but I'm not sure I do anything useful with it
I can get 3 or 4 rides that exceed 4 hours each on a single charge. I don't usually let it run that low, but it'll easily outlast your phone battery.

Is the seller including all of the sensors? (cadence/speed and HR?)
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #31811
Ridge
Sinister Kid

I'll sometimes go a week or two between charges. When I completed my double century back in June, my 510 had about 30% left on the battery after 10 hours pedaling and recording.

Yak brought up a great point with the sensors. They really enhance the accuracy of the head unit.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #31812
El Guero
V4 Whore

Doesn't look like it comes with any sensors, just the GPS unit, a charger, and a couple mounts. I think I'll probably pass right now.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #31813
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
I let the old, fat dood on the 'lectric bike beat me up the hill last nite. M's wife too for that matter. Had legs everywhere but the hill.

Yanno... its DARK at 1800 these days! Getting too. Yet somehow I end up overdressed, sweaty, then cold despite how little I'm wearing. One of these days I'm gonna figger it all out. Not last nite!

Wore some Roubaix fabric bib-knickers, thin booties, and 2 thin wool layers beneath a Gore Phantom jacket. Did OK when I was working, but despite the wool, I got sweaty and cold on all the descents. Other than stopping to change layers IDK what to do. I can't wear much less. I may try going without the sleeves on the Phantom and bringing another jacket to put on on top at the stop before the last downhill. Maybe that'll work. I'll let y'all know.

M
Old 11-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #31814
SV_Dwayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I'm right around 6,500 commuting miles for the year, was planning on being over 7,000 by the end. Probably won't happen now, was literally two minutes into my hour ride home last Friday when my front tire washed out on a crack on the sidewalk (still a mystery to me how that happens to 2.15" Big Apples). Felt my left hand get bent back, chin slammed into the sidewalk. I knew something was wrong with my hand, but being made of 90% stubbornness and 10% common sense, I rode the 17 miles home anyway with my front wheel wobbling against the loosened brakes (there's an argument for disc brakes right there). Went to an orthopedist on Saturday, x-rays showed a complete fracture in the largest bone in my left pinky, have a splint on now, cast tomorrow. It's not even a manly injury, but a broken pinky. Medical costs eat into the new bike fund (Surly Ogre), too. *grumble*

SV_Dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #31815
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Bummer dood.

Heal fast!

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: