Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #346
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Wow, glad you were able to share this experience and glad you were alright!
DRZ 400
Harley Road Glide
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #347
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Happy Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Unknown to me, someone I don't know started a thread here with my "unlisted" crash video. Since it's effectively now public, I have changed it to "public" on youtube and started my own Face Plant thread where I will also post the "rest of the story".

Back story: My buddy Kawtipper and I were halfway thru a 32 day ride on the Western TAT, both riding well set up DR650's. On day 18 we were riding up out of Eagle Canyon in central Utah when I had a very scary crash. I had my GoPro running at the time.

Here's the video. The actual crash is around the 5:00 mark. If you can you need to have the audio turned on, but be aware, it's NSFW. You can also increase the quality to watch it in HD.

More later.

================================================== ==========================
Making it easier for folks to find my posts relating "the rest of the story".
Wow that was a good one! Glad you are okay! This scares the crap out of me, where I do my trail riding it looks a lot like this with the very rocky terrain and cliffs ...
That 650 is a huge bike so I know its not like you can just whip it and throw it around,I ride a very old very heavy bike these days and I dread the day this happens. Thank god you didn't do the old when in doubt floor it method! I see you are in the Bay area. You ever rode Pozo in San Luis Obispo County? Happy Trails!!
MyHeartIsInTheDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #348
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 577
Man I cring every freakin time i see this, and so does everyone else I forward it to
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #349
middleview
gizmo

Oddometer: 51
Just read through the recollections from Joe and appreciate your sharing. Glad you came out relatively unscathed and ready to ride again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
middleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #350
Boxall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Just saw the video this afternoon, reviewed a dozen times.

I'm very glad that you were not hurt seriously. A punctured lung is pretty bad but you are very lucky.
Be safe!
Boxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #351
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Just caught this bus today, Joe, so I'm a little late to the "hot damn/glad you're OK" party. So put me in for one of each.

I know for myself, when that trail started climbing and getting very boulderish, I would have stopped and considered my options; not to say you should have.
I'm just taking Clint Eastwood's advice here.

A very harrowing thread and another reason I really appreciate hanging out at this website so much.

Mend.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #352
mudmullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Second time around seeing this and I still tense up seeing it. Glad you're ok
mudmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #353
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmullet View Post
Second time around seeing this and I still tense up seeing it. Glad you're ok
Yep. I have been following this thread all along. That video shows just how fast things can go pear shaped when you are riding. It also shows that there can be unforseen consequences when we ride if things go bad.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #354
AdakTriumph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Only because you aren't hurt badly, I feel safe in saying that that video was great. Sorry for your crash and stuff, but I got a laugh in good taste in. Hope the rest of your rides don't have the same result.
AdakTriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #355
SirBikeALot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Maybe you should take some trial lessons. Dougie Lampkin does drops like that when he fetches the paper.

Seriously, I was afraid to watch your video. Only by checking later posts was I certain that you had no serious injury and watched it ... waiting for "gory" parts using that little thumbnail preview thing ...

Thanks for sharing, and thank you especially for the detailed analysis and follow-ups.

But I was only half-joking when I mentioned trial. You said you weren't aware of the height, but I can honestly imagine you jumping that drop and letting the bike take the beating. What do you think?

PS: One thing I can't understand is how people get a laugh out of this. Guy falls over a cliff. boom. groan, moan ... and the first thing people do is laugh?
SirBikeALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #356
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBikeALot View Post
PS: One thing I can't understand is how people get a laugh out of this. Guy falls over a cliff. boom. groan, moan ... and the first thing people do is laugh?
Yeah, no kidding. Having fallen hard and wound up feeling punchy like that myself, my reaction was nausea.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #357
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
The book by Robert Heinlein "Stranger in a Strange Land" describes that human characteristic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land

"I had thought — I had been told — that a 'funny' thing is a thing of a goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants."

If you think about it any "funny" thing has some negative aspect.

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #358
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
The book by Robert Heinlein "Stranger in a Strange Land" describes that human characteristic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land

"I had thought I had been told that a 'funny' thing is a thing of a goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants."

If you think about it any "funny" thing has some negative aspect.
I think it's a matter of context. IMO, laughing at somebody who is injured indicates a complete lack of empathy. It's only truly funny if our laughter emanates from a place of recognition and relating to the situation. If the source of that laughter is the ego stroke of feeling superior, it really can't be construed as 'funny'. YMMV and all that.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #359
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
I don't think people are laughing at the crash, I think they're laughing at the stuff I say after I get up; which even I think is amusing even if I don't recall saying it. They may even have already read more of the thread and know that I am fine, and that frees them to have less serious thoughts on subsequent viewings.

Anyway, I have felt that the posts on ADVrider (at least in this thread) have been very respectful. I have even been pleasantly surprised by the support and civility of the comments on YouTube.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #360
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,146
This thread is one of the main reasons I now keep my SPOT on me instead of in my rear bag. I had to use it a couple of weeks ago - all I had to do was reach up to my shoulder and push the button. This lesson was really emphasized as I lay listening to my cell phone ringing - from the bike bag I couldn't get to.

I'm glad people post these experiences - really helps decrease the learning curve.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote